PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:19 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2601
EUBanana wrote:
nero wrote:
I don't see any reason to break any rule. :roll:

So it goes.

Nuremberg defence for this man. :lol:

There are laws, rules and orders. And illegal orders.

There is a difference. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 11 Bravo: YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY THIS GAME
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:37 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 13223
nero wrote:
Well, I was reflecting the old slogan: "get a hair cut and get a real job". ;)

Good luck to all your efforts, but stop whining, please.

I won't put up with Helsinki and EU telling us what to do and taking our money while trashing our infrastructure and telling us that we can't use our money to police, cure and educate ourselves where we live.

And one of these days it won't amount to just words. We provincials are still trying to find a way to get this shit of yours fixed through legal routes but ultimately we want self determination. We want to make our own laws and rules and decide how our taxes are spent.

This is all because of the attitudes and policies against provinces in the capital and in EU on a larger scale.

You may feel content and that things are as they should be but know that while this situation works out great for you, it will not last. These are not some random opinions of some whining sob. These are general sentiments here. In short, people here in our province and likely in others as well are done and through with the bullshit from the capital and Brussels.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:46 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2601
Kameolontti wrote:
nero wrote:
Well, I was reflecting the old slogan: "get a hair cut and get a real job". ;)

Good luck to all your efforts, but stop whining, please.

I won't put up with Helsinki and EU telling us what to do and taking our money while trashing our infrastructure and telling us that we can't use our money to police, cure and educate ourselves where we live.

And one of these days it won't amount to just words. We provincials are still trying to find a way to get this shit of yours fixed through legal routes but ultimately we want self determination. We want to make our own laws and rules and decide how our taxes are spent.

This is all because of the attitudes and policies against provinces in the capital and in EU on a larger scale.

You may feel content and that things are as they should be but know that while this situation works out great for you, it will not last. These are not some random opinions of some whining sob. These are general sentiments here. In short, people here in our province and likely in others as well are done and through with the bullshit from the capital and Brussels.

Kuules nyt Matti, sitä vaan saa väärän käsityksen toisesta kun vieraalla kielellä postaa vieraista asioista vieraille foorumeille. Koskee nyt minua ja sinua.

Pitäisikö meidän keskustella privaattipostissa asiat halki?

Kaikessa sovussa ja yhteisymmärryksessä.

Vilpittömästi.-

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:37 am 

Kyllähän sekin sopisi, ei siinä.

The biggest thing is, our situation is _unbearable_. We hate and loathe our government and people that stand to defend them get splattered all over themselves as well while not being the main target nor culpable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:26 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9423
Old Eagle wrote:
Hey Anthro, do you have to join that Rock Star Club to play?

Yes and no.

Yes in the sense that: you will not be able to do your first "logged in to Steam" launch of the game. I find the Steam client generally will choke if you try to launch a game in offline mode without having launched at least once in online mode. Probably ways around that but I've never invested the time to figure them out.

I just log in that first time in online mode, then quit the game before too long, and put Steam in offline mode.

The Social Club is some kinda online multiplayer thing, and I suspect it is the method (or one of the methods) that they sell microtransactions.

What I did when I saw that popup was I just told it to use my Steam ID for Social Club, got the game to run. Turned it off, turned Steam to offline mode, and restarted the game . . . That is all I have ever done and it hasn't caused problems. The control button for it only intrudes really in the game launch windows so it isn't a hindrance to playing the game.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:41 pm 
First Sergeant

AngryOldMan wrote:
11Bravo wrote:

Just getting into Silent Hunter 4 now.

Did you get that on Steam?
Seems like a lot of people are bitching that you can't use all the good mods for it if you buy it on Steam but if you get it elsewhere you can.
What's your experience been?

Yeah, I got it on Steam.

I was initially very anti-Steam, but I eventually faced the fact that: quite a few of the games that I just could NOT resist playing forever, were only ever going to be offered on Steam. I finally ate crow and just joined it and bought Skyrim. I was playing the game within 12 hours (seem to recall it was a pretty long download).

I've been a Steam convert ever since. Only ever had ONE 'bad' experience and they fixed it when I complained (refund for a game I accidentally bought basically). I have like 95 games, some of which have been major sources of fun (like thousands of hours of play, for example Skyrim, but others too).

They often have sales, they have an extensive catalogue of games, constantly new games, tremendous variety, reasonable download speeds, and a client-server dynamic that is fairly user-friendly and which you can generally use however you want. I prefer to keep Steam in offline mode most of the time and like I said in previous post, as long as I launch the game first time with Steam in online mode, no problemo.

There are a variety of ways to go bout installing mods for different games, and it generally depends on whatever the standard method is for the community around that game. But one rule holds true across the board: do NOT overwrite the "native" assets for the game with a mod. Virtually every Steam game has some provision for a "mod folder" (maybe not every single one but most). The mod folder will generally just be a replica of the directory structure for a given asset or group of assets in the vanilla game folders, and by being in a location that is remote from the main game directories, it averts problems. The game just has to be "told:" when you launch, instead of using C:\Steam\common\steamapps\GTA5\scripts\toyota

use

C:\Documents\user\common\steamapps\GTA5\scripts\toyota

It is generally no problem to do anything you want with a Steam game, as long as you stick to one rule: DO NOT install the Steam directory (which will have the client app, and lots of other stuff to support that client app and will also have directories for each game once you download them) into a UAC protected directory like the X86 programs directory.

I just have a C:\Steam directory and that works fine. With the games installed there, as child directories I can do whatever I want with them and neither the client, nor my OS will cause troubles.

There are a couple mods I recommend:
https://www.gta5-mods.com/users/GTA5MODS

Bilago's Mod Manager app. He has two Youtubes that will walk you through installing his mod app and plugging in mods. You can see a screen cap up above in one of my other posts that shows what it looks like.

This way: if you want to play with all your mods, you launch the Mod Manager app, make sure all are turned on (tick box), launch game. Or if you want to play online, you launch from the native launcher (the one you downloaded with the game) and it will launch the game with only vanilla content (no mods) and so you won't get banned from a server!

Mod Manager also makes it handy to turn off any mods you want to turn off while keeping others running.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:15 am 

Had Steam for over 10 years, got it almost as soon as it came up.

Not had problems with it. In fact I love having my games available when I need them. It was really handy when I was still a poor sob with no hard drive space and I could quickly download games that I needed without having to worry about the discs being broken which happened from time to time due to honorably borrowing to people who turned out to be idiots. Stuff like "I lost the disc number 3".

I also like that Steam has encouraged modern versions of old classics to be created, ranging from resolution fixes and making them run on new systems to complete overhauls of the graphics.

I also think that the centralized market place is great for indie developers. You don't have to try to get into 15 different shops and get rejected everywhere and only be accepted to Tom's Corner but instead you can place all your bets on getting through Greenlight and if you don't succeed - then your game frankly isn't a good one and you've just wasted a ton of time and money.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:05 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 9399
AngryOldMan wrote:
11Bravo wrote:

Just getting into Silent Hunter 4 now.

Did you get that on Steam?
Seems like a lot of people are bitching that you can't use all the good mods for it if you buy it on Steam but if you get it elsewhere you can.
What's your experience been?

I bought it on Steam and then found you had to buy the Uboat expansion to get the game patched up to Gold Level. Then I found the steam executable cannot be modified by the common Large Address Aware Utility that allows older games to use 4GB memory space for improved performance.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre ... re.112556/

Then I bought the Gold version direct on Amazon Download and had good success with utilities and mods.

Steam is great for most things except the odd situation like I got myself into. And also the auto update that hoses down highly customized and modded game installs. :x

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:52 am 

Oh yea, on some games it's a good policy to turn it off.

Then there's always the option of not integrating every game with Steam to begin with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:03 pm 
First Sergeant

Haven't played it for quite a while but I thought this one fit with GTA 5 pretty well.

Profile E-mail