maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vietnam Studies
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:21 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8315
Great stuff. keep it up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:43 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9415
Don't let knucks hoodwink you guys into thinking black folks can't be doin' nuffin ...

Colonel Fred V. Cherry

His story ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_V._Cherry

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Souls-Indivisible-James-Hirsch/dp/0618562109

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:45 pm 
First Sergeant

Had I been doing the game in 1/285th I would've used one for one troop scale, but in 15mm the scale becomes platoon level ... which matches up with our normal tactical level ground rules "Command Decision" which are in their 4th edition (Test of Battle). ToB does not explicitly cover Vietnam era, so I will have to improvise a bit, but the older "Combined Arms" version provides a basis. So for the rules, I will basically be upgrading Combined Arms to ToB level.
This troop scale is also compatible with several other rule sets included TAC, Spearpoint (not the 1943 card game) and Clash of Arms.

I'm focused on modeling the 1967 period when Fuller was the Brigade commander, as this is the best documented period in his book. So these OOBs are generally correct for 1967 from May thru Nov, the period from which I will be pulling my scenarios.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:52 pm 
First Sergeant

During 1967, there was only sufficient berthing space aboard the MRF Base to house two maneuver battalions. The 2nd Brigade had three battalions. So the battalions were rotated monthly. The 3-60th being rotated with the 3-47th and the 4-47th. In Nov, sufficient berthing was available for a third battalion and the Vietnamese 5th Marine Battalion was the first battalion to occupy this third berthing slot and joined the rotation there after.
The ASPBs were not available until November, so actually none of my scenarios will have the ASBPs.

I will be building three battalion equivalents of ARVN forces (one Marine, two regular) and 3 battalions of "red" forces (one main force and two local force).

There will also be a few fixed wing aircraft not shown in the OOBs (FACs and strike planes).

The engineer company was always busy repairing the few hard roads and their bridges in the area and to my knowledge never participated in combat with the assault units at least not during my period.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:10 pm 
First Sergeant

From left to right

Mk2 PBR
Not formally part of the MRF (TF117) but instead part of the Game Warden (TF116). The TF116 mission was to patrol the rivers and inspect the civilian shipping for contraband. On occasion they inserted and picked up SEAL teams and also on occasion they provided up river/down river and side channel security for MRF operations. It is in that role that they will appear in my scenarios. These were civilian cabin cruisers with "jet" propulsion ... they had no props ... but this meant they could operate in almost zero depth water ... and could even "fly" across sand bars ... on occasion. They had a twin .50 turret in front ... a pair of 7.62 one on each side ... and a rear mounted weapon usually either a 40mm grenade launcher or a single M-2.
In the game, one model will represent four PBRs enough to provide security for one "end" of the landing area. In real life, PBRs usually operated in pairs.

LCVP
Used by both TF116 and TF117 as general utility craft, moving troops and supplies and moving barges. I will probably use them to move the artillery barges.

ATC
The basic assault craft, converted LCM-6, These had a 20mm and 2 x M-2 in the turrets and carried a platoon of infantry. In game terms, each model will represent 4 actual ATCs and hence be carrying a full company.

ATC(H)
In 1967, all the ATCs started out as ATCs with the "tents". In early summer the idea of topping off one of the ATCs with a helo pad was implemented. It was successful and could be used for med-evac and resupply. During the rest of the year additional ATC were converted to ATC(H). In the game, one ATC in each division will be an ATC(H). Essentially this will act like a support stand for all battalion elements.

Monitor
The monitors were also converted LCM-6 but had a "bow" attached in place of the loading/unloading ramp. A 40mm gun was housed in the fore turret with a 20mm and 2 x M-2s in the rear turrets. There were a number of variants. The one shown is the CCB (Command and Control Boat) which had a "tent" amid ships housing radio gear. These boats acted as the division command. But most monitors had additional weapons in this area, such as 81mm mortar or swivel mounted 40mm grenade launcher. A few had flame throwers. A game vessel will represent one CCB and 2-3 standard monitors and based on scenario 0-1 "zippos".

These models are in the state of "completion of base paint application" ... next I will pick out the details and then apply the decals. I will be building the 91st and 92nd rivier divisions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:08 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 12496
That's interesting stuff. I'm enjoying the pics. Hopefully your mini painting will inspire me to make more progress on painting my own.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:37 am 
First Sergeant

Even 50+ years later, I am still interested in questions like "Why did USA escalate bombing, troop commitments in 1965 ...

There are a number of sources who toss out the idea that Kennedy would've pulled out of VN and hence not escalated ...

http://bostonreview.net/us/galbraith-exit-strategy-vietnam

I treat almost any statest about why politicians did things regarding the VN war, with a grain of salt, because everyone has an agenda ... but to answer the questions, you have to read the sources ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:09 pm 
First Sergeant

Even 50+ years later, I am still interested in questions like "Why did USA escalate bombing, troop commitments in 1965 ...

There are a number of sources who toss out the idea that Kennedy would've pulled out of VN and hence not escalated ...

http://bostonreview.net/us/galbraith-exit-strategy-vietnam

I treat almost any statment about why politicians did things regarding the VN war, with a grain of salt, because everyone has an agenda ... but to answer the questions, you have to read the sources ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:37 pm 
First Sergeant

Headed West ... and interesting "noise" ... due our respect.

http://supersabresociety.com/whats-new/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:55 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9423
You are a busy man Jwilk!

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next