maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cold Waters -- inspired by Red Storm Rising
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:13 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
EUBanana wrote:
Major patch incoming for this now, you can play the beta of it right now if you opt in on Steam.

Neutral shipping has been added so you have to be a bit more careful with your targeting now. Apparently oil rigs are in, though I've not seen one yet myself (I did see a humpback whale for the first time...). Some new missions, nothing earthshattering (attacking a SAG is one I noticed).

The difficulty of the 1984 campaign is WAY WAY up. Kilos are almost invisible now, though I've sneaked up on them so it can be done, but it's not like before where even the Kilos are spotted very quickly on passive sonar. Junk like Novembers are still meat for the beast but the more modern Russian submarines, while their ability to detect you is still pretty poor, are noticeably stealthier themselves, though not Kilo levels of invisible. Active sonar is actually tempting to use. And the Russian response to an attack now is totally off the chain compared to what it was like before. If you're attacking a SAG then you need to make the initial volley really count, because the response will be MASSIVE and it'll be evasive maneuvers being chased by a dozen torpedoes about 60 seconds after you fire.

On the other hand Harpoons seem more effective against surface ships than they used to be, used to be the CIWS would get them every time, I've taken out Udaloys with a single Harpoon in the beta though so I think something's up.

Was great to hear that enemies now reportedly launch 'best guess' BOL shots at you when they're under threat. Needed that for ages. 8-)

There was another Beta patch today.

Among some great adjustments & fixes, it mentions lowering the amount of weapons the AI deploys against you. Must've been really dumping them in one go in the earlier beta version. :lol:

I've not tried the new beta version yet. Gonna wait until the patch rush calms down and the meat of the bug fixing is done for it. Haven't been playing much of anything lately, anyhow, so no rush.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:31 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15175
Gets thumbsup from me so far, though yes, maybe dumping their entire arsenal as soon as they pick up the faintest hint you might be about is a bit overkill. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:47 am 
Sergeant Major

Just was hunting an Oscar SSGN. Found it pretty easily, near a humpback whale.

Fired an ADCAP. It evaded it for a loooong time, but eventually, with some help with me wireguiding it by hand, it hit. It did not kill it though, so that's a first.

Meanwhile it had fired 2 BOL shots at me. I was creeping away perpendicular to them, on the other side of the layer. Sometime about now the Oscar started actively pinging, found me, and fired another one more accurately at me. I was forced to go to flank speed to evade, and then the two original torps found me as well, so I was evading 3. Dove down to 900m, much crazy jinking, all of a sudden the hull imploded.

I think the crush depth is harsher as well, now, as going to 900m before was no problemo.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:55 pm 
Hair in the soap

EUBanana wrote:
Just was hunting an Oscar SSGN. Found it pretty easily, near a humpback whale.

Fired an ADCAP. It evaded it for a loooong time, but eventually, with some help with me wireguiding it by hand, it hit. It did not kill it though, so that's a first.

Meanwhile it had fired 2 BOL shots at me. I was creeping away perpendicular to them, on the other side of the layer. Sometime about now the Oscar started actively pinging, found me, and fired another one more accurately at me. I was forced to go to flank speed to evade, and then the two original torps found me as well, so I was evading 3. Dove down to 900m, much crazy jinking, all of a sudden the hull imploded.

I think the crush depth is harsher as well, now, as going to 900m before was no problemo.

Well.. I think the baseline chance for implosion, on an LA-class sub, starts somewhere past 1000 to 1200 feet in Cold Waters iirc. Which is less than 400m depth. So, yeah, I'm not surprised if you imploded at 900m. :P

Also remember that the chance goes up the deeper you go past the baseline, from what a dev said awhile back. It increases even more, as your hull is damaged, possibly reducing your simulated (i.e. real but unknown) max depth by up to 50% depending on how badly damaged you are. Flooding will also worsen, the deeper you get, due to the increased pressure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:43 am 
Sergeant Major

Its something like 950 feet in game for a Los Angeles, you can see it on the unit card.

And the depth gauge is in feet.

So if I was over it I was only just over it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:06 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 9460
EUBanana wrote:
Its something like 950 feet in game for a Los Angeles, you can see it on the unit card.

And the depth gauge is in feet.

So if I was over it I was only just over it.

But you wrote 900 meters in your earlier posts which is a bit more than 900ft. Hopefully you really meant feet and didn't order them to 2700ft.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Yeah I meant feet. 900 of whatever unit the game uses - which happens to be feet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Spent some of Christmas hunting commies in the Norwegian Sea, as you do...

Fired upon a Victor at very close range (about a kilometer), in the resultant chaos that involved a barrage of BOL shots back at me I ended up being chased by my own torpedo and one of his as well. While weaving around wildly I decided to try to get them to lock back onto him, and went straight at the Victor at flank speed.

It worked, dead Victor, both torps hit it. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:08 am 
Hair in the soap

EUBanana wrote:
Spent some of Christmas hunting commies in the Norwegian Sea, as you do...

Fired upon a Victor at very close range (about a kilometer), in the resultant chaos that involved a barrage of BOL shots back at me I ended up being chased by my own torpedo and one of his as well. While weaving around wildly I decided to try to get them to lock back onto him, and went straight at the Victor at flank speed.

It worked, dead Victor, both torps hit it. :lol:

8-)

That looks fun, Captain Ramius.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:41 pm 
Hair in the soap

Cold Waters is now available DRM-Free at GOG.com

Currently 20% off, too!

https://www.gog.com/game/cold_waters

..along with it's older cousin Atlantic Fleet which is 50% Off.

https://www.gog.com/game/atlantic_fleet

Both great games. Especially Cold Waters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next