maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cold Waters -- inspired by Red Storm Rising
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:33 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 10757
Beta patch came out, you need to subscribe to the beta to get it.

My noisemakers reload back in port now so that's a plus.

Planes don't seem to be quite so welded to me as they were before. Leaving combat seems a bit easier.

Got jumped by two November SSNs while roaming the Barents looking for SSBNs. Novembers! Shitty Novembers. Dropped into the tactical game at 25 knots, immediately went to full stop and silent running but it was too late, was dodging 8 torpedoes almost immediately. Tagged one November with a torpedo blindly aimed at the source of incoming fire, didn't even see the other one due to being at flank speed almost all the time.

Some absolutely ninja evasive measures, these SSNs ducking and weaving like fighter planes is great fun. :lol: Led one torpedo up past the layer, broke the water like some sort of nuclear powered dolphin, dived back down and the torpedo stayed up there, as it couldn't find me from the other side of the layer. Cunning!

Still got blown up though in the end. :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:28 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 12496
EUBanana wrote:

Some absolutely ninja evasive measures, these SSNs ducking and weaving like fighter planes is great fun. :lol:

Fuck yeah it is.

Initially, I thought having to use the WASDQEZC commands to manually control the boat was going to be a pain in the ass. But I quickly learned to enjoy it.

I won't complain about having a "go to PD", or "set depth to ___" commands, as in the Sonalyst sims or original RSR. But I'm glad we have the manual controls for the hairy ass torpedo dodging. 8-)

I downloaded the Beta version over the weekend. A revised also came out. Haven't played it yet, but hope to get back to it today.

Fun & good-looking 'Sim Lite'. When these devs start pumping out extra DLC content, they may as well take my wallet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

Brown Trousers Time!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:58 pm 
Hair in the soap

What did you doooooo?!

Fire some cruise missiles, and get a bunch of torpedoes dropped on your location for your trouble?

Whatever it was, looks like they recently got a fix on your positions. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:53 pm 
Hair in the soap

Found my first 'Death Star' today..

There was a major storm on the surface. Bottom was a bit shallow at ~511 feet. Sonar was washed to hell; ambient noise was 118db. :o Couldn't detect any sound except active pings at their range.

Had to go with ye olde Mk1 through the scope. Broke my Kirov-killin' cherry. Got a Silver Star for all the tonnage in that encounter (also got it's Oiler replen and a Grisha that tried charging me afterward).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Oo I killed my first Kirov just today. Took two torpedoes. Wasn't anything special tbh, battle started and it was dead ahead, perfect killing distance. It doesn't scare SSNs, I imagine it would scare any surface combatants though. They were supposedly to counter US carrier groups... 20 missiles each weighing 7 tons aboard. :shock: Russians don't fuck about.

Sunk a Kiev light carrier the other day. Took 4 (!) torpedoes, but after the first hit it was limping along slowly so it was only a matter of time (and high explosive).

Again, wasn't particularly hard (the Kiev actually sailed almost directly overhead, I let it go by and torpedoed it up the azz!). But I've only ever seen it once.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:29 pm 
Hair in the soap

It was easy. I think it would've been more difficult if the weather wasn't so bad, and that group had all it's aircraft up & available. Fortunately there was a nasty storm and no aircraft about. Still would've killed it, but they might have counterattacked with a lot of air.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:51 pm 
Hair in the soap

Mister Oscar kept dodging my second torpedo like he'd been doing it all his life. Watched four times as he'd drop a well-timed noisemaker and change depth just enough to make my torpedo sail right over his deck.

After watching it too many times, I realized there was a reason I wanted to keep my torpedo wire intact. Manual steer FTW! :twisted:

(reduced screenshot size)

I'm a bit surprised these enemy subs don't fire a BOL shot when they first detect an incoming torpedo (on 'Normal' difficulty atm). Ahh, well. Maybe in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Russian torpedoes seem to be total shit really compared to the Mk48. I'm not sure BOL shots would really do the much good if they really were firing blind. It'd stop you from ripple firing all four tubes and leisurely guiding them in I suppose.

I tried the 1968 campaign but gave up. ;) There must have been a complete revolution in submarine warfare between 1968 and 1984. Using the olde WW2 torpedoes, and that tiny baby ASW torpedo which is a total Hail Mary getting a hit with. The WW2 torpedoes really are obsolete by the 60s, trying to get that close is an exercise in futility almost. And the ASW torpedo, well, having tried to hit that, I felt some real sympathy for the poor commies in 1984 who are using garbage like that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:25 pm 
Hair in the soap

EUBanana wrote:
Russian torpedoes seem to be total shit really compared to the Mk48. I'm not sure BOL shots would really do the much good if they really were firing blind. It'd stop you from ripple firing all four tubes and leisurely guiding them in I suppose.

Yeah.. I wouldn't expect the desperate BOL return shots to be the perfect kill-shot setup. But at least they could possibly make you go loud & fast to get out of the way, and possibly break your wire-guidance.

I just recall having to deal with those a lot in the original RSR. The enemy subs in CW aren't as mean as in the old game. Yet, hopefully.

Was heartened by how well that Oscar was evading my second shot, after he had been made aware after my first hit fairly easily. If I hadn't taken over, his dodging my re-attacks could've gone on quite awhile. Was good to see, since most subs just take the first hit and die without retaliating right now.

Quote:
I tried the 1968 campaign but gave up. ;) There must have been a complete revolution in submarine warfare between 1968 and 1984. Using the olde WW2 torpedoes, and that tiny baby ASW torpedo which is a total Hail Mary getting a hit with. The WW2 torpedoes really are obsolete by the 60s, trying to get that close is an exercise in futility almost. And the ASW torpedo, well, having tried to hit that, I felt some real sympathy for the poor commies in 1984 who are using garbage like that.

Those torpedoes are terrible in the '68 campaign. I'm surprised they included that campaign, although I also wonder if some of the sonar sensors are a bit too good in that one. Compared to RSR, I think the Russkie surface ships have notably better active sonar range on their surface vessels, in both campaigns.

So the straight-runners seem pretty useless if you can't get really close to use them properly, due to that mongo active sonar capability.

I've been playing the 84 campaign on 'Normal' difficulty (one level up from default). Ever since they fixed the overpowered MAD sensors on aircraft, I'm rarely getting shot at. Still having fun, and some challenge, but I think the AI needs to be more liberal with firing it's regular torpedoes. Although they don't seem to have a problem holding back SS-N-14 rocket boosted ones. Just BOL'ing when needing to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next