maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:27 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2952
It´s sort of unplayable at the moment, there´s an unfixed carrier bug:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... t.1090883/

Did some experiments with Waking the Tiger Japanese, Bicycle Inf seems rather good, and the IJN has a path for Yamato-style superheavy BBs so you can work around the carrier planes insane attrition.

These ships eat up a huge amount of steel though that Japan does not really have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
My HoI 4 playing has been mostly with the "Black Ice" mods.

It's equipment and TOE(order of battle) for army/navy/air units its much expanded vs the vanilla base game.
What I also like about it is that the focus tree is better than in vanilla. It also doesn't branch off into some of the nuttiness than you might see in the Kaiserreich mods.

Black Ice also has a MP mod (named Total War) that I have checked out but never played as a MP with other people.
The Total War mod is still more in depth than vanilla but less complicate/intricate than the rest of the Black Ice mods----it's basically "Black Ice-lite"

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:33 am 
Sergeant

chijohnaok wrote:
My HoI 4 playing has been mostly with the "Black Ice" mods.

It's equipment and TOE(order of battle) for army/navy/air units its much expanded vs the vanilla base game.
What I also like about it is that the focus tree is better than in vanilla. It also doesn't branch off into some of the nuttiness than you might see in the Kaiserreich mods.

Black Ice also has a MP mod (named Total War) that I have checked out but never played as a MP with other people.
The Total War mod is still more in depth than vanilla but less complicate/intricate than the rest of the Black Ice mods----it's basically "Black Ice-lite"

I checked out BICE twiche in the past and between the added micromanagment (more tech, more equipment types where IMO vanilla is a reasonable detail/abstraction compromise and the addition of SS stuff (not missed - some ppl just cant do without a LSSAH white-on-black unit) I never really warmed to that when Expert AI delivers a credible AI defence of Poland, France and China and lends a certain urgency to defeating the Soviets.

Played the Great War mod as Austria-Hungary recently, good times.
Was able to send 5 volunteer divisions to the Ottman Empire during the Balkan Wars (1912/13 wars that broke the Turkish hold and liberated large parts of the area from centuries of Ottoman rule:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_Wars

Anyway, my intervention made that never happen with the Ottomans restored to power, annexing Greece, Bulgaria, Albania and Serbia. Prinz Eugen would be spinning in his grave :D

Not being sure what would happen now with events ... related ... to Serbia triggering WW1 IRL. turns out the HOI4 event assassination of Archduke Ferdinand triggering alright, Russia then France declaring war my buildup and fortification efforts in Galicia and vs Italy were needed after all.

It´s late 1917 now.
Austria-Hungary has pushed Italy back to --- the Po river.
The Russians took until 1916 to stop attacking, Ze Germans were so busy not getting overrun by France (French made it to the Rhine in the south, retaking Elsass-Lothringen, defending Belgium and Luxemburg, would have broken through but I had just trained 18 fresh new-template divisions)

The US has entered the war.
There no hope of crossing the Po, Russian is out of Poland and the Ukraine but holding _very strongly_ along the rivers, has held on the East Prussian border in the north.
It´s 6.5 million dead for the Central Powers vs 11+million for the Entente, my hopeful 1916 (towards and 1917 offensives using new tech and tactics each cost 750000 dead, winning 3 provinces in Italy, the Ukraine to the Dniepr. Which cant be forced, not in 1917.

I have advised Emperor Karl I to seek a negotiated peace :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:58 pm 
Sergeant

Another map on the Balkan War aftermath:

Poster of the Balkan League during the Balkan Wars reading: "The Balkan (States) against the tyrant"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Scharfschütze wrote:
Another map on the Balkan War aftermath:

Poster of the Balkan League during the Balkan Wars reading: "The Balkan (States) against the tyrant"

During the Balkan Wars my grandparents all lived in Hungary.
After WW 1 they all lived in Romania.
They never moved across borders, rather the borders moved across them. ;)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:16 am 
Sergeant

chijohnaok wrote:

During the Balkan Wars my grandparents all lived in Hungary.
After WW 1 they all lived in Romania.
They never moved across borders, rather the borders moved across them. ;)

When you look at the old maps of Hungary, it´s all of the lands of the Pannonian plain, all the way up to the watersheds in the North and East, South to the Save river and its confluence with the Danube at Belgrade, all the lands of the Kingdom of Croatia with its long stretch of the Adriatic coast in Dalmatia.

Siebenbürgen went to Romania after the 1919 war:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian ... manian_War
, Croatia went to new-formed Yugoslavia and Slovakia, the land north of the Danube and the uphills east to new-formed Czechoslovakia, the Banat was broken up.

All of that did not go down well in Hungary...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
All of that did not go down well in Hungary...

The ethnic Germans and ethnic Romanians in Transylvania were not too happy with Hungary either.

After Transylvania came out from under the nominal rule of the Ottomans, it was administered by the Austrians, who recognized the rights of the ethnic German (and to a lesser extent ethnic Romanian) rights to maintain their language and schools.
After the Hungarians gained effective control of Transylvania after the establishment of the Dual Monarchy, the Hungarians instituted a policy of Magyarization.

So it should come as no surprise when after the end of WW1, the ethnic Romanians and ethnic Germans in Transylvania saw an opportunity to improve their situation, they opted to join Romania.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

On the heels of good news regarding EUBanana’s health, I ask if there is interest in setting up a future HoI4 MP game?

Banana and I briefly chatted in Steam chat the other day.

I am up for it.
Banana sounded up for it.

Who else would be interested?

I suggest that we utilize the recent “Man the Guns” DLC for it.
As with MP games, not every participant is required to have purchased the DLC.
The only person who MUST have it is the player hosting the game.

We can discuss any special “house rules” for any such match.

I would suggest a weekend date.

I would also suggest we consider using DISCORD, or some other voice chat system as a way of coordinating setup of the game on game day. This could also then be used for allies to coordinate their activities/strategy, etc during the match.
FYI: DISCORD has both voice and text chat capability, so even if you do not have a headset/mic, you can still communicate with others via text chat.
I am the owner/administrator of a DISCORD site that we could use.

This invite is open to all, MadDog members and others as well, so invite your friends---the more, the merrier.

So, please indicate your thoughts and willingness to this.
Please list any suggestions, House rules you might like, and preferences.
I can look up and copy/paste some often used house rules from a MP site that we may consider using.

So, for organizational purposes, I list a few questions below (feel free to add):

Are you interested in a HoI4 MP (and if so, what is your Steam player name)?

Do you have any preferences for countries that you would or would not be interested in playing?

Do you have any certain days/dates that would/would not work for you?

Are there any certain house rules that you would like/would not like to see in a match.

Your thoughts on using DISCORD.

Last edited by chijohnaok on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Potential MP rules

Here are MP rules that players on the Black Ice mod utilize:

1. No Bug and Glitch Abuse
1a. No deleting or otherwise altering units that are encircled or clearly at risk of being encircled. This also includes deleting transports at sea who are under attack.
2a. No mixing of German SS and Heer in divisions.
2. No Staging Coups or Boosting (Unless Other Side Wants It)
3. No Major Ideology Change
3a. You can accelerate ideology change if historical. So Romania can go fascist early. But a democracy has to always stay democratic if historical unless all majors agree as part of a larger agreement.
4. No justifying wars that are not somehow tied to a NF before Danzig or at 100% WT. Wars as part of NF are OK.
4a. Danzig occurs July 1 - September 30 1939 and requires Molotov-Ribbentrop pact first
4b. For the allies, in addition to the above requirements, they need to wait until at least Nov 1 1939 if Danzig has not already happened.
5. No Soviet-German War Until 1940.
5a. For the Soviet-German War, any time after the Non-Aggression pact is over Germany may declare war after using the "War with USSR" focus which may be done and after the Molotov-Ribbentrop effect has expired. In other words, Germany can only do the “War with USSR” focus at the earliest in Spring 1941. Check the Soviet Nation Spirits to see the date.
6. No Fake Justifying (For World Tension..Etc)
7. No Trolls
7a. That includes being intentionally being annoying or over the top griefing. No forcing the game to stop, blasting noise from mic, or otherwise disrupting the game. If most of the other players find it annoying, it is. So stop.
8. Historical Factions unless all majors agree ahead of time before the game starts.
9. No Division Spam. Minimal frontage should be 10 before front reductions. Garrison / suppression units are exempt, but please use don't build more then you need to reduce lag.
10. No Factory or Any Kind Of Building Delete. Period. There is never a reason to delete buildings.
11. Only Germany, Italy, and Soviet Union can send volunteers (both land and air) to Spain. Soviets and USA can send Air Volunteers to China, but only one nation (no sending air groups to multiple Chinese states). No other volunteers can be deployed. The three SCW nations have to all agree to send anything more than just infantry divisions.
12. Lend lease is generally free. However all Chinese aid has to be sent overseas to Nationalists China. No land routes to aid them.
12a. No extra lend lease to the SCW unless Germany, Italy, and Soviet Union agree to it. If they do then only three of them can. Extra lend lease is lend lease sent by diplomacy tab, meaning giving help via events, decisions, Nation Focus, etc. is still always acceptable.
13. Fort limits:
13a. Land forts are 3 forts + 1 pillbox + those given by NF
13b. Sea forts are 4 + NF, except for islands, in which case it is a max of 2 + NF
14. USA may only DoW after Pearl Harbor. They may only do that at the earliest in December 1 1941. They may only formally join a faction when they are at war and France has fallen.
15. Nations which lag at 4 speed peace in 1936 may be kicked, since lagging that early is an indicator of later problems. It never gets better, only worse.
15a. Nations which lag at any point at 3 speed before 1941 may be kicked.

-------------

Here are MP rules from the Hearts of Oak DISCORD channel:

Copy/paste has been disabled so here is a link to them:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W8L ... s-Ew/edit#

----------------

Here are MP rules from the Total War DISCORD group:

1) No deleting of factories or buildings.

2) No boosting party popularity or staging coop unless agreed by everyone

3) Molotov ribbentov pact must be done by Germany before starting ww2 (danzig or war) and must be accepted by Soviet, the terms after polish capitulation must be upheld by both sides

4) No changing template of units encircled or of units that are overseas in ongoing invasions (such as units that have performed a naval invasion or paradropping into enemy territory last 3-4 weeks)

5) No volunteers sent to sino-japanese war. Japan cannot send volunteers to Spanish civil war.

6) Japan must puppet or declare war on China before january 1st 1939

7) no unhistoric ideology switches unless agreed upon by everyone

8) When molotov is signed, Germany may not guarantee the baltics or finland and USSR must accept the peace deal with finland. Romania must cede Bessarabia if in axis and molotov is active.

9) The USA may not join the allies before january 1st 1942 unless attacked or agreed upon by everyone. It can also join by triggered events or focuses.
10) Japan must attack the Allies before January 1st 1942 but cant attack before october 1941.

11) No manual war justification before january 1st 1939.

12) NO releasing and returning land.

13) NO military access.

14) Subjects must go same ideology path as overlord, must be called to war.

15) No land-based aircraft wing size below 100(Unless you have a very small air force of 300 planes or less or very few of that airplane type)
--------------

We are under no obligation to use any, some, or all of the above.
We can discuss/mix and match them to whatever the players would agree to.

Discuss!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:22 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18175
I couldn’t even get Black Ice working, it says it’s incompatible with the latest version when I tried.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next