maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:26 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15925
Real question is - is chijo up for another at some point? Is anyone else? The more the merrier!

Was impressed with the network code - it de synced once (given the amount of shit going on I think that's impressive!) and it managed to recover very nicely. The days of Paradox games and multiplayer shenanigans are over I think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:21 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
EUBanana wrote:
There are a lot of units but the battleplan system I'm really a fan of - lets you manage your troops well. I rarely order troops by hand, it's more allocating sectors of the front to which army and setting up offensives - those arrows you see on the map.

As for swastikas you can thank German notions of liberty for that.

I need more work in setting up those offensive arrows.
I've done it before but its one thing to be able to carefully set up one at your leisure (when the game is paused). It's another thing to do it while the game is running, your are monitoring multiple fronts at once and have all the other things going on to watch and adjust. I need to get to the point that doing so is 2nd nature for me.

A few times I had ordered retreat of my forces in northern Finland (but neglected to cancel the "Front" order for the units. Just as soon as they arrived at the retreat point they turned around and were heading north again. :evil:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:25 am 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
Real question is - is chijo up for another at some point? Is anyone else? The more the merrier!

Was impressed with the network code - it de synced once (given the amount of shit going on I think that's impressive!) and it managed to recover very nicely. The days of Paradox games and multiplayer shenanigans are over I think.

I'm up for another go. After all, all lives lost due to my bungled orders were of the pixilated sort---no harm done.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:18 am 
Sergeant Major

Retreating is hard. Harder than attacking. Attacking is generally done at your leisure more or less.

The way I do if is set up a fallback line which is where you want your troops to go - along a river ideally. Assign all your troops to it. When the front line moves to where your fallback line is, delete the fallback line and reassign all the troops to the front.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:56 am 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
Retreating is hard. Harder than attacking. Attacking is generally done at your leisure more or less.

The way I do if is set up a fallback line which is where you want your troops to go - along a river ideally. Assign all your troops to it. When the front line moves to where your fallback line is, delete the fallback line and reassign all the troops to the front.

I know the fallback line thing.
Knowing it is one thing.
Being able to quickly do it as you are being attacked along a 900+ mile front, while simultaneously watching the Japanese attacks in eastern Siberia is another matter entirely. ;-)

I had two major "Fronts" in the west--the Finnish front (along the Finnish border) and then the "Western" front, along the Estonian/Polish/Romanian border PLUS my "Tank Army" (consisting of most of my tank and mobilized units (with my "Spanish" veterans thrown in for good measure). The fronts on the various units started to overlap and troops got jumbled.. :(
The AI controlling your troops within your assigned fronts will occasionally redeploy troops to react to enemy pushes. This is all well and good if those redeployments make sense. But when you have a long front line (Running roughly from Estonia down to the Black Sea), I have seen troops being moved from one end of the line (Black Sea) to the other end (Estonia) at the same time other troops are being moved from Estonia to the Black Sea. Both units lose organization and then need time to recover once they arrive at the destination. I suppose that one alternative would be to break down such a long front into smaller chunks--lessening the redeployment distances.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

As you can see I had a bunch of armies, each allocated a chunk of front. Most of the work of managing them is using the edit command to drag the markers that define front width, the AI is constantly wanting to expand their frontage so you have to keep reigning it in.

When doing an armoured thrust I have my tank army assigned to a front of width 1 or 2 provinces. Then the whole army bunches up there. Give an offensive order and then they'll all steam off in a fairly tight line, especially with a bit of human management to keep the front width getting too wide.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
EUBanana wrote:

I'm up for another go. After all, all lives lost due to my bungled orders were of the pixilated sort---no harm done.

Cool.

... next Saturday? i'll see who else I can rustle up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:37 am 
Sergeant Major

Mmm maybe not this Saturday, the other chap can't make it then and we need 3 minimum I guess, though I'll see who else can be roused.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:34 am 
Sergeant Major

Got another game of this organised, there's 3 of us in so far. But if any of you lot want to play as well, great.

It's going to be 7pm GMT, so 2pm EST, next Saturday - ie, the 18th.

Anybody interested?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:09 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2952
I´d like to join if you would have me.

Never done HoI4 MP though - currently getting my USSR teeth kicked in by Expert AI 2.0 + Hard Mode mods in solo. Retreating is difficult indeed...

So what´s the setup this time? UK/GER/SU again, +X?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next