maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11323
Well...

Scharf = US, joined a bit late due to versioning woes
UK = me
Italy = some new guy
USSR = guy who was UK last time
Germany = guy who was US last time

House rules were, no more than 2 artillery brigades per division, no justifying

Allies absolutely hostomped the Axis, it was all over by 1941. Bit of an anticlimax tbh. Things were quiet until 1939 when Germany invaded Yugoslavia, wasn't much the Allies could do about it as it wasn't guaranteed or anything, and I was too cagey to just declare war right away as my forces in Africa were inadequate. Germany rolled over Yugo but they put up a pretty damn good fight actually.

Then Italy went for Greece, which was guaranteed by the UK, and all hell broke lose. Italy had a pretty new player, so some major fuck ups happened there. For starters he didnt join the Axis, but went for its own faction with Bulgaria, so the UK could whomp on him alone for a while. That meant I felt able to land 24 divisions of motorised infantry in Greece, and saved the Greeks. He had nothing in Africa so some Indian troops mopped up Libya/Ethiopia quickly. Then the Indians moved over to Greece and pushed the Ities back into Bulgaria, and eventually to surrender... about 50 divisions went into the bag there, so pretty much knocked Italy out of the war.

Then Germany was whomping on France but had a shared border with me in mountainous Yugoslavia, so that siphoned off a few troops he would have preferred to have in the west. The RAF was way bigger than the Luftwaffe too and he didn't achieve air superiority. End result, the Battle for France went badly for the Fuhrer, and with the Americans in the war too at that point, and attacked by the USSR in the East, it all went poorly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:36 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2077
Yeah Axis struggled a bit this time :D

Moment of WTF was when the Yugos stormed into Vienna 2 weeks after Germany DOWed them, Italy being no help there and quickly getting suckered into the Greek/Bulgarian disaster.

It basically was all over when I amph-landed my 10-div beachhead into Sicily :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

I fear this is why the less experienced need to be the Allies... an Axis win takes a long while even if the Allies suck. But poor Axis play means a very short game.

... I mean. Germany got whacked by the Netherlands. Yeah, with a bit of help from the UK, but not much. The /Netherlands/ ffs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:32 am 
Sergeant

As I mentioned you can open up the final save und use the console to switch through nations, as in

tag ger
tag ita
tag eng

etc.

turns out Italy was running an upgraded Celere Armored Div with 6xMOT,2xlARM,2xlSPAA,2xlSPART @24width using ENG/REC/MAINT for support.

Italy would struggle to keep such an outfit equipped, or actually build more than 5-6 divs worth of it.
Inf Div features 10xINF with ENG/REC/ART ... and a LOG company?^

German Panzer Div was 4x mARM, 2x mSPART,1x mTD and 2xMOT with REC/ENG/ART/MAINT/AA for support, 20 width.

SS Div features MECH... curious choices for both players using AA (even SPAA!) and MAINT companies despite not running upgraded variants.

And yeah, the Netherlands rolling the Reich was rather absurd, but then the situation had detoriated pretty badly by late 1940 for the Axis!
:mrgreen:

Edit: Good writeup on Div composition and mechanics, lots of musings:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bzg ... ef6qs/edit

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:43 am 
Sergeant Major

AA is a poor choice in general compared to fighters. That production line would be better used on fighters. in general.

MAINT, well, that ups reliability and so cuts losses. I wouldn't go for it myself but I guess it's one of those "never bad" things I guess and it's cheap to make as it only uses support and motorised. The downside is only the research used up.

Ities yeah, that's just massively out of their league.

LOG is good if you have bad supply lines. I was using LOG and still had poor supply in Greece so he may have had something out of that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:22 am 
Sergeant Major

Admittedly plain infantry are the last ones to suffer bad supply.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:42 am 
Sergeant

LOG, I just don´t see the investment (mainly the 2-3 techs plus changing templates) as worthwhile, even less so with MAINT. I´d much rather get a Decryption bonus, thank you very much. IMO the issue isn´t so much supply as proper planning bonuses and actually getting your guys trained, equipped and in position. That way you can do with less, however multiplayer is at times quite chaotic so just grabbing that stack of divs and sending it to the front without too much attention to detail happens.
:lol:

Also, you had the port of Athens for incoming supply there ... I think he tried pushing 30+ divs south from Albania and Bulgaria through the mountains, with the Bulgarians clogging up the battle lines as well and the Yugos trashing any hope for quick German help.

In an area where he had little depth, a potential enemy in his back and 4 air zones to cover. Hehe.

Hell the Brits even tried to reinforce mainland Greece historically:

Quote:
About 58,000 men and their equipment were moved to Greece by 2 April. These comprised the British 1st Armoured Brigade, the 2nd New Zealand Division and the 6th Australian Division, followed
by the 7th Australian Division and the Polish Independent Carpathian Rifle Brigade.[2]

Two infantry and two armored divisions were in place on the Aliakmon Line, south-west of Thessaloniki (Salonica), before the Axis (German, Italian and Bulgarian) invasion (Operation Brevity) on 6 April.[citation needed] The Greek Army did not retire to the Aliakmon Line as expected for fear of being overrun by the more mobile German troops during a retirement and the Allied troops were left vulnerable. These forces had little effect on the German invasion and they were evacuated (Operation Demon) on and after 24 April.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Lustre

so maybe have some plan for that. The original Italians finally sent in the Regia Marina and got a good licking at Cape Matapan, also smth to work for as ITA (Convoy Raid in the Eastern Med to cover your invasion against the aliies convoying in troops), or maybe do some landing yourself.

But then Italy ran Novus Imperium Romanum instead of just joining the Axis, it all seemed a bit random.

At least we had a basic plan (KRUSH RUSSIAH!!!) last time and some coordination. They did good on the World Tension though, but undid themselves on the Balkans, and quickly.
;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:09 am 
Sergeant Major

Yeah, was thinking of the real world Greek campaign there. This one went a little better. :lol: I have Conquest of the Aegean on my hard drive somewhere in fact...

My guys in Athens still had a supply penalty of about 15-25%, that's significant, and that was with LOG. That's also because I had 24 divisions of motorised infantry in 1 province, which didn't help, but that province was the gateway to Athens so they had to be there. I think LOG is worth it for fighting in far flung territories - if you are seeing supply penalties for your troops then it's paying for itself, if not it's not. So it fits the UK well, and probably Japan too - IIRC you actually built up Siberian infrastructure instead game before last.

I don't think MAINT is really worth it myself, no. Certainly not in 1940 anyway. By 1940 I never really seem to have enough of anything as any nation pretty much so you're not fielding the dream team at that point, and MAINT is a luxury unit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:11 am 
Sergeant Major

I think Italy didn't buy any naval bombers at all, the Regia Marina just got annihilated almost immediately. Actually that was a bit kind, it seemed to be a no show! the Mediterranean Fleet must have rickrolled them so badly that the CinC barely even noticed they existed at all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:12 am 
Sergeant

Russians sit on the only good infra in Eastern Siberia (no surprise) so its all about doing your own.

Since the area is so vast you can get very creative on the where and how - say land and create a port on the Sea of Okhotsk, build up infra from there, or smash Mongolia and put infra all the way to Tannu Tuva and the area beyond Lake Baikal which is a chokepoint otherwise.

All needing a couple of months and careful attention, but the USSR will have to counter whatever the Japs try.

Equipment: Yeah you need to have a working setup you can and do field once the fighting starts, not a fancy panzer div with 3 different types of tanks and artillery or MECH you cant equip yet but include anyway, making you understrength.

Not running naval bombers as ITA ... oh dear. It´s the best bet they got vs the Royal Navy. Easy to shift for nasty surprises.
:twisted:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next