maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:14 pm 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:27 pm
Posts: 1052
Reputation points: 2077
B-b-but I´m sure you can put carefully weighted sub hunter squadrons to cover 20+ sea zones the Axis might try to raid with the subs they got at start?

Plus the Med, if Italy is human and will contest? Or say the Japs, the AI does interdict at Singapore, I met Furious&Glorious, 6 assorted BBs and 30odd others off Saigon and let´s say I was lucky I was that close to home and could reinforce that quickly when I noticed my DD patrol had made contact with lots of brit carrier air.

Which leads to chijohnaok´s complaint about speed 3: IIRC it was 2 at the most critical times, but yeah I failed to redeploy and organize a pac defense in the 1st game since that would take 20-30mins if you know exactly what you are doing.

Continous real time punishes mistakes badly, on the bright side, this gets games finished in one session.

The thing is AFAICT there´s some very good options in the doctrines/nat foci/tech trees, but it´s hugely dependant on who is trying to achieve what when.

_________________
- Inhalt beweisgesichert im Auftrag der Bundesprüfstelle für abweichende Meinungen (BuPrüaM)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:27 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 26626
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 15634
Scharfschütze wrote:
B-b-but I´m sure you can put carefully weighted sub hunter squadrons to cover 20+ sea zones the Axis might try to raid with the subs they got at start?

Plus the Med, if Italy is human and will contest? Or say the Japs, the AI does interdict at Singapore, I met Furious&Glorious, 6 assorted BBs and 30odd others off Saigon and let´s say I was lucky I was that close to home and could reinforce that quickly when I noticed my DD patrol had made contact with lots of brit carrier air.

Which leads to chijohnaok´s complaint about speed 3: IIRC it was 2 at the most critical times, but yeah I failed to redeploy and organize a pac defense in the 1st game since that would take 20-30mins if you know exactly what you are doing.

Continous real time punishes mistakes badly, on the bright side, this gets games finished in one session.

The thing is AFAICT there´s some very good options in the doctrines/nat foci/tech trees, but it´s hugely dependant on who is trying to achieve what when.


Quote:
if you know exactly what you are doing.


Well, I for one can certainly not be accused of that. :lol:

Plodding along at speed 2 or 3 when you can stop and pause at will to micromanage (in a solo game) is one thing.
Doing a MP game at speed 3 with few pauses has all the potential for comedy gold!

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:46 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 10680
Reputation points: 11448
Scharfschütze wrote:
B-b-but I´m sure you can put carefully weighted sub hunter squadrons to cover 20+ sea zones the Axis might try to raid with the subs they got at start?

Plus the Med, if Italy is human and will contest? Or say the Japs, the AI does interdict at Singapore, I met Furious&Glorious, 6 assorted BBs and 30odd others off Saigon and let´s say I was lucky I was that close to home and could reinforce that quickly when I noticed my DD patrol had made contact with lots of brit carrier air.

Which leads to chijohnaok´s complaint about speed 3: IIRC it was 2 at the most critical times, but yeah I failed to redeploy and organize a pac defense in the 1st game since that would take 20-30mins if you know exactly what you are doing.

Continous real time punishes mistakes badly, on the bright side, this gets games finished in one session.

The thing is AFAICT there´s some very good options in the doctrines/nat foci/tech trees, but it´s hugely dependant on who is trying to achieve what when.


Navy isn't really about micromanagement anyway, the patrol zones are huge and if your patrol zones overlap the enemy they WILL them pretty quick so there's no need to baby them.

You do need to manage how much force and where. You want to do things like make sure capital ships aren't sortieing on 5% strength, that they aren't massively overmatched (Kriegsmarine amidst your 6 DD sub hunter fleets), that fleets aren't sortieing with no escorts because they've all been sunk, that sort of thing. In the case of the UK the 'not enough screens' is pretty common as they have so many DD 1s and 2s, which don't last long in battle, you might lose a whole fleets worth of screens in 1 battle. I don't really use subhunter fleets at all, I tend to have a North Sea fleet, an Atlantic fleet, a Channel fleet, and a Mediterranean fleet, and have them all quite big but quite balanced. That's not many fleets to manage. And you can see if they are in battle.

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:47 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 10680
Reputation points: 11448
chijohnaok wrote:
Doing a MP game at speed 3 with few pauses has all the potential for comedy gold!


Comedy gold is part of the fun. ;)

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:49 am 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:27 pm
Posts: 1052
Reputation points: 2077
EUBanana wrote:
Navy isn't really about micromanagement anyway, the patrol zones are huge and if your patrol zones overlap the enemy they WILL them pretty quick so there's no need to baby them.

You do need to manage how much force and where. You want to do things like make sure capital ships aren't sortieing on 5% strength, that they aren't massively overmatched (Kriegsmarine amidst your 6 DD sub hunter fleets), that fleets aren't sortieing with no escorts because they've all been sunk, that sort of thing. In the case of the UK the 'not enough screens' is pretty common as they have so many DD 1s and 2s, which don't last long in battle, you might lose a whole fleets worth of screens in 1 battle. I don't really use subhunter fleets at all, I tend to have a North Sea fleet, an Atlantic fleet, a Channel fleet, and a Mediterranean fleet, and have them all quite big but quite balanced. That's not many fleets to manage. And you can see if they are in battle.


This ties in with "if you know what you are doing...".

That UK setup is built on experience, some expectation of likely hot spots and what would be a sufficient force to have the most likely situations covered. Where to base DD ASW patrols to cover which areas.

But I do agree that a great many things can be set up a long time before they become relevant, and Grand Battleplan doctrine just adds boni to that.

_________________
- Inhalt beweisgesichert im Auftrag der Bundesprüfstelle für abweichende Meinungen (BuPrüaM)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:01 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 10680
Reputation points: 11448
It's been a while - how about - Saturday 29th, probably about 2pm EST, so 7pm Eurotime.

Anybody up for that?

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:54 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 26626
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 15634
EUBanana wrote:
It's been a while - how about - Saturday 29th, probably about 2pm EST, so 7pm Eurotime.

Anybody up for that?



I suppos that I could be bothered to lead the Soviet Union (or some other country) to senseless pixel defeat again. ;-)

If you want, I could reach out to a couple other players that I know who recently picked up the game and see if they have any interest.

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:02 am 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:27 pm
Posts: 1052
Reputation points: 2077
Let slip the dogs of war!

My bottomline on the "Death or Dishonour" DLC: It´s the 1930´s, where minors HATE their neighbours and are prepared to do smth about it :lol:

_________________
- Inhalt beweisgesichert im Auftrag der Bundesprüfstelle für abweichende Meinungen (BuPrüaM)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:40 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 26626
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 15634
Scharfschütze wrote:
Let slip the dogs of war!

My bottomline on the "Death or Dishonour" DLC: It´s the 1930´s, where minors HATE their neighbours and are prepared to do smth about it :lol:


I wonder what a game would be like with us each(ALL of us) playing minor countries (perhaps all in Eastern Europe)?

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:04 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 10680
Reputation points: 11448
chijohnaok wrote:
EUBanana wrote:
It's been a while - how about - Saturday 29th, probably about 2pm EST, so 7pm Eurotime.

Anybody up for that?



I suppos that I could be bothered to lead the Soviet Union (or some other country) to senseless pixel defeat again. ;-)

If you want, I could reach out to a couple other players that I know who recently picked up the game and see if they have any interest.


Sounds good, the more the merrier really!

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group