maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:45 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
I don't believe the + 1 that I mentioned will be showing. He mentioned to me earlier in the week that he had a conflict and I have not heard from him since.

I am still planning to attend as the USA.

MAGA! ;-)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:21 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2202
I´m sure your +1 will show up, he´s just not left the basement since Monday prepping the ultimate plan Siamese world domination!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11823
Well that was a bit abortive, what with liver disease and no shows.

I've got the save game though, we'll continue in 2 weeks, ie the 12th August. Same time I guess, maybe a bit earlier.

As it's August 1940 I guess the USA will do something for a change. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:11 pm 
Sergeant

Now wouldn´t that just be a waste of US taxpayer money on foreign entanglements? :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:47 am 
Sergeant

I liked the Soviets quite well in the 1st run. Once EUB realized how much I was helping the commie Republicans, he sent He-51 interwar fighters and a Panzerdivision to counter my I-16 Ratas and mix of mech and mtn divisions.

With Italy and Japan not interested in sending volunteers that´s a decisive 5:2 advantage. Red Brigades FTW!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

Scharfschütze wrote:
I liked the Soviets quite well in the 1st run. Once EUB realized how much I was helping the commie Republicans, he sent He-51 interwar fighters and a Panzerdivision to counter my I-16 Ratas and mix of mech and mtn divisions.

With Italy and Japan not interested in sending volunteers that´s a decisive 5:2 advantage. Red Brigades FTW!

Japan actually did in the end, but too late.

I always send the He-51s, they aren't of any use in the Luftwaffe really, and I always have a fairly significant investment in fighters. i want every 109 I can get my hands on but I don't need He-51 cannon fodder. So Franco can have all those.

If Italy was in there as well rather than in a completely boned position then I might have sent 109s I suppose but tbh. I don't think Spain is worth it really.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

The US can't send anything to Spain as the overall hostility level is not high enough to allow the US to send volunteers or Lend Lease equipment at that point in the game.

Hell, the US starts out in 1936 so short of guns, support and artillery that it is almost 2 years before it has enough guns for its own forces.

Sadly enough, what is reflected in the game was true:

Training with wooden machine guns, beer can artillery shells and 4 wheel drive "tanks" was a real thing.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:09 pm 
Sergeant

It´s a low-hanging fruit for the Sovs, you can send 5 divs, command them yourselves and it is no-holds barred on the lend-lease.

Easily, EASILY worth it for the land/air XP gained. Winning/losing does not matter, drawing things out would be a great idea but the Repub AI just folds early (36/7) if the commie side gets no help. Same if you fight the Nationalists, it takes very little to tip the scales as the Spanish units on both sides are mostly 2 btn militia outfits and as soon as you maul the few decent divs both sides got (5 reg army for the nats, 3 for the repubs IIRC with 9 btns and support ) it is game over for that side.

The Spanish Civil War is the gate to good div templates to produce in 36/37, and for a single souped-up ´36 fighter or bomber.
Would book again ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

Well, yes.

I think I was up to about 50 army experience by the time we stopped play. Having a couple of divisions there in constant action is certainly useful, the game simulates the 'training the big boys' aspect of the Spanish Civil War pretty well! it's definitely the main reason to do it.

I do wonder if the panzer units are the best ones to send, the starting German panzer divisions have very low soft attack. They can't be killed really and suffer very few losses but battles against Republicans take ages, especially in mountains, which Spain has plenty of.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
Well, yes.

I think I was up to about 50 army experience by the time we stopped play. Having a couple of divisions there in constant action is certainly useful, the game simulates the 'training the big boys' aspect of the Spanish Civil War pretty well! it's definitely the main reason to do it.

I do wonder if the panzer units are the best ones to send, the starting German panzer divisions have very low soft attack. They can't be killed really and suffer very few losses but battles against Republicans take ages, especially in mountains, which Spain has plenty of.

When I play solo play Germany vs the AI, my "Condor Legion" usually consists of 1 panzer unit and the rest motorized. I then try to use them in the territory that they are best suited for: the plains (and hills) from Madrid then southeast towards Murcia/Valencia. While Spain is a very mountainous region, and one would think sending Mountain troops would be a good option, I don't think that its worthwhile using Spain as an opportunity to train up Mtn troops when they will not get as much use during the rest of the war. Mobile troops (tanks/motorized/mechanized) units will always find a use later in the war.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next