maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:20 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14800
Yeah I assume no mods. Never tried any for HOI4.

I don't have the latest DLC either yet but I shall get it before we start. Only the host needs it.

And, the more the merrier!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:50 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2577
Saturday 8:30 GMT is fine with me!

What´s the setup, Maddog´s Axis of Evil I hope? :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

Based on past experience I think the 1939 scenario is probably the one to go for, means we can get stuck right in.

Also means we probably don't need any house rules bar the artillery one, as they are mainly about enforcing peace I think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:07 am 
Sergeant

Unfortunately, something has come up and I won´t be able to make it tomororrow :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:33 am 
Sergeant Major

Scharfschütze wrote:
Unfortunately, something has come up and I won´t be able to make it tomororrow :(

Lame!

Hopefully we'll still have enough though. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:22 am 
Sergeant Major

Holy shit that was some epicness.

Will maybe detail it after I've slept. ;)

Comrade Banana showed the capitalists in Finland the error of their ways though, and Finland is now a glorious realm of peace and love.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:26 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19774
A 7 plus hour Battle Royale was fought (not to conclusion yet).

I believe that EUBanana will do some sort of writeup tomorrow.

I am playing Italy and am pleased that I did not die within the first/2nd year (as I did twice previously playing Soviet Union).

Il Duce wavered at times but is still alive.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:03 am 
Sergeant

My highlight so far: Crushing the commie French Commune in 10 days :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:51 am 
Sergeant Major

It was the 1936 scenario despite threats otherwise, we had USSR, UK, USA, Italy and Germany as humans. I was the USSR so can only really speak with authority on the antics of the Comintern...

I got moving with purges on the second national focus, so the Spanish Civil War prequel was at the height of them. There's a huge penalty that diminishes over time due to the purges, so my 5 tank units there were, while still good, performing very under par and couldn't fight the German "volunteers" head to head. I mopped up a lot of NatSpa infantry peons but it availed the Republicans not, I noticed Nationalist Spain had air superiority throughout so the Condor Legion was doing its thing, also it didnt help that Zhukov got his tanks encircled and destroyed. The SCW went on for quite a while though, I think it ended around the end of 1937.

WW2 in Europe started in 1938 over Czechoslovakia, not sure what was going on exactly but France didn't join the Allies, so it was basically UK and Czechoslovakia vs Germany, which went about as well as might be expected for the Allies. The guy playing the UK is ever eager to bash fash but isn't actually that good at doing it, I fear... and got in there asap, to die asap.

Somewhere along the line in 1938 or 1939 Romania got involved on the Allied side too. I offered Russian volunteers but Romania collapsed too quickly (5 mountain troops migth have made a significant difference given the terrain and the fact Germany was attacking through a 1 or 2 provinces wide border. The British failed completely to get any troops in there though before it was all over; not that I think it would've been a good idea, would've been Dunkirk on the Black Sea if so.

Meanwhile France went communist, though they weren't interested in joining the Comintern.

After the Romanian adventure Italy started getting more involved, joined the Axis, conquered Yugoslavia pretty quickly. Seemed to dominate the Med from what I could tell, and it took years but eventually conquered most of Africa. The front line seemed to stabilise somewhere just north of South Africa.

AI Japan was beating seven bells out of China, which they conquered entirely by I think it was late 1939/early 1940, despite Russian lend lease. I kinda get the impression the Allies were basically ignoring China, which wasn't good from my point of view as the USSR, but at that time I actually somehow had a surfeit of artillery so sent them a few thousand pieces. It delayed things but didn't save them.

Was getting itchy about Barbarossa by 1940. Claimed Latvia and Lithuania and conquered them pretty quickly, then I invaded Finland in April 1940 and while it took longer (three months or so I think?) conquered them too. Mainly so Nero's ancestors could be humped by Uzbek commissars rather than any real need. :P Turns out invading Latvia and Lithuania was a very good idea to my own surprise. The Romanian border was looking a bit dicey, a lot of open space behind that in a potential southern front, so I actually invested in some static defences along the river there, not something I do all that often.

While I was tangling with the Baltics Germany declared war on the Paris Commune, which joined the Allies in response and was promptly conquered in like... 2 weeks I think? Uncle Joe could see what was coming so I declared war on Germany while that was going on, launched some attacks right across the front, none of which really amounted to anything much. Turns out the Pripet Marshes are one hell of an obstacle, and with no Molotov Ribbentrop Pact taking eastern Poland, the marshes were the front line for the central front.

There followed an epic struggle which has gone on for a full year and a bit now, all in a tiny part of the Eastern Front. Basically Germany managed to slowly push the USSR out of Lithuania and Latvia in that time, in some HUGE battles, WW1 style. The Red Army is absolutely gigantic, and fairly well equipped thanks to US lend lease, but there's only so many troops you can pack into the front in this game before supply becomes a problem, and we hit that point and then some so the infantry was stacked quite deep. The Departmento Munitorum wasn't scrimping on antitank guns which was a good thing too as there were a lot of German panzer troops there - but the USSR infantry horde could do a pretty good job gumming the Wehrmacht up as a result. (Actually one interesting thing fighting human players, against the AI antitank guns are semi-useless, against humans though they were the main bottleneck in my production, and grovelling to the US didn't work because they needed all they could get their hands on as well...).
After a year there were 1.5 million Soviet casualties and something like 900k German casualties, and all this to capture Lithuania and Latvia, so I thought I was doing pretty well all things considered. I think US weapons accounted for about a third of the Soviet inventory; the USA had the advanced 1940 pattern artillery long before I did so there were a lot of US 105mm guns in my armies. Weird eastern front though, the pripet marshes were totally quiet - we both tried to attack and both got slaughtered so we soon learned attacking in the marsh is right out, and crossing the river into Romania was right out as well so the central and southern parts were dead quiet from autumn 1940 on. All the action was happening in Lithuania/Latvia and around Minsk and Pskov.

To my own surprise the air war was going pretty well for the USSR too, it seemed like the Luftwaffe outnumbered me in bombers but I outnumbered him in fighters, and the I-16s did a good job. Kremlin intelligence revealed that the Germans were using the air construction national focus so I'm sure Fuhrer Scharf wasn't happy about the air war, seemed to work too as in summer 1941, the air war was sort of back to parity again. This was apparent in German offensives in winter 1940/41 which didn't get all that far (bad weather isnt a huge deal in HOI4 but it does have a noticeable effect when you have evenly matched enemies), and another one in spring 1941 which went better and almost reached Pskov. One thing that didn't help is that his airbases were closer to the action than mine and I suspect his air doctrines more advanced, as my efficiency and detection ratings were rather lower than the Axis ones.

I think another big problem for the Soviets is their miserable tech teams, with only 3 I had to be fairly picky as to what tech I picked up. Encryption tech was therefore skipped, and German decryption gives them a bonus in just about everything they do. I just unlocked the fifth tech team though so that advantage will erode a bit with time.

Manpower definitely isn't a problem anyway, industry is but the USA is helping there.

AI Japan was attacking the USSR in Siberia and making some progress, but not a lot. Not like I was scrimping there either, there must be about 80 divisions in the far east - special stripped down templates, without the antitank guns as Japan wasn't using tanks much. I consider the threat contained, anyway.

Much depends on the WAllies pulling their finger out, the USSR can hold for a while I think in its current state but it's not going to win, so I'm buying time for the dozy-ass UK and lazy USA to get in there! Second front now! Speaking of the UK India went communist (nothing to do with me guv'nor) so they are neutral now essentially, so I imagine their manpower is completely zeroed. I think the USA had landed in northern Africa and was giving Chijo the Italian the run around, and the US Navy apparently was doing very well in the Mediterranean in summer 1941. Comrade Stalin doesn't care though unless it means dead Germans.

We plan on continuing in 2 weeks!

Oh and as manpower isn't a problem and the Russians are fighting the Bad Guys head to head on their own, total mobilisation has been declared!!! NOT ONE STEP BACK!

Last edited by EUBanana on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:53 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19774
I know!!!! (In response to Scharf).

Il Duce barely had time to get his forces moving into France before they capitulated.

I would say my highlight so far was crushing 35 of Mr. Churchill’s divisions in Sudan between the pincers of my Italian Legions moving north from Ethiopia and those moving south through Egypt.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next