maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:27 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2952
It´s sort of unplayable at the moment, there´s an unfixed carrier bug:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... t.1090883/

Did some experiments with Waking the Tiger Japanese, Bicycle Inf seems rather good, and the IJN has a path for Yamato-style superheavy BBs so you can work around the carrier planes insane attrition.

These ships eat up a huge amount of steel though that Japan does not really have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
My HoI 4 playing has been mostly with the "Black Ice" mods.

It's equipment and TOE(order of battle) for army/navy/air units its much expanded vs the vanilla base game.
What I also like about it is that the focus tree is better than in vanilla. It also doesn't branch off into some of the nuttiness than you might see in the Kaiserreich mods.

Black Ice also has a MP mod (named Total War) that I have checked out but never played as a MP with other people.
The Total War mod is still more in depth than vanilla but less complicate/intricate than the rest of the Black Ice mods----it's basically "Black Ice-lite"

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:33 am 
Sergeant

chijohnaok wrote:
My HoI 4 playing has been mostly with the "Black Ice" mods.

It's equipment and TOE(order of battle) for army/navy/air units its much expanded vs the vanilla base game.
What I also like about it is that the focus tree is better than in vanilla. It also doesn't branch off into some of the nuttiness than you might see in the Kaiserreich mods.

Black Ice also has a MP mod (named Total War) that I have checked out but never played as a MP with other people.
The Total War mod is still more in depth than vanilla but less complicate/intricate than the rest of the Black Ice mods----it's basically "Black Ice-lite"

I checked out BICE twiche in the past and between the added micromanagment (more tech, more equipment types where IMO vanilla is a reasonable detail/abstraction compromise and the addition of SS stuff (not missed - some ppl just cant do without a LSSAH white-on-black unit) I never really warmed to that when Expert AI delivers a credible AI defence of Poland, France and China and lends a certain urgency to defeating the Soviets.

Played the Great War mod as Austria-Hungary recently, good times.
Was able to send 5 volunteer divisions to the Ottman Empire during the Balkan Wars (1912/13 wars that broke the Turkish hold and liberated large parts of the area from centuries of Ottoman rule:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_Wars

Anyway, my intervention made that never happen with the Ottomans restored to power, annexing Greece, Bulgaria, Albania and Serbia. Prinz Eugen would be spinning in his grave :D

Not being sure what would happen now with events ... related ... to Serbia triggering WW1 IRL. turns out the HOI4 event assassination of Archduke Ferdinand triggering alright, Russia then France declaring war my buildup and fortification efforts in Galicia and vs Italy were needed after all.

It´s late 1917 now.
Austria-Hungary has pushed Italy back to --- the Po river.
The Russians took until 1916 to stop attacking, Ze Germans were so busy not getting overrun by France (French made it to the Rhine in the south, retaking Elsass-Lothringen, defending Belgium and Luxemburg, would have broken through but I had just trained 18 fresh new-template divisions)

The US has entered the war.
There no hope of crossing the Po, Russian is out of Poland and the Ukraine but holding _very strongly_ along the rivers, has held on the East Prussian border in the north.
It´s 6.5 million dead for the Central Powers vs 11+million for the Entente, my hopeful 1916 (towards and 1917 offensives using new tech and tactics each cost 750000 dead, winning 3 provinces in Italy, the Ukraine to the Dniepr. Which cant be forced, not in 1917.

I have advised Emperor Karl I to seek a negotiated peace :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:58 pm 
Sergeant

Another map on the Balkan War aftermath:

Poster of the Balkan League during the Balkan Wars reading: "The Balkan (States) against the tyrant"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Scharfschütze wrote:
Another map on the Balkan War aftermath:

Poster of the Balkan League during the Balkan Wars reading: "The Balkan (States) against the tyrant"

During the Balkan Wars my grandparents all lived in Hungary.
After WW 1 they all lived in Romania.
They never moved across borders, rather the borders moved across them. ;)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:16 am 
Sergeant

chijohnaok wrote:

During the Balkan Wars my grandparents all lived in Hungary.
After WW 1 they all lived in Romania.
They never moved across borders, rather the borders moved across them. ;)

When you look at the old maps of Hungary, it´s all of the lands of the Pannonian plain, all the way up to the watersheds in the North and East, South to the Save river and its confluence with the Danube at Belgrade, all the lands of the Kingdom of Croatia with its long stretch of the Adriatic coast in Dalmatia.

Siebenbürgen went to Romania after the 1919 war:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian ... manian_War
, Croatia went to new-formed Yugoslavia and Slovakia, the land north of the Danube and the uphills east to new-formed Czechoslovakia, the Banat was broken up.

All of that did not go down well in Hungary...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
All of that did not go down well in Hungary...

The ethnic Germans and ethnic Romanians in Transylvania were not too happy with Hungary either.

After Transylvania came out from under the nominal rule of the Ottomans, it was administered by the Austrians, who recognized the rights of the ethnic German (and to a lesser extent ethnic Romanian) rights to maintain their language and schools.
After the Hungarians gained effective control of Transylvania after the establishment of the Dual Monarchy, the Hungarians instituted a policy of Magyarization.

So it should come as no surprise when after the end of WW1, the ethnic Romanians and ethnic Germans in Transylvania saw an opportunity to improve their situation, they opted to join Romania.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25