maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:44 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17794
Very comprehensive write up Stalin, errrr, I mean EUBanana. ;-)

From my perspective I would add the following insight:

Italy had a 2 divisions corps in Spain made up of a tank division and a mountain division...er I mean made up of 2 groups of tourists led by their tour guide Giovanni Messe. ;)
They noticed a group (5 divisions) of Russians in the Spanish countryside that appeared to be lost until the Nationalist Spanish authorities along with some Italian and German tourists helped them out. :lol:

Messe again had some unfortunate luck as he was leading two more groups of tourists visiting the border between Romania and Slovakia when war broke out there as well. Tour guide Messe was Johnny on the Spot again helping sort things out. ;-)

To add some details on Italy’s adventures in Africa, after I crushed those 35 British divisions in the Sudan, I moved an Italian Army group on a path roughly through the Belgian Congo, French Equitorial Africa, Nigeria and then ended up in Gambia. I have not even seen a South African division yet.

The Italian Navy tangled with the British and French Navies in the Mediterranean. There were some epic naval battles in the Tyrrhenian Sea. Italy took some losses against the French but gave out worse than it got. Italy was holding its own in Mare Nostrum until the pesky Americans showed up with CV task forces and things then got difficult for Regina Marina.

In North Africa the Italian Legion was making a sprint for Casablanca (coming from Libya) but the pesky Americans landed a force there and I was unable to dislodge them. I had a fortified line set up between Spanish Morocco and the impassable Sahara wasteland. I was holding my own there until the Americans landed an amphibious invasion in one of the North African ports behind my lines and I had to beat a hasty retreat so as not to get cut off.

Overall a very interesting war going.
I hope that we can continue our match before Paradox drops it’s announced DLC/Patch on March 8.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:14 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13131
chijohnaok wrote:
I was holding my own there until the Americans landed an amphibious invasion in one of the North African ports behind my lines and I had to beat a hasty retreat so as not to get cut off.

Sly!

That's how naval power should be used, right there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17794
EUBanana wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:
I was holding my own there until the Americans landed an amphibious invasion in one of the North African ports behind my lines and I had to beat a hasty retreat so as not to get cut off.

Sly!

That's how naval power should be used, right there.

Yup, if I didn’t know any better I would think that Douglas MacArthur was in command (he did that repeatedly to the Japanese in New Guinea). I had a unit in the port defending but it was not strong enough to hold indefinitely. And it was easier for the American forces to do so once his CV fleet was running around the Mediterranean.

——————-

On a note somewhat related to HOI4, but not to our match, I am playing a solo game as Germany using the BLACK ICE (aka BICE) mod. In that mod the weapons types are much more detailed than in the vanilla game. My “Grenzwacht arty”(aka border watch artillery) units are equipped with 8 inch artillery guns. I have at least one of those units planted in every port Germany holds in anticipation of such amphibious mischief.

In my BICE game Germany has more Naval guns on land than the Kriegsmarine has at sea. :lol:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:48 am 
Sergeant Major

Tim/UK is free for a week Saturday to finish.

I've not spoken to Migs/USA yet but after we quit, on the day he said he was available.

So afaik it's on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:39 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2452
8-) We launch at?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

8:30.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:33 pm 
Sergeant

Soviet Union folds! Finland liberated from the communist yoke!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

A catastrophic campaign (for the Russians) in early 1942 in Romania sealed it.

The UK being essentially knocked out of the war very by Italy/Chijo early on didn't help, the USA was trying desperately but just wasn't able to get online for 1942, unsurprisingly.

I should've been FAR more cautious. I had one Panzer Army and another building - the other building turned into reinforcements for the first one. Zhukov's Guards Army almost managed a big encirclement near Sevastapol and managed to close the vice several times but each time the Germans managed to create a corridor - a second panzer army would've sealed their fate I am sure! and maybe parity would have been achieved. But it seemed like the Germans had been checked - nope. My vast amount of leg infantry could gum up the defences but taking them on the offense was a very bad move.

AI Japan was soaking up huge numbers of troops too, but even there it could've been held. UK and USA were attacking out of Hong Kong into China (???) to help me and it did help, but a bit too late, by a few months or so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:39 pm 
Sergeant

The 1941 Lithuanian liberation and the extensive fighting in Byelorussia, both in the Swamps and around Minsk, cost me almost a million killed and forced me to abandon the Battle of Britain.

For the 42 campaign I had re-equipped most of my infantry to a decent template, plus 5 divisions with heavy tanks and deployed another 1K of my latest-model airplanes and shifted another 1k planes from France to the Ostfront. All for that final push. Coming to think of it, I also had just unlocked "Breakthrough" Tactics which AFAICT is difficult to counter as Soviets.
The battle raged mostly on the southern front, with a Soviet incursion into Romania, German breakthrough to Odessa, heavy fighting in the Don Basin with at least three large scale-battles, both sides trying to encircle.

In between I lost 20 half-divisions of FJ in a disastrous drop on and near Leningrad, with a planned 6-division naval landing failing to happen.

At some point in October-November the Soviets just collapsed.

The AI Japanese were out of control in central Asia and Siberia also, and had taken Pearl Harbor from a negligent US!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

The USSR was just running out of small arms. I had to maintain 100 divisions in the far east against AI Japan as well merely to hold it, barely. Japan had 250 divisions total I think - a lot. About 50 divisions were lost in encirclements when the panzers broke through to the Don/Kursk area. With the extra long front line I was then stretched dangerously thin. ... This is about when the 800 Tiger tanks were deployed. :lol:

Zhukov was holding the far south of the line with his T-34s and I really wanted them up around MOscow but there was literally nobody to really take his place, no one to fill that gap.

The WAllies were exerting no pressure at all against Germany even in late 42, no bombing, no nothing, because (I think) of Italy running absolutely riot for years, so they had to unpeel all of Italy's successes. And they were doing OK. The Suez Canal was recaptured, the USN was in the Med, Sicily was invaded. It was just a bit too slow.

Comrade Stalin would have preferred strategic bombers to directly pressure the Luftwaffe and German industry, but the UK had too many problems of its own and the US wasn't fully online.

Comrade Stalin also should have been far more defensive and cagey. At one poitn, before the Romanian breakthrough, there was all quiet. I should have pulled Zhukov back for a fire brigade and settled in rather than try dangerous offensives into Romania. The Odessa Army was partly cut off and mauled in so doing - bad idea.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next