maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Red Barricades
A vile American Conspiracy! Call the UN! O! The Humanity! 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
"This one last offensive should do the job!" 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
"For the Motherland and the Commissar, Charge!" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A great ASL Module. I'd like to read the replay over coffee and doughnuts. 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Re: Advanced Squad Leader
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 10371
Oct 25 so far, through German Turn 4 (awaiting Russian Turn 4).

Turn 1 saw both OBA modules red carding on their first card draw, derailing plans for OBA smoke to block line of sight from probable Russian arty observers. Redundancy in the plan allowed, 81mm chemical mortars, a PaK40, the 150mm IG, and a StuG-B to provide sufficient smoke for cover.

PzIIIHs (2 platoons) rushed in on the northeast corner as indicated on map. Yellow lines show path. One was nailed by a 76L russian dual purpose (arty, a-t) gun but the kill DR was a "shock result" followed by "unconfirmed kill" followed by "not killed tank recovered" and it reversed behind a cloud of its own Smoke Discharger smoke to a place where the 76 could not see it.

Filled blue arrows and blue lines show paths of German infantry advances. The day has been very strange. P broke one Russian 81mm mortar and it has not been fixed yet. I malfed an 81mm, a 50mm, the 150 IG, and a PaK40, but the 81 and the PaK40 have been repaired. In ASL, malf can be anything. Mechanical failure, out of ammo, or whatever. If you fix the gun it is presumed the latter was the problem.

A Russian sniper gunned down my 10-3 leader. It's irritating but I have lots of -2 leaders, so I can afford it. In return, a German 9-2 stacked with three squads with HMGs gunned down a Russain 10-0 commissar, so it all balances out in the end. One Russian squad went berserk and was gunned down in its death charge. A German 4-6-7 did the same with same result. We had an interesting Close Combat in X-17. Two Russian 5-4-7s jumped on a German 5-4-8 with an 8-1 leader. It should have been an easy Russian win but P diced up a casualty reduction rather than KIA and random selection wounded the 8-1. In return I diced up snake-eyes (infiltration and Leader Creation), eliminating both Russian squads, and spontaneously generating an 8-0 leader.

In the factories, I have effectively used Pionere grenade smoke to allow fanatic half squads with DCs to set charges off on stacks of defending Russians, and in one instance followed up with a Flamethrower attack. It's a very slow grind. I am really taking it slowly hoping that P will get impatient waiting for me to walk into his traps and instead induce him to move a little closer so that he walks into mine. ;)

Why attack this way on the 25th?

Plain fact is that the Russians can defend in depth in that slice of the factories and I can't bring down offboard artillery on them because lines of sight are too close, and observers located on rooftops or off board cannot see into the point of contact. So I chose Oct 25 to push south along the northeast side in order to flank the factories. Also, chains of north-south trending buildings and rubble mean that I more or less can put the same number of men at the point of contact as the Russians, but the ground is more open, so the German firepower and range superiority makes that a better prospect for the Germans. Finally, if I can get los back into the factories from the backside (northeast), OBA can make his position completely untenable and I can force him out of the factories without major losses in my infantry cadre. Or he can stay there in what will become a salient, then a pocket, and then be wiped out.

Balance of casualties really favors me so far, despite heavy cloud cover and the absence of Stukas. So far I am winning on casualty VPs but not anywhere near the 24 strategic locations required for a CG day win via conquest.

Attachments:
RBCGIII-Map 25 October end GT4.png
RBCGIII-Map 25 October end GT4.png [ 1.92 MiB | Viewed 177 times ]

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Oh yes. I also want to attempt a PzIIIH overrun on his mortar stack. That'd be fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

Puffs of white watercolor hexes are ordnance smoke. The yellow watercolor hexes are on fire from a flame left behind on the 24th, so no one can enter those hexes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Game Friday.

P is talking about what follows, on the assumption that I will continue to own the ground. Realistically, though, our game will last most of 2017.

He mentioned wanting to reverse the roles and reprise Red Barricades with him as the krauts and me as the Russkies. I'm good with that. I plan on doing things very differently. P has emphasized infantry. I plan on placing substantial emphasis on barbed wire and artillery as a kind of mobility denial and force multiplier tool to make the Soviet infantry more lethal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:46 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 1452
Thanks for the update, was wondering. ;)

I´m reading "Death of the Leaping Horseman" covering the 24. PD´s fate at Stalingrad, but have not quite reached the factory complexes yet.

They just missed the opportunity to seize the grain elevator and the Tsaritsa gorge rail bridge before the Soviets brought up troops to seal of the earlier penetration, maybe one of the effects of losing key leaders (like div commander von Hauenschild badly wounded by the ever-increasing artillery fire on Sep 12) while closing on the city,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

Here are a bunch of images of the setup at start on 25 October. The key area is the northeast and north central part of the map. Most of the Russians you see in this part of the map were destroyed over the course of the 25 Oct CG day. The game ended at the end of Turn 5. Once again, a German breakthrough was plugged by the ringing of the bell.

No matter, we ended the day with 33 CVP dead Germans and 41 dead Russians. Of the Germans, 14 were armor (three pz IIIHs and two crew) that I used trying to pin down Russians to inflict losses. PzIIIHs are disposable. One crew survived and was added to my force pool. One tank was taken down by a Russian 76L dual purpose gun, one by a Molotov Projector (similar to the English Home Guard's "Northover Projector" but fires glass balls of indendiary fluid and wp), and one by a flamethrower.

I lost a 10-3 leader to a Russian HMG kill stack, which stings a bit, but gunned down a 10-0 commissar in reprisal. Both sides malfed and then eliminated an 81mm Mortar and several light mortars.

The Germans won the day on seized terrain. Also, I don't mind the poor apparent CVP ratio because most of the Russian losses were infantry, and most of the German losses were armor, the malfed mortar, and the 10-3 leader. In terms of squads on the map, it was a solid 2:1 casualty ratio favoring the Germans.

The October 25-26 Campaign Day interphase was brutal to the Germans. A wounded 9-1 leader was called home. Three of the five captured Russian LMGs and one of the captured ATRs was sent home for analysis or something. The remaining three PzIIIHs were Recalled, and the Sturm Co I purchased in reserve for 26 Oct arrived Depleted (9 squads instead of 12, and missing its MMG and one LMG).

On the plus side, I diced up 18 CPP (the -2 modified helped) to buy stuff for 26 October, so the arrival of the Sturm Co in Depleted form did not represent a complete hosing of the CPP I expended for the forthcoming CG day.

That said, the overall picture still looks VERY good for a German Campaign Win.

Now: pix from the setup. The labels are descriptive.

Attachments:
25 Oct start N central.jpg
25 Oct start N central.jpg [ 289.54 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]
25 Oct start NE rus detail.jpg
25 Oct start NE rus detail.jpg [ 271.24 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]
25 Oct start NE.jpg
25 Oct start NE.jpg [ 234.82 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

S Central and SW Central

Attachments:
25 Oct start SW central.jpg
25 Oct start SW central.jpg [ 241.68 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]
25 Oct start S central.jpg
25 Oct start S central.jpg [ 249.88 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

Here is the front line at the end of 25 October.

Attachments:
End of 25 October.png
End of 25 October.png [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 132 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:12 am 
Sergeant Major

Crappy IPAD map photos of end of game NE and central sectors. In the SW little happened. Seized one stone bldg from the Russians merely out of opportunity, so the SW is not shown.

Attachments:
end 25 Oct cen.png
end 25 Oct cen.png [ 955.34 KiB | Viewed 123 times ]
end 25 Oct NE-Cen.png
end 25 Oct NE-Cen.png [ 1004.55 KiB | Viewed 123 times ]
end 25 Oct NE.png
end 25 Oct NE.png [ 957.47 KiB | Viewed 123 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:43 am 
Sergeant Major

26 October Through German Turn 2

German Turn 1.
Rally phase – eight squads deploy.

Prep Fire – Both offboard arty modules gain contact and battery access. 100mm comes down targeted at AA22 but lands in AA24, panicking a German ½ squd and 8-0 leader, and generating a Hero from the full squad that shrugs off friendly fire as yet another SNAFU of war. 150mm red cards on the second card draw required because of unknown enemy units adjacent to FFE (meaning they're under a concealment marker but there is no visible target in the area). StuG in U20 attempts to fire smoke at V21 but discovers they forget to requisition smoke shells last night. Hidden 80mm MTR in CC20 rubble makes the same discovery. 80mm MTR in DD16 dumps smoke in GG21 (level 1 stone bldg), FF21, and DD21. 150mm IG dumps smoke in K21. PaK40 dumps smoke in Y24 and we're off to the races.

Movement and Russian defensive fire: Germans place and blast DCs in V21, U22, U24. Russian Defensive fire in the area is largely ineffective. A Russian 76mm infantry gun in GG25 wooden building opens up on Germans moving slowly through the CC20, DD20-21 area concealed under the cloud of smoke grenades placed by Pioneres. HMG kill stack in AA25 level 2 with a Russian 9-2 opens up and breaks a couple squads but does not go on a rate tear thank you very much. Russia's best moment is when their Sniper picks off yet another German leader (a 10-2, dammit), but the Three German squads stacked with do a sniper check and reduce the Russian sniper number from 3 to 2. Their other good moment comes on the SE side when a 50mm scores a critical hit on a German squad and leader, breaking the squad. The DCs breach two interior factory walls, and follow up shots with flamethrowers and assaulting Pioneres break most of the Russians at the point of contact. The Germans don't advance in however. There is time enough to do the job right by pushing out the Russians, then searching for Set DCs, and only then advancing. The StuG repositions to V20 and stops.

Russian Turn 1: Russians reposition their lines and open up with the aforementioned HMG kill stack opening up but not getting rate and doing nothing in particular. The 76mm Infantry Gun opens up and reveals itself, losing concealment. Russians creep forward into the hexes they just lost in factories – fine with me. They're ineffective mostly in their advancing fire phase and set up to be shot out in Turn 2. German Defensive fire sees the 100mm being adjusted off of friendly hexes and onto enemies, breaking two Russian squads (one of which fails so badly its morale check it casualty reduces and ELRs to a disrupted conscript half squad). The StuG takes a shot and breaks its main armament. Have to fix that by the end of day or it will be recalled automatically. The two German 80mm mortars work magic and break a couple of Russian squads vicinity of FF21 and EE21. Best of all, one of them critical hits the Russian 76 infantry gun and collapses the wooden building, destroying the gun and its crew. Yeehah!

German Turn 2:

During rally phase, the panicked German 8-0 leader that routed because of friendly fire rolls snakes and battle hardens to an 8-1. During prep fire the 150mm comes down like a hammer on Z-25, breaking up the squad and crew manning the Russian HMG kill stack but making their leader heroic. This is good because he can't route from the FFE hex he's in. That means I'll be able to adjust fire onto him and really mess up that building (which as it turns out has been Fortified up to through Level 2). The FFE also scores a KIA on AA26, which severs a Field Phone line connecting the 9-2 to his offboard artillery: the Russians lose access to that battery for the remainder of the 26 October game day. I suspect that gives me a free hand, movement wise, in the NE sector. Germans shoot out a bunch of Russians in the factories and suddenly the kill ratio is looking good for the Germans after a rocky start, with something like 11 CVP racked up so far vesus 4 CVP casualties. The Germans seize V21, U23-24, T-24, S25-26, and BB21.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next