maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Red Barricades
A vile American Conspiracy! Call the UN! O! The Humanity! 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
"This one last offensive should do the job!" 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
"For the Motherland and the Commissar, Charge!" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A great ASL Module. I'd like to read the replay over coffee and doughnuts. 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Re: Advanced Squad Leader
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 10371
I can't tell you P's exact losses but they're on the order of 3.5x my losses, which are as follows:

4-6-7s: Have 26.5 squads remaining, lost 21.5.
5-4-8s: Have 5 squads, lost 7.
8-3-8s: Have 8.5 squads, lost 7.5.
PzIIILs: Have 1 vehicle, lost 2.
StuGB: Have 2 vehicles, lost 1.

Oct 23 was a good day. Shot out 68CVP of Russian squads... that's 34 squads or about 6 companies. Almost as much on 23 October in dead Russians as I have lost in the entire campaign.

My purchases for 24 Oct are 1x Rifle Co in Reserve, Stukas, Rocket OBA (150mm nebelwerfer) with preregistered hex, 81mm Battalion Mortar with preregistered hex, 40 FPP.

I need more squads on the map but at this point the need is to secure rear-areas from Russians that might use Sewer Movement to get into the German secondary. The Rifle Co reserves will be positioned near sewer exits in the German backfield.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Typo above. 34 squads is about THREE companies not six. (12 squads/co).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:14 am 
Sergeant Major

I forgot to include four 4-6-8s and three 4-4-7s separately. Those are 4-6-7s that either battle hardened to 4-6-8s or ELR reduced to second line squads 4-4-7s.

24 October begins the strategic morale phase of my campaign. Russian 1st line squads ELR down to conscripts. German 1st line squads ELR to 2nd line, then to conscript. If I keep attacking for about ten days the German and Russian ELR numbers will rapidly tank.

ELR presently is German 4, Russian 3.

Consider a Russian 4-4-7 1st line squad. If the squad takes an MC, and the final modified DR is greater than 10 (morale 7 + ELR 3=10) then the squad takes elan loss and becomes a 4-2-6. A German 1st line 4-6-7 squad with a final modified MC DR>11 (morale 7 + ELR 4=11) becomes a 4-4-7.

And there are shpiles of other penalties for conscripts as well. Their broken side morale stinks. They're Inexperienced which makes them worse at close combat and ambush tactics.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:38 pm 
Sergeant Major

Great 1st Turn on October 24.

The highlights reel. PzIIIL doing an overrun down the K hexrow (K29-K30) of Martin Electro-Furnace and held a RUssian squad there in Melee; German squads then shot out the Russian during DFPh of Russian Turn 1. OBA 81mm smoke landed accurately at O29 to screen out the attack on the south side. Ordnance smoke screened out the attack from view on the east vicinity of R20. Rocket OBA passed the two card draw test and drifted one hex to O25, where it destroyed two Russian squads, panicked and routed a bunch more, set flames in multiple locations on the long P21 factory, rubbled hex R25 in the next factory, and eliminated Russian antipersonnel mines in P25 and P24. In Close Combat German Turn 1 Germans took prisoners via Ambush in L27. In Russian Turn1 German defensive fire (DFPh) a Russian kill stack of three squads, 9-2, ATR, and flamethrower was badly shot up in T18, leaving one Berserk Russian suad there. An MMG rate tear also caused a Russian squad to Berserk in V15 and he is going to have to charge an MG kill stack in S16. P does not know that there is a hidden 75mm Inf gun right next to the MG stack so that Berserk squad is basically toast.In Y3 German Prep fire Turn 1 and German DFPh Russian Turn 1 a lowly 1-2-7 crew went on TWO rate-tears with a 50mm mortar, destroying two squads (one at a time as P set up on there and later moved one in) in Y14 wooden Rubble. A KV1 came out of the shadows and is lurking in V20 as though he plans to provide fire support there. During Russian Turn 1 CCPh (close combat phase) a Russian 4-4-7 ambushed three German squads (an 8-3-8 and 2x 4-6-7) with a 9-2 leader in N27 shellholes, but P tried to get a twofer (the two 4-4-7s) and muffed the DR. The Germans won the CC and eliminated the squad, rolled snake eyes in the process, and Leader Created an 8-1 leader. (That is two days in a row that the Germans have sprouted an 8-1 from the ranks). P also did CC from Q22 into P21 but was ambushed and lost the CC.

Fourteen Stone Locations seized so far: M25L1, L26-L27, M27, K28-K30, P20-P22, S17-S19, R18-R19.
Casualties: 23CVP dead Russians, (11.5 squads), no German casualties.

P has two Berserk Russian squads that are basically going to be hammered flat when they charge during Russian Turn 2.

Two lessons for ASL players especially if you're doing a historical module where you have lots of purchase choices to make.

1. Combined arms, combined arms, combined arms. Artillery, mortars, and (only two) tanks (and light ones at that... a PzIIIL and a StuGIIIB) have busted holes all over P's initial defense, and German losses have been correspondingly light.The combination of German ordnance and tanks, followed up by high power infantry shots as the infantry have closed up behind the tanks or around the ordnance, has been pretty brutal against the Russians.

I have Stukas in the OOB too but they have not yet arrived, Germans should buy Stukas any Clear Day.

2. Get lucky with the dice. ;)

Map on Monday.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:24 am 
Sergeant Major

OK. Here's the visual on German setup and plans, and actual OBA and moves end of Turn 1.

My "actual" Rocket OBA megahex is 1 hex too far south but I had already saved the file and don't want to redo.

Yellow hexagons are "as planned." Note that OBA smoke as planned and actual are identical. Ordnance smoke in the middle of the map only required three actual smoke hexes to do what I wanted. The "as planned" hexes are places where I could place smoke if needed.

Attachments:
24 Oct Setup.png
24 Oct Setup.png [ 1.76 MiB | Viewed 166 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:25 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 8533
I guess I get confused between the "turn" turns ... and the "campaign" turns ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

OK.

1. Each Game Turn has two Player Turns.

Generally EACH Player Turn is broken down into steps (phases), simplified as follows:

Rally Phase (Everyone): Repair broken equipment (such as a jammed MG), rally broken squads.
Prep Fire Phase (Phasing Player): Call for offboard arty, shoot smoke, shoot everything else.
Movement Phase (Phasing Player): Move men, guns, and vehicles that did not shoot during Prep Fire. (Non phasing player can shoot at them as they move).
Defensive Fire Phase (Non-phasing Player): Shoot with any units that did not fire while the Phasing player was moving.
Advancing Fire Phase (Phasing Player): Units that did not shoot during Prep Fire may shoot. Usually these are at reduced firepower because they moved.
Route (Everyone): Phasing player may now run away units that were broken by Non-phasing player's defensive fire. Then the non-phasing player may run away any units broken by Phasing player's Prep Fire or Advancing Fire.
Advance: Eligible squads and leader may move one more hex and attempt to get into close range combat.
Close Combat: Any location where both players have units in the same hex has a close range firefight.

So you do all of that ONCE each Game Turn for the Germans as Phasing player and then you do it once AGAIN each Game Turn for the Russians as Phasing player.

It takes about 1.5 hours to play each GAME TURN in Red Barricades.

2. Campaign Day

Each ASL Red Barricades Campaign Day is comprised of 5-8 Game Turns (10-16 Player Turns). The first Campaign Day was 17 October. We're currently in the middle of 24 October.

At the end of each Campaign Day, players remove their pieces and can reset them in new locations the following Campaign Day, along with any new troops that they bought for the new Campaign Day. When resetting you get to put your troops (more or less, there are some specifics into which I won't delve) in any ground that you controlled at the end of the previous Campaign Day.

On most days, the German is attacking (although the Russian may choose to attack also if he wishes). Once in a while neither player attacks. That is an "Idle Day." So far we have had only one Idle Day (22 October).

3. The Entire Campaign

Red Barricades Campaign 3 (what we're playing) lasts from 17 October to 19 November. The German player wins immediately if at any point he controls every single ground level, 1st level, and second level Stone Building level, or stone rubble hex, minus four, on the entire map. Otherwise the German player loses. On those expandable full maps I posted, every dark grey structure or rubble pile is a Stone Building or Stone Rubble. If a building uses two or more hexes it has a Level 1 in addition to a Ground Level in every hex. If it has a road going into it, it only has a Ground Level even though it's huge because it's a factory. If it is not a factory and it has a Big White Square in the middle it is a Stone Building with a Ground Level, a 1st Level, and a 2nd Level.

In Summary

If you try to work your way back through all the maps I posted what you'd see if you could flash them by quickly is a suite of maps that show the Ends (and in some cases, midpoints) of Campaign Days, in which the German line of contact is a line running more or less from the Volga on the northeast to the western map edge west of Tramvanaya Street on the southwest. The line of contact moves progressively from Northwest to Southeast with each passing Campaign Day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

And yes, my narrations have been a bit sloppy, conflating both Russian and German Player Turns in the narrative, by Game Turn. That is because with so many units, the exact sequence of events is hard to recall and I'm focusing on the "highlights" so to speak.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:01 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 8533
Aye, I played ASL for several years in the 90s ... so have some memory of the "inside the game turns" part ... but never played RB campaign so not familiar with the campaign game except what I'm learning from here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:36 pm 
Sergeant Major

We're having a blast. It has elements that playing "scenarios" only lacks. For ex you get to tailor your attack force to your general idea of what you want to accomplish, more or less limited by historic forces available at the time. Also, it's a big enough game that one mistake, one lucky break, or one bad break, won't break your Campaign Day (which is basically the equivalent of a "scenario") much less a whole campaign.

We each have had our share of decent luck. P had a force ELR increase to 4 going into 24 October because he rolled snake eyes on his ELR Gain/Loss at the end of 23 Oct. For my part, my ragtag band of small tanks has hung in there without being recalled, and the odds of all of them hanging in there for six dr is rather low... about 0.12. I've lost 3 of my six tanks, two of them to 45mm guns, 1 to an antitank rifle. Right now he's got some tank killers on the map (76mm arty, and two KV-1s) but none of them are anywhere near my tanks, so I can use them to mash Russians more or less with impunity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next