maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next

Red Barricades
A vile American Conspiracy! Call the UN! O! The Humanity! 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
"This one last offensive should do the job!" 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
"For the Motherland and the Commissar, Charge!" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A great ASL Module. I'd like to read the replay over coffee and doughnuts. 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Re: Advanced Squad Leader
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12194
End of Turn 5, near the middle of the map on south-central Tramvanaya Street. The long building with the road entrance is the F16 factory building where the Close Combat occurred at the end of the game. Note the Russian MG stack in J21 and mobs of who knows what lingering near and in factories.

Attachments:
EndT5TramvSC.jpeg
EndT5TramvSC.jpeg [ 363.41 KiB | Viewed 494 times ]

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

End of Turn near the factories' western edge. Almost dead center is a German leader, MMG, and squad that boldly strode into an unknown minefield, took no casualties, and seized an important stone building in the middle. The large brown rectangles mark the locations of Russians using Sewer Movement. The happy occasion is that the mob of Germans in the northern part of the L-10 M-10 factory have seized a stairwell, so I can start a squad on the roof on October 19. That will deny P any more factory rooftops in close proximity because I'll gun down anything he happens to set up on the nearby roofs.

Attachments:
EndT5Middle.jpeg
EndT5Middle.jpeg [ 327.97 KiB | Viewed 493 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

Finally here is a detail of the O-6 factory and the O-10 factory at the end of Turn 5, 18 October. The very large O-10 factory ends the game with multiple blazes and will start Oct 19 "gutted" -- which means it's all a roofless factory shell composes of exterior walls and interior fortified walls.

Attachments:
EndT5NW.jpeg
EndT5NW.jpeg [ 275.33 KiB | Viewed 493 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

Going forward I have a couple options. Start 19 October with a Pionere Co on map and plan for CQB in the O-10 and P-10 factories. Alternatively, hit one of the corners. Either the NE corner (where he will defend modestly) looking to surround and bag a company, or else on the SW side seeking to seize the J21 factory. The drawback to using the Pioneres is that it's all I can afford to get them on the map. The other plans would use a different, combined arms approach of the sort demonstrated these first two CG days. It's fair to say that my combined arms approach HAS succeeded. I've won both CG days and in each case inflicted at least 2 casualties on P for each on mine, and seized well in excess of the required 39 stone locations that are the measure of objective success according to the CGIII designers.

PS Another plug.

Advanced Squad Leader is published by Multiman Publishing of Baltimore, MD, and you can get the Rules, Beyond Valor (Germans and Russians), and the various Stalingrad Campaign games at their website.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

Perimeter, end of 18 October. Germans - black line, Russians- red line.

Attachments:
RB_Map_Perim End 18 October.jpg
RB_Map_Perim End 18 October.jpg [ 344.8 KiB | Viewed 492 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:50 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11164
I had a regular opponent in the 90s .. but this one is not for everyone ... lots of time spent turning the rule pages to find like rule 13.7.2.33.6 ... we proceeded very methodically ... many pure infantry scenarios before adding ... guns ... then many inf+gun scenarios before adding vehicles ... played all the small scenarios over and over ... but then I moved to Kansas and never found another player ... though I do still have all my crap for both the ASL and the SL.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:12 am 
Sergeant Major

Strangely, I have become much better at this game. The rules are pretty consistent throughout and most of the time you don't use most of them.

But if you play a Red Barricades campaign, you wind up using ALOT of them. And yet, we have not had to spend much time cracking open the rule book during play. We did have to dig around to see whether it is permissible to place smoke grenades in an exterior location of a factory hex with a interior Factory Wall blocking line of sight to the same hex. We decided it's not allowable. We might be wrong but we agreed, even though it changed what I needed to do.

But P has become a master of Sewer Movement, HIP rooftop locations (that will end in the next CG day because now I have some rooftop locations from which I can observe his rooftop locations), fortifications and minefields, and skulking.

I have become a master of vehicular bypass movement infantry freeze, air support, minefield vehicular trail break, and am getting better at identifying weak spots that can be exploited each turn.

The interesting thing will be if the Germans take an Idle Day (not likely in the near future) and the Russians take an attack day. If so, the Russians can choose a Night Scenario. Then we have to deal with visibility as affected by moon and drifting clouds, starshells, panic fire, illumination rounds, and "fire at gunflash."

Anyhow, best of all we're having a blast!

P feels he has done well only losing 39 casualty points (about two companies) in two days. I feel I have done well only losing five squads (10 casualty points) in two days and seizing some 50+ stone locations. We may both be correct. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

Game turn interphase prior to Oct 19:

The StuGIIIB with the malfed main armament repairs it.
The squad with the malfed LMG repairs it.
The wounded 9-2 leader is not evacuated.
Neither the PzIIIL or StugIIIB platoons are recalled.
One minefield is removed without casualties.
One 4-6-7 squad battle hardens to 4-6-8.
One 7-0 leader promotes to 8-0.

For Non ASL grogs:

Multiman counters (mmc) (squads, half squads, gun crews) have three numbers. Firepower, range, and morale. A typical German 1st line rifle squad is 4-6-7. An elite rifle squad is a 4-6-8. A typical Russian 1st line squad is a 4-6-7. Russian conscripts are 4-2-6. You add up firepower from one or more units to resolve combat from a CRT. For morale checks, the right hand number is the number equal to or less than which you want to roll on 2d6 if forced to take a morale check.

Single man counters (smc) (leaders, heroes) have two numbers. Morale (left) and Dice Roll Modifier (DRM). A good leader is an 8-1. A superlative leader is a 10-3. A shit leader is a 6+1. The leader's DRM affects morale checks of friendly mmc stacked with the leader, and combat result dice rolls for units shooting when stacked with the leader. On CRT rolls you want to roll low, so a negative modifier is good). And yes, there are some leaders who are crap (6 morale) and who adversely affect the morale of squads stacked-with (+1DRM). I don't have any of those. Given enough time and far enough to the rear they can rally people. They're also useful if they start hidden, with a radio, by themselves, for the purpose of calling down artillery (at which they are just as good as any other leader).

I've been systematically promoting my 7-0s to 8-0s. If I get a chance to promote a 10-2 leader (I have one) to a 10-3 I will. Otherwise, the needed leadership is at the lower end of things. I have several 9-2s still, and some 8-1s. (The progression from crap to best is 6+1, 7-0, 8-0, 8-1, 9-1, 9-2, 10-2, 10-3). Russians sometimes have Commissars. They're typically 9 morale, have no DRM (9-0); they allow "desperate" units to rally as though not desperate. But a unit that FAILS to rally under a commissar gets casualty reduced because the Commissar starts forcing people to choose between "rally now" and "be shot."

Apropos of nothing save your curiousity, American first line rifle squads are typically 6-6-6. They have more firepower because the their M1s. They also have assault fire because of their M1s and inherent BAR. They break easily, but rally like German 1st line squads because their broken side morale is a bit better. So they recover quickly when stacked with a leader and not taking fire.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

I made a typo. A typical Russian 1st line rifle squad is a 4-4-7, not a 4-6-7.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Game tonight -- 19 Oct 1942.

Added to my OOB:

1 module 80mm offboard artillery, plentiful ammo.
1 company of 8x 8-3-8 assault engineers/sappers with 5 DCs, three flamethrowers, and good leadership

My goals are simplified for the current CG day. Take factory hexes, eliminate Russian squads.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next