maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

Red Barricades
A vile American Conspiracy! Call the UN! O! The Humanity! 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
"This one last offensive should do the job!" 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
"For the Motherland and the Commissar, Charge!" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A great ASL Module. I'd like to read the replay over coffee and doughnuts. 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Re: Advanced Squad Leader
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12194
Attachment:
17 Oct end of turn 1_5 NE corner near S1-V1.jpeg
17 Oct end of turn 1_5 NE corner near S1-V1.jpeg [ 294.62 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]

The situation at the end of German Turn 2 prior to Russian Turn 2 at the northeast end of the map area. An MG kill stack with 9-2 leader (fire support) entered here Turn 1 and is going to have some fun in turns 2-4. To his east, a StuGB is stopped in debris and providing fire support with 75mm h.e. East of the StuG a squad with a 50mm mortar (more fire support). East of them, some Germans holding the northeast flanks and slowly creeping into the area. Russians concealed not revealing themselves. This is not the high priority area of the map because there are not lots of stone building locations... which are important in Red Barricades campaign games because the Germans have to control all but four stone building locations on the ENTIRE MAP by the end of the campaign.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

So. Narration as I can best recall it.

Russian Turn 2. Almost nothing moves. P feels that revealing Russians by shooting or moving them in German LOS is a good way to lose Russians. He's right. The problem in the early going for RBCG III, is that the Russians need to build up real force, starting with an inadequate force to defend too large a perimeter. So he has to be spongy but not soft in yielding ground, while not losing too many troops. So nothing shoots. Russians in the B-13 building light more Flames, but none of them convert to full on Blaze. For a Flame imagine a pile of smouldering trash. For a Blaze, imagine a room starting to really catch fire.

During German defensive fire, the artillery FFE breaks a Russian squad and Battle Hardens another. Those are the two squads that you can see next to the FFE counter near Tramvanaya Street. They also break a light machine gun in the German MG kill stack on the NW corner of the map (the stack with the 9-2 leader). The StugB support starts shooting at closer buildings to no great effect. The MG kill stack has no targets because Russians have temporarily skulked away but will return in the Advance Phase.

German Turn 3. No air support yet. The FFE continues after FFEC and pounds those two Russian squads, both break and are stuck, in a panic, in the middle of the FFE. Germans encroach further onto Tramvanaya Street and the PzIIILs bum-rush the Russians in the B-13 building, deploying smoke in their hex by means of a German smoke discharger on one of the PzIIIs, which remains in Bypass in their building hex. An elite half squad with a leader and a demolition charge lays it on them, survives the Russian Final Fire, and sets off the DC. Three squads break, but the Russian leader does not. He routes with them into a small wooden building south of the B-13 building complex. Germans advance multiple hexes of the B-13 building to claim objective hexes before the fire burn the building down and then they exit the buil

The German HMG-MMG kill stack in G1 stripes the concealment from the Russian squad in the stone building at F5 and "gets rate" with the HMG and MMG.... meaning that they get to shoot again. The Russian squad passes its morale check on a 3, which activates a Germans sniper. The German sniper rolls for random direction and distance and targets the Russian Sniper, knocking the Russian sniper activation number down from a 4 to a 3. The German MG kill stack rolls well. A morale check. The Russian rolls snakes, then a 10, and now has a Berserk squad in F5. The Berserk squad has to charge the nearest known enemy unit. I make sure that the nearest known German unit to the berserk squad is the MG kill stack.

During the Russian turn, the 9-2 leader rallies all three of those squads in something like B-16 wooden building. Then they fall back further south to the next stone building. Now the fun begins. Back in the vicinity of the FFE marker, the remaining Russians are blown to bits. The 80mm is doing what it was supposed to do. The berserk Russain squad in F5 charges the German MG kill stack and is gunned down on a KIA result.

German Turn 4:
Air support arrives in the form of 2 Stukas with bombs.

With a massive hole in the Russian line near the Fire For Effect, Germans move across Tramvanaya Street and into the F5 stone building. A parked German PzIII now in something like G7 gets a critical hit and blasts a Russian squad out of a nearby stone building. The StuGB fire support moves forward three hexes and one hex west to really provide CLOSE support. The MG kill stack in G1 comes forward at best possible speed. Multiple stone rubble hexes east of the RR tracks are occupied by Germans. A Russian 45mm ATG reveals itself way all helen gone down Tramvanaya St to the south, potshotting at PZ IIILs but it misses. Two intervening debris hexes make targeting difficult.

During the Russian turn, Russians open up on the Germans along Tramvanaya Street, but there's not enough of them, and all they manage to do is break a half-squad and ELR it from 1st line to 2nd line status. Russians start working on lighting up B-17 stone building and it succeeds. A Russian in G7 who was hidden, comes out of hiding to close combat a concealed German stack in Stone Building location F6. But the stack has another good German leader, and it's two elite rifle squads and a half squad. The Russians are ambushed, the German declare hand to hand, and eliminates the Russian squad. Kind of like a trap door spider sucking in a bug and then closing the lid to its hole. One of the Stukas strafes and then bombs the Russian 45LL antitank gun, and breaks the crew, who route into a nearby building.

By the end of the Russian turn the talley is 10 dead Russian squads (half a company, some rifle squads and some PPSCH squads). So I've met one of my short term goals which is to kill at least 20 CVP of units. More are in vulnerable locations, however, so I expect by the end of the game to run that up to at least 25, maybe 30 CVP, if the game will continue for a couple more turns. Next Turn we will roll a single die and on a "1" it means we're playing the last turn for the campaign day. This is key as well. With that big hole in the Russian line, I can seize objective hexes and roll up two Russian flanks if given enough time. If the game lasts three more turns, I might run the CVP talley up to 35 unless P decides to fall back in a decisive way.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

Attachment:
17 Oct end of turn 4 ne corner.jpeg
17 Oct end of turn 4 ne corner.jpeg [ 318.05 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]

Situation end of Russian Turn 4/Game Turn 4 in the northeast corner. Note German sniper sitting on top of Russian sniper.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

Attachment:
17 Oct end of turn 4 nw corner.jpeg
17 Oct end of turn 4 nw corner.jpeg [ 335.06 KiB | Viewed 331 times ]

Northwest corner and Tramvanaya Street on the NW approach to the factory complex. The Germans have opened a big hole in the Russian perimeter. All of the Russians seen in this area at the end of German 1.5 are kia.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Attachment:
17 Oct end of turn 4 tramv street.jpeg
17 Oct end of turn 4 tramv street.jpeg [ 350.18 KiB | Viewed 331 times ]

End of Game Turn 4 after the end of the Russian turn, north-central Tramvanaya Street.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

Attachment:
17 Oct end of turn 4 stuka.jpeg
17 Oct end of turn 4 stuka.jpeg [ 277.3 KiB | Viewed 330 times ]

Meanwhile, end of Turn 4, way all Helengone south on Tramvanaya St.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:20 am 
Sergeant Major

Dbl checking rules reminds me that the first day of RBCGIII only requires the Germans to seize 15 stone building locations. I'm only four away from that and the requisite four are within easy reach. So now it's about greasing Russian cvps and establishing a good position to start into the factories.

Remaining goals:

Send the other stuka onto the abandoned Russian 45LL on Tramvanaya Street. I want to blow it up. If I do, P has only 1 ATG to cover two avenues, so it would force him to spend CPPs on more antitank capacity rather than infantry, which will make my job seizing factories a bit easier.

Gain position into L6 stone building. Preferably as far as N6.

Secure remaining stone building and rubble locations in "the hole."

Trap and destroy at least two more Russian squads along Tramvanaya Street.

Bonus Goal: If I manage to retain battery access for another OBA fire mission, bring it down on the 9-2 leader along Tramvanaya Street. I'd like like like very very much if that guy were to be removed from the Russian order of battle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:24 am 
Sergeant Major

17 October Turns 5 and 6, Day ends after Turn 6 (end of campaign day dr=2).

Turn 5. Germans run through basements and level one hexes in stone building row F, revealing a hidden Russian 5-2-7 squad in a fortified basement in F6. I spend 2 turns trying to shoot the guy out but the +4 TEM and some really fine morale check DRs on P's part keep the squad alive. Unfortunately for the Russians, at the end of T6 the squad is encircled. The squad makes an escape DR, suffers casualty reduction, and the surviving half-squad makes it to Russian lines. Before he goes, however, he wipes out a German half squad that I unsmartly left at ground level in F7.

Along Tramvanaya St, Germans claim more barracks hexes, driving and shooting out squads position in buildings running N-S on the east side of the elevated RR embankment. One German squad is broken by a good Russian shot, and fails a subsequent rally attempt on a 12 (casualty reduction by fate). Far south on Tramv street, the other Stuka targets the abandoned 45LL anti-tank gun, hits it, gets a KIA, and destroys the gun. The Russian elite gun crew was not in the hex, so P will likely use them to man an HMG or something on the 18th.

In "the hole" the Germans push closer to the factories, and move tanks and infantry to reorganize to make serious and likely-to succeed incursions into the NW corner of the Foundry hall. Unfortunately, I'm ready to make that push on Turn 7, but the game day ends on Turn 6.

Russian moves mostly involve skulking back into factories to avoid artillery fire and put units in places to force me to deploy.

The day ends with a German Victory. Something like 26 stone building locations captured. The Germans inflict precisely 20 CVP harm to the Russians... 19 points in infantry (9.5 squads or just a bit less than a full company) and 1 point for the destroyed ATG. Total German casualties are 2 CVP -- one full 4-6-7 first line rifle squad.

Things that worked well for me. 1. Vehicular bypass movement freeze imposed on Russians to hold them in place so I could move up big stacks of 5-3-8 elite sturms to deliver killing shots. Artillery. Stukas. Tanks providing fire support. Mostly the tanks would acquire Russians in hexes, strip them of concealment, and force P to move them back. Forcing him to fall back in turn allows my Germans to move in.

I suppose this is WW2 in a nutshell. If I had to guess how much of my force actually used firepower (made a DR), I'd say maybe 25% of the squads and most of the tanks. The rest were basically seizing ground, consolidating gains, clearing empty buildings, and positioning themselves to be a threat.

Interday turn events.

A German 7-0 leader promotes to 8-0. These are secret DR. I am sure one of Phil's leaders promoted. No idea which one. My best luck comes with mmc battle hardening DR, which is a snake-eyes, and modified lower because of winning the day and inflicting 20CVP. Five of my squads battle harden, transitioning from "first line" 4-6-7 rifle squads to Elite 4-6-8s. Elite gives them a smoke grenade deployment improvement, and of course Morale 8 is a substantial improvement over Morale 7.

Both German tank companies (three StugIIIBs, three PzIIILs) are retained. I also carry over an unused module of 80mm Bn Mortar OBA (plentiful ammo). The Stukas you only get for the day that you buy them, so my two Ju87 pilots depart the battlefield happy to have eliminated a Russian tank buster.

For 18 October I dice up 16 campaign purchase points that can be used to increase my order of battle. Not sure what to buy yet. To get a Pionere company with DCs and Flamethrowers I'd have to spend the whole 16, but it might be worth it. On the other hand, he's likely to stuff the Foundry building with Militia, who are pretty damb good inside factories. If I choose something less expensive, like a Sturm Company with DCs, I can maybe purchase some 150mm OBA and really blast the crap out of some of the Russian buildings. The real Germans did same, in the real war, forcing the Russians to hug the German lines. P is not into the Russian Hug strategy yet, so maybe I should change things up to mess with his plan.

Images to follow.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:45 am 
Sergeant Major

End of Turn 6 and end of 17 October, NE corner

Attachments:
17 Oct end t6 NE.jpeg
17 Oct end t6 NE.jpeg [ 282.2 KiB | Viewed 302 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:45 am 
Sergeant Major

NW corner, near Foundry.

Attachments:
17 Oct end t6 ne 2.jpeg
17 Oct end t6 ne 2.jpeg [ 335.03 KiB | Viewed 302 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next