maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Red Barricades
A vile American Conspiracy! Call the UN! O! The Humanity! 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
"This one last offensive should do the job!" 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
"For the Motherland and the Commissar, Charge!" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A great ASL Module. I'd like to read the replay over coffee and doughnuts. 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Re: Advanced Squad Leader
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11032
Game Friday. I will remember to bring the ipad so I can take pix at the end of each Game Turn.

Further objectives for 24 October.

Purple will be seized by Germans in Turn 2.

Yellow includes some hexes already taken and others I want to seize by the end of 24 Oct and that I figure I can probably seize w/o heavy losses.

Red are "stretch goals."

Foremost, the objective for the day was to seize small amounts of ground, eliminate lots of Russian squads, and do it with low casualties. The Rocket OBA was exceptionally effective in punching a hole, so I have a 1 or 2 turn window to exploit it to gain ground and then see if P wants to counterattack. I'm good with spending a couple of CG Days creeping through the remainder of the main factory complex as long as I can do it while keeping my casualties low and keeping his casualties moderate-high.

Attachments:
24 Oct Further objectives.png
24 Oct Further objectives.png [ 1.88 MiB | Viewed 480 times ]

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Pix.
First, situation at the end of Turn 1, south central near the gun tube hall and Martin electrofurnace
Then, the center of the map south central and north central end of Turn 3.

Highlights. I tried an end around with the PZ IIIL in the debris field south of Martin. It bogged and was destroyed by a 76L dual purpose gun. The crew survived but was gunned down by a rate tear from Russians in the town with a lend-lease .50cal.

Turn 3 I tried to bring down arty but it drifted forever and went off on some of my own squads. No one killed fortunately and I ended the fire mission at the first available opportunity.

P drove a KV-1 into a factory building. You can see the burning wreck in the end of Turn 3 n.central photo. That's the large white wreck counter with the blaze on it. I hit it with a 150mm HEAT round from an infantry gun and the TK DR was a snake eyes. Basically the KV-1 is a turretless pile of scrap and it will set the factory on fire.

Went on an Epic Rate Tear from my HMG kill stack and gunned down three Russian elites and a 9-2 leader, forcing them to abandon 3 light machineguns where I think I can steal them.

P had another squad go berserk. It had a flamethrower. He flamed it out and charged. His Berserk Assault Engineer squad wound up in melee with my Fanatic Assault Engineer half-squad and it was mutual elimination. I'll take that trade any day.

His field phone malfed out so he no longer has access to offboard artillery. This gives me a pretty free hand to roll up my primary and "stretch goal" objectives north-central part of the map.

He detonated another hidden set demolition charge that vaporised a German engineer half squad along with its FT.

Total CVP so far: 56 dead Russian 16 dead German, inclusive of tanks and armor leaders.

Attachments:
24 oct end of turn 3 southcen.jpeg
24 oct end of turn 3 southcen.jpeg [ 240.88 KiB | Viewed 470 times ]
24 oct end of turn 3 northcen.jpeg
24 oct end of turn 3 northcen.jpeg [ 302.83 KiB | Viewed 470 times ]
24 Oct end of turn 1.jpeg
24 Oct end of turn 1.jpeg [ 315.98 KiB | Viewed 470 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

So, game this Friday.

Here is a map.
Hexes outlined in yellow are locations I captured Turns 1-3.
Hexes outlined in light green are locations I think I can capture if it goes through Turn 6.
Two red illustrations include a StuGB tank charge that I plan to run. I'll almost certainly lose the StuG but it will mess up Soviet defense enough to let the German infantry move in and hold ground. The HMG stack with arrow points to a hex I figure on shooting up with the HMG kill stack (3 squads, 3 HMGs, 10-3 leader) and some OBA. At this point, I really want to run up the tally of eliminated Russian squads, and I can afford to lose a couple squads in the doing.

Attachments:
24 Oct Start of Turn 4 gains and objectives.png
24 Oct Start of Turn 4 gains and objectives.png [ 1.93 MiB | Viewed 450 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:29 am 
Sergeant Major

Been going over the numbers. Ima keep attacking until the factories are completely cleared out. I've already decided on a minimum expenditure of CPP for October 25 because I want to start banking purchase points for a huge push in a couple of days.

So for October 25-26 my main goal is to clear out the remaining factories in the center of the map. My secondary goals are to accumulate some infantry companies in reserve for the next big push, and leave myself with CPP enough for lots of supporting artillery and some armor. I'm thinking two infantry companies, two tank platoons, two modules of offboard artillery, and another gun battery, for the Next Big Thing. It means October 27 will probably be Big Day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:04 am 
Sergeant Major

In re armor.

The Russians have a limit of:
2xKV1 (one platoon). I've wrecked one.
2xT-34/43 (one platoon).
2xT-34/41 (one platoon, radioless)
and several platoons each of T70s and T60s. They have decent armor but can't stand up to a 50mm gun for long.

My best armor has not hit the map yet. I can purchase 2 pn (3x each) of PzIVF2 and 2 pn (3x each) of StuGIIIF.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:41 am 
Sergeant Major

No Pix this week. The Oct 24 CG day has gone into Turn 7. Highlights were Germans scaling a cliff to occupy three buildings near the Volga, then losing a leader and a squad to Set DCs. Those things are starting to get irritating. But with 36-3 attacks, at least I'm finding out about them 1 squad at a time.

The casualty ratio looks good. 31 CPP dead Germans but of those, 10 CPP are expendible armor and a couple more were just bad rally check DR and losing a malfunctioned 81mm mtr. Russians have lost 61 CPP, mostly squads and leaders but also one 81mm mtr, and one KV-1 (6 CPP). Also have gained entry into more objective factories. Having even 1 hex means I can take a factory easily.

Map:

Yellow hexes -- important recently captured hexes.
Yellow arrows -- Turn 7 goals.
Red line -- perimeter at the end of Turn 6.

Attachments:
RBCGIII-Map end turn 6.png
RBCGIII-Map end turn 6.png [ 1.79 MiB | Viewed 419 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:09 am 
Sergeant Major

24 October ended with another German win. Big Day is going to take some time to build up to but maybe I can do a mini- Big Day on Oct 25. Build up to something interesting. The board position right now temporarily favors the Russians because the places I really want can only be taken by some kind of grinding assault. But I've been so successful so far that I have a little bit of time ... several days... on my side. Maps forthcoming.

At the end of 24 October it was 63 CPP ex Russians and 33 CPP ex Germans. But 12 of the ex Germans were armor vs. 7 armor from the Russians (the KV1). Both of use scragged out an 81mm mortar. The Germans liberated six Russian LMGs and added them to the German OOB. They're basically good for one boost to an infantry shot (wherein they'll malf on a DR=9 or higher). But stacked with a squad who wants a defensive boost for one shot, well, they're pretty good for that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:07 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9540
Is this map "semi historical" ... "meticulously accurate" ... "none of the above" .... ??

I tried to check myself and came up with "semi-historical" ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Mostly historical. The factories are about the right size and in the right places. But it's based on aerial photos taken after the battle had raged a while, an on German and Russian operational maps. The town had been substantially blasted to bits, so I suspect that most of the smaller buildings are conjectural based on piles of rubble. I'm pretty sure there were no Sanborn Maps of Stalingrad from before the war.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

Here is a link to the German map from the period. The scenario we are playing is Red Barricades. It's the Barrikady Gun factory marked "Geschutzfabrik 'Rote Barrikade'" on the north end of the German map. As you can see, when you compare the ASL map and the German map, the factory complex buildings are correctly shaped and scaled on the ASL map.

http://www.stalingrad.net/maps/stalingrad_map_5a.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next