maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Red Barricades
A vile American Conspiracy! Call the UN! O! The Humanity! 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
"This one last offensive should do the job!" 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
"For the Motherland and the Commissar, Charge!" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A great ASL Module. I'd like to read the replay over coffee and doughnuts. 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Re: Advanced Squad Leader
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11537
Oct 26 Played through end of Turn 3.

Broke another one of my 82mm mortars, so I have one left. Need to get some more for the Oct 27 CG day. Lots of shooting generally, with the Russians attempting unsuccessful probing counterattacks. The German 150mm and 100mm OBA and support weapons in the NE center have done a nice job ruining the Russian defense. In German Turn 3 a concealed German squad in FF20 advanced into ground level GG21 and wipes out a Russian crew manning a 76mm infantry gun, then withdraws. If I can clear the rest of that building I will capture the gun and hope to retain it for a subsequent CG day. I could put a crew on it and have it chuck out shots until I break it, at long range.

General line of contact after Russian Turn 3 is below. Yellow ovals are areas I have good prospects to take if the dice allow the game to run through end of Turn 6. For sure if it runs through end of Turn 7. The Russian defense in the NE-Center has broken apart.

I'll post photos maybe tonight.

Attachments:
26 Oct end turn 3.png
26 Oct end turn 3.png [ 1.71 MiB | Viewed 371 times ]

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:35 am 
Sergeant Major

Turn 4. German 150mm Infantry Gun in Z17 fires Area Fire on X24 L1 stone building and critical hits. It's a 36 -3 and the effect DR=3, -3 = 0. Level 1 is rubbled, wiping out a 9-2 leader, 2 squads, and 2 HMGs. The subsequent collapse DR results in the entire hex collapsing, wiping out a squad at ground level, Worse still, Falling Rubble lands in Y25, finishing off a Russian squad there. It's the single most devastating shot of the campaign. Almost half a Russian company, a very good leader, and two HMGs wiped out in one shot. The pain continues. The German FF12 Level 1 HMG kill stack goes on a rate tear, gunning down three Russian crews trying to haul dismantled mortars out of harms way in EE24, and a German squad captures and destroys (during the subsequent Russian Turn 4) the abandoned 76mm infantry gun in GG21. After 4 Turns the Germans have amassed 61 Casualty Victory Points, mostly Russian squads, to a loss of 14.

Game day ends, campaign ends, P throws in the towel.

That is too bad. I think he could have pulled a game win out if he'd changed things up a bit and thought about how to hit the Germans, rather than trying things he'd read about on the net. Also, his defense was very one-dimensional (in part because of the bad advice he'd read). He seemed to rely too heavily on infantry and not purchased much in the way of support weapons until the last two days. All the while the Germans were building up a support weapon edge. Second, P relied almost exclusively on Fortified Buildings, Hidden Initial Placement, Set Demolition Charges, and Mines, with his fortification points. Also some trenches. Never a bit of wire though, to slow the Germans down. Third, even when he had smoke capability, he didn't use it. His constant thought seemed to be about gunning down the Germans rather than delaying them. He had four 76mm infantry guns to start the day, and unlike the German ones, the Russian ones all had smoke capability. In his shoes, every time a German with three HMGs and a good leader showed up on Level 1, I'd have put smoke on it the next available chance.

I think the absence of wire was a serious error. P bought artillery reasonably judiciously but mostly wasted it trying to blast Germans in really good cover. If there'd been some wire, he could have caught Germans essentially in the open and hung up on wire.

Forthcoming: we will likely start another RB CG by the end of 2017, this time with me playing the Russians and P as the Bucketheads. For now though, we're transitioning from Stalingrad, October 1942, to.......

Guadalacanal (Edson's Ridge) September 1942. P, who is a Marine, will push the USMC, and I will handle Ichiki's Hoards. This is the ASL Operation Watchtower historical study... a mini CG with five linked scenarios.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:35 am 
Sergeant Major

Have to say I'm bumming that P resigned. I get it that it's no fun when you take a pounding for a couple days, but this was nowhere near a done deal. There's no way to say "let's trade sides and I'll go with what you have there" without being insulting. But I'd have taken up that job even knowing the limits of what he had remaining in support weapons.

Meantime, I'm already working on my October 17 (RB CGIII day 1) defense. Buildings that P burned to the ground on the first day I intend to fortify and force the Germans to deploy and attack in at least 1/2 company strength so that I can bring some artillery down on them. Also, judicious use of Anti-Tsnk Ditches and Roadblocks will prevent German AFV from locking down my outgoing infantry defensive fire via Bypass Freeze. And Ima put wire next to my first key position to prevent him from forming a Fire Group in advancing fire.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:03 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10165
It takes a mature (emotionally, not chronologically) player to play to the bitter end ... I "pride" myself at being such ... winning when you have lots of advantages is probably fun and necessary for the 14 year olds ... but the grognards should be able to play the Italians knowing they have no chance to "win" but just enjoying doing the best they have with what they have available and trying to "mess up" the plans of those with the T34s, and SMG squads etc.
In my last game ... my opponent had an overwhelming advantage ... I didn't quit .. he did ... he said "I don't really see any point in continuing this" ... and I think he was right ... but I am happy that he "called it" ... and I did not ... that is my goal ... I hang in there still the other side quits.

I am happy to see you can play the Japanese (in a Game) ... Mike Scholl in the later years refused to the play the Axis ... and I guess I understand ... he got real worked up over some of the younger less experienced "fan bois"" hollering ... he never seemed to be able to find the "ignore button" for dumbasses ... at least emotionally ... in earlier years ... a side was a side ... and every body had to play every side eventually ... but in his last 8 years or so ... he couldn't bring himself to do it .. I would say ... "but they aren't real Japanese or Germans - just bits of cardboard or a few pixels" ... but it didn't seem to matter ...
Anyway .. looking forward to watching the "hordes" get mowed down ... by the "good guys" :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

Playing the Japanese will be a complete change up from the Germans. In Stalingrad I had access to support weapons more or less as I chose. I have already diced up my Japanese order of battle. Eight rifle platoons, eight light machineguns, four leaders. two mortars. The good news is that the free Heavy Weapons Company provided by the at start order of battle came with a full complement of heavy and medium MGs. That's 32 squads basically, but only four leaders.

The action takes place in five scenarios. September 14 (night), September 15 (day), September 15 part 2 (night), September 15 part 3 (night), September 16 (day).

I'll have superior numbers but inferior firepower. In close combat the Japanese are stealthy. Also, for the night scenarios, darkness will mitigate much of the USMC firepower. So I should be able to get really close before closing into close combat.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

OK, game tonight. The game is Sept 12 (Night), Sept 13, Day, Night, Night, and Sept 14 Day.

You win by holding at least 5 level 4 (crest) hexes on Edson's ridge and amassing 75 Victory Points. VP are awarded for killing USMC, and holding crest hexes on the ridge.

On Sept 12 I attack the ridge from the south. I have 32 squads, 1 good, leader, three useless leaders, and one pos 8+1 leader, 5 crews, 2 HMG, 3MMG, 2 50mm knee mortars, and battalion Gun Support (70mm) from Mount Austin that functions as OBA.

The OBA can fire one round of WP, everything else is HE. The knee mortars can fire illumination rounds, smoke, WP smoke, and HE. Clearly the most useful of these are the illumination rounds, because a squad in a hex with an illumination round effect can't see anywhere except into another illuminated hex. So if I do this right I can time the first infiltration attack to coincide with blinded marines.

I suspect I can't stand up to a shootout so the key is mobility, stealth, close combat, and supporting fire from my HMGs and knee mortars, at least until I gain a bunch of the ridge crest.

My plan is to use 27 squads to attack the ridge, one to operate the knee mortars, and keep 4 squads and a leader as Hidden Initial Placement reserves on my left flank because the USMC sets up a required defensive position there, and pretty much every player will, seeing nothing to his front, send out probing squads. My HIP reserves' job is to ambush those guys in close combat and wipe them out, without ever firing a Prep or Defensive Fire Phase shot.

The MMGs would be handy but there's not many places at start from which the IJA can see the Ridge. I could crowd them into my HMGs but that would create a very tempting target for his 100mm OBA, which would be pretty damb lethal using air burst against my guys. I can dig the HMGs in a little though (foxholes) in the first turn. Same with the knee mortars.

I think I need to drag the MMGs close to the ridge, and then hold them back. Once I have the first few Ridge Crest hexes, they can move up and dig in.

My goal the first night is to get a bunch of Hill 100 (the south end of Edson's Ridge) crest hexes, dig in, and get my MMGs into position. Try to weather the USMC daylight attack on Sept 13, by which time I will have more guys coming on, and some fort points (trenches) to secure my gains. On the two Sept 13 nigh scenarios try to overrun the rest of the ridge and exit a couple squads off the north end of the map (VPs for threatening Henderson Field).

There is no Axis FABOY "IJA Overruns Lunga and Drives the Marines off Cactus" outcome here. It's all about driving further and holding longer than the IJN historically gained and held on the ridge. Either way, the epilogue to this CG day is that regardless if I win the CG, the Japanese are starved down and wiped out in five months. But this game doesn't require me to do that. All I need to do is take and hold a bunch of Edson's ridge for 48 hours.

Off I go.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

Four turns done. Japanese in the lead flanking the south edge of Edson's ridge from the east side. Two Japanese HMG crews showing ste-reduced staus, 1 squad eliinated, 8+1 leader killed versus three USMC squads an HMG, and 9-2 leader. All killed by 70mm Japanese artillery FFE presumably fired from Mt. Austen. P almost resigned when the KIA hit his three squads and I was visibly annoyed. Shit happens. It doesn't happen as bad if you don't stack three squads in a hex. 70mm sucks. The USMC are entrenched that's +4 versus OBA, meaning that I need to roll DR<=5 just to get a normal morale check versus his morale 8 squads. But once in a while, the opfor is going to get a critical hit, so you don't stack.

He's gonna be a lot less pleased if that 70mm drops WP on him and allows my stealthy Japanese to infiltrate his trenches and engage in CC.

As it happens there are no casualty VP in this game, so dusting three USMC squads doesn't deteriorate his prospects for victory vis a vis hex control victory points.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19