It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Battletech (PC)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:10 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 13550
Currently in "Pre-Alpha". Still very early in dev. Due for next year.

The KS unlocked dynamic campaigns and other such goodies.

This is the developer who got rich doing the recent Shadowrun RPGs for PC. Although they weren't really based on the tabletop version's mechanics, and were very linear, they were still enjoyable. Unlike those, this Battletech game is supposed to be true to the tabletop.

Post subject: Re: Battletech (PC)
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:16 pm 
Hair in the soap

Has a June 1st Beta date.

Not sure if just Kickstarter backers get in on Beta, or whether they will also start giving access to purchasers before official release.

Recent Pre-Beta multi-player vid:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:32 pm 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14215
NefariousKoel wrote:
Has a June 1st Beta date.

Not sure if just Kickstarter backers get in on Beta, or whether they will also start giving access to purchasers before official release.

Recent Pre-Beta multi-player vid:

16:20
They're talking out of their ass.

"missiles do impact, lasers don't do any impact, they're beams of light"

Bullshit. Powerful lasers such as ones that can be employed to devastate armored fighting vehicles will cause a fierce explosion on the absorbing surface as it is vaporized instantly which sends a shockwave traveling at velocity of sound (=at whichever speed it travels in the medium) and the shockwave itself causes structural damages and as it hits the other side/runs out of medium through which it was traveling it will cause spalling, the amount of which and the severity of structural damages depending on the amount of force sent by the initial explosion resulting from instantaneous vaporization of armor.

So, a big powerful explosion and a appropriate recoil effect on the vehicle being hit.

Beams of light my ass. It's an energy weapon for god sakes.

*Edit*
I hit 'submit' and then I realized they were talking about the recoil effect on the mech doing the firing, not the recipient. Ah well. Joke's on me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:10 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11323
Hmm. A simualtion style one like the old Mechwarrior games would be better for me, but... that does look pretty cool.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:55 am 

EUBanana wrote:
Hmm. A simualtion style one like the old Mechwarrior games would be better for me, but... that does look pretty cool.

I thought about making a mech simulator game and even built a prototype which had a fighter style cockpit with three main displays for selecting weapons, map and for IR gun camera / radar etc.

The idea was that you could for instance deploy smoke that also obfuscates IR view and so, actual anti-mech infantry units on the field and so.

I didn't pursue because I was afraid that if the graphics didn't end up being AAA level but like OK for 10 years back everyone would just say "omg shitty graphics" and ignore it.

But I'd like to give it a real go at some point, just don't know when. If I had the money I could actually make it AAA but I don't exactly have 15 million up my ass.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:29 pm 
Hair in the soap

EUBanana wrote:

Another Mechwarrior FPS?

I dunno... Mechwarrior Online has been around for a few years. I've played it a bit, got some enjoyment, but I just don't generally stick to FPSes for long. Even the old MW3, which I played the most - at LAN parties back in the day. :ugeek:

I don't recall ever playing a full 3D PC game purely based on the tabletop game. Been wanting one, complete with dynamic campaign like this is supposed to get, for a long time. Mech Commander 2 was kinda fun in it's day, but that was just an RTS and not truly based on the game itself. :|

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

Yeah. Mechwarrior 3 was the absolute shizznit back in the day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:20 am 

I really liked the Mike Row Soft MW arcade sim single player games.

I really didn't like MWO despite trying so hard to learn to like it. FPS multiplayer just isn't a thing that I can enjoy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:30 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2077

Regarding MWO, been playing this since closed beta. I gather it is not for everyone, but then, War Thunder, World of Tanks or World of Warships weren´t for me... ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:15 am 
Sergeant Major

Scharfschütze wrote:

Regarding MWO, been playing this since closed beta. I gather it is not for everyone, but then, War Thunder, World of Tanks or World of Warships weren´t for me... ;)

*drool*

YES

Profile E-mail