maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Stellaris
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:00 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14634
Paradox' recently released 4X space-fi game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/281990/

It's quite good.

Seems like a mix of features from other recent 4X titles, such as Distant Worlds, Endless Space/Legend, etc. But poured into their Clausewitz engine with some parts resembling Victoria 2 (In SPAAAACE!!) such as "Pops", Diplomacy, and War Goals. An interesting amalgamation.

Been enjoyable right out of the box. I'm sure it will get deeper with a steady stream of Pdox DLC too. Especially since they reported it as being their most successful launch, with 200k being sold in the first day of release.

As so often happens with good games, some of the more popular User Reviews on Steam can be rather comical.

Post subject: Re: Stellaris
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:39 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6825
I was actually coming here looking to see if you played this...was on the fence ....Gal Civ III I refrained from getting ...kinds lost my loyalty with Fallen Enchantress and etc., Endless Space is good and have enjoyed.....did not get the CIV Beyond Earth ....
yadda yadda ......
you recommendation gets a *ding*

sold !
....spending some money after work tonight ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:18 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7388
I was hoping you'd buy this one, Nef so we can get the skinny on it. It's been on my wishlist for months. :)

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:28 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 10012
I was going to sully this thread to achieve another "I ran the board", but decided against it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:39 am 
Hair in the soap

Green Man Gaming is selling Stellaris Steam keys at 25% off with the code SPACE25.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/stellaris-titles/

Dunno how long that will last.

I've bought numerous titles from GMG. Mostly pre-orders since they usually offer notable discounts on the pricier ones. IIRC, they even refunded me for one (non-Steam) game that didn't work on my PC a few years ago, no questions asked, so I've continued to use them. I hear that they require your PayPal account be "certified" if you use that payment route (I certified mine long ago so didn't notice).

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:57 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 12839
Mack (no relation) from the youtube channel Worth A Buy did a decent review of it, will probably pick it up sometime in the future when its on sale.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:25 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11823
Very good 4X. Probably the best one since moo2. So many little things in it which make it awesome, the exploration part is definitely down pat. Pretty complex empire management means that's down as well. Combat, well. It's not bad, but in the end game I find it a bit lacking. Fleets are just too mobile, you lose all your space stations within a few days of the declaration of war - and the enemy loses all theirs, too.

The other minor gripe - there's no victory condition, in Paradox style. Normally I have no problem with that, but a game like this really needs one. There are a number of 'existential threats to the galaxy' which can show up, but when defeated the game just carries on into infinity.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:49 am 
Hair in the soap

I still have yet to even fire up Star Ruler 2. It seems like that one has rather interesting mechanics and varied shit to do. But it doesn't always look as slick. I may do that soon, just to compare & contrast.

I've seen minor complaints about Stellaris' UI. I'm thinking that people must've become really spoiled on the excellent Endless Space/Legend UI in recent years. My only big complaint about it in Stellaris is that the damn Galaxy View doesn't retain my last used zoom level. So every time I go back to Galaxy View (all the damn time) I have to scroll the mouse wheel way out again. :x I'm sure that's been complained about enough to get fixed.. eventually.

Been playing so much World Of Warships with 2ndACR that I've not yet put a lot of time into Stellaris. With Slitherine/Matrix releasing Sengoku Jidai this week, and Total War: Warhammer next week, it may still be slow going.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:32 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
Playing it a bit further, past 80h mark I realize that the game is really quite shallow by mechanics and content, there are several weird bugs, AI is quite weak and you can't even bomb a planet.

Bombing the planet's population with full bombardment setting has nothing to do with fleet size or power. Single corvette has the same effect as thousand battleships with best weapons.

It's simply based on random chance. It reads something like 15 or 20% chance to kill a pop per month but in the code the actual value is 6% chance per month to kill a pop for full bombardment, 4% and 2% for the lesser options.

That means that a planet the size of 25 pops takes on average 35 years to bomb. Hint: having a single corvette bombing a planet has the same exact effect and also causes starvation on the planet so the population will sooner starve to death than be bombed by the mightiest fleets.

Once you get a good fleet going no one can stop you. I took the ring worlds from a fallen empire and I was unstoppable, I destroyed the galaxy's combined fleets with just a portion of my fleet without casualties.

Only problem is typical Paradox like fixed war score mechanic. I cannot demand more than a handful of planets at a time and after every war I need to spend 10 years at peace.

So to conquer the rest of galaxy would take hundreds of game years despite the enemies having zero fleets as I constantly crush their fleets and conquer a dozen planets per month - and I always end up with some 6-8 planets.

The early game was great though. Mid game - is boring and repetitive as hell. You literally look at the game date and wait for the cooldown for declaring a war to wear off, snatch a couple of planets and then wait more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:16 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11823
The early game is where its at, yeah. Later on its no so good.

The war thing is because it's trying to replicate Renaissance history under the hood (EU4 mod ultimately) where you didn't generally have crushing huge annexations and the like. Not so relevant to a 4X.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next