maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stellaris
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:39 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11823
Multiplayer is very good on Stellaris actually, it might be one of the best of their games for it. I've played a few games of it multi and had fun every time.

I always thought Victoria 2 would be good fun on multiplayer as it's really about great power politics, unfortunately a bit harder to find warm bodies for that one! you'd need a thick skin too as I think it should be played adversarially... *evil*

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:50 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
Shit, if they've fixed stuff and have finally good mods, I'd love to play it if I wasn't currently entering release crunch myself.. Poor me, having to actually do the occasional bit of working between gaming and fencing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:19 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2077
Just wait for the patch, not sure on the ETA, would not be surprised if they delayed the release to October after a disastrous 1.7 release they had to roll back.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... f.1041484/
Short thread on perceived diplo woes - some guy whining all the neighbours are def pacting up vs his space invaders and he just can´t get a break and take them out one after the other.
It´s not fair!

Star Trek New Horizons mod is very good, they did some very clever things on ship components, hull patterns and scripted ship classes.

Since Trek of course involves dealing the with the one and only United Federation of Planets, preventing keeping them in disregard and and helping out other baddies. Both Romulans and Klingons benefit from having mutual rivals and getting along as I found out, and limiting and harassing the Federation is a good idea.

Romulans also have their Tal Shiar secret service which is fairly good at seeding distrust and such.

Wait for the patch though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:46 am 
Sergeant

http://store.steampowered.com/app/64275 ... etic_Dawn/

Quote:
Available: 21 September
This game will unlock in approximately 12 days

I´d be up for some multiplayer once things settle 8-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:43 am 
Sergeant

Scharfschütze wrote:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/642750/Stellaris_Synthetic_Dawn/

Quote:
Available: 21 September
This game will unlock in approximately 12 days

I´d be up for some multiplayer once things settle 8-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:03 am 

Maybe I need to at some day revisit my Warhammer inspired Crusade as Human Empire.

They are a bunch of conformist people, meaning they don't like to deviate from the mainstream culture. They're also extremely collectivist, which means they will tolerate forced labor in order to save the species and aren't squeamish about doing what's necessary to secure continued human existence.

Militarism goes without saying.

Interestingly enough I didn't need to start any of the first wars. I was just trying to mind my own business and maintain non-interference with all the neighbors, live and let live but then an alliance in one direction thought that humans are a pushover and invaded with their far larger fleets. Seeing this every possible neighbor that I had decided to go along with the land grab.

Thus far Human Empire had primarily focused on economic growth, science and developing it's many colonies and exploring it's vast territory. Those things had to be halted and military became the sole focus of the entire empire - the armada was routed by marauding xenos and several highly developed human worlds were besieged and ruthlessly bombarded, despite heroic resistance the sheer number of enemies and being so outstretched led to one world falling after another.

That was until forced labor and investing everything to shipbuilding had reinforced the Armada to such strength that it was ready to respond to the main thrust that was already threatening Earth itself. One by one the enemy fleets were routed or annihilated but my humans did not simply stop within the old borders - they gave chase to the enemy and took their worlds with the military occupation eradicating their kind, allowing humans to push the frontiers away from Earth and to set up military outposts further from the core worlds.

This in turn was protested by an ancient empire that suddenly launched a massive attack on Earth, laying waste to Armada and forcing a humiliating treaty whereby billions of humans perished as many of the core worlds had to be abandoned while the Emperor himself was slain by the xenos.

Afterwards my humans consolidated their gains and amassed fleets like no other, capable of winning on multiple fronts at once. Eventually the ancient empire itself was assaulted and all their kind were exterminated. All the xenos that had sought to eradicate humans and destroy their empire were purged and soon humans inhabited more than half the worlds of the galaxy.

The end remains to be seen since upon calculating that it would take 200+ hours of sheer grinding and combating the game mechanics itself to win the ultimate victory the progress was halted. Really, really looking forward to something that simply allows my fleets to keep going instead of stopping dead on their tracks for 30 minutes every 5 minutes of progress.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:31 am 
Sergeant

Kameolontti wrote:
Maybe I need to at some day revisit my Warhammer inspired Crusade as Human Empire.

They are a bunch of conformist people, meaning they don't like to deviate from the mainstream culture. They're also extremely collectivist, which means they will tolerate forced labor in order to save the species and aren't squeamish about doing what's necessary to secure continued human existence.

Militarism goes without saying.

Interestingly enough I didn't need to start any of the first wars. I was just trying to mind my own business and maintain non-interference with all the neighbors, live and let live but then an alliance in one direction thought that humans are a pushover and invaded with their far larger fleets. Seeing this every possible neighbor that I had decided to go along with the land grab.

Thus far Human Empire had primarily focused on economic growth, science and developing it's many colonies and exploring it's vast territory. Those things had to be halted and military became the sole focus of the entire empire - the armada was routed by marauding xenos and several highly developed human worlds were besieged and ruthlessly bombarded, despite heroic resistance the sheer number of enemies and being so outstretched led to one world falling after another.

That was until forced labor and investing everything to shipbuilding had reinforced the Armada to such strength that it was ready to respond to the main thrust that was already threatening Earth itself. One by one the enemy fleets were routed or annihilated but my humans did not simply stop within the old borders - they gave chase to the enemy and took their worlds with the military occupation eradicating their kind, allowing humans to push the frontiers away from Earth and to set up military outposts further from the core worlds.

This in turn was protested by an ancient empire that suddenly launched a massive attack on Earth, laying waste to Armada and forcing a humiliating treaty whereby billions of humans perished as many of the core worlds had to be abandoned while the Emperor himself was slain by the xenos.

Afterwards my humans consolidated their gains and amassed fleets like no other, capable of winning on multiple fronts at once. Eventually the ancient empire itself was assaulted and all their kind were exterminated. All the xenos that had sought to eradicate humans and destroy their empire were purged and soon humans inhabited more than half the worlds of the galaxy.

The end remains to be seen since upon calculating that it would take 200+ hours of sheer grinding and combating the game mechanics itself to win the ultimate victory the progress was halted. Really, really looking forward to something that simply allows my fleets to keep going instead of stopping dead on their tracks for 30 minutes every 5 minutes of progress.

I only got into the game after they introduced the "cheaper war demands" tech, which has mutliple stages, late game wars tend to be rather decisive.

More 1.8/DLC teasers:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... s.1042779/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:33 am 

Thanks for updating me. I got it on launch date and it quickly became obvious that it was "minimally viable product" at the time.

If I had been smart I had waited until they actually fleshed out the MVP to a real game!

It's not just them though, it tends to be very common with new releases these days, big and small games - don't get it when it's released, give it a few years and show up when other people have hit their heads against wall until that wall has been removed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:51 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14634
Kameolontti wrote:

Humans?!

Pfff!

Ditch those sweaty pink meatbags. Play a more interesting faction, you chocolate ice cream eating motherfuckers! :P

(because, despite what common linguistic expressions would have you believe, a majority prefers chocolate flavor over "vanilla". Us vanilla people are the exception, the non-conformists!!)

Kameolontti wrote:
Thanks for updating me. I got it on launch date and it quickly became obvious that it was "minimally viable product" at the time.

Seems everything I buy at launch now receive multiple updates in quick succession.

Which means I end up not playing it for weeks, or even months. Due to the likelihood of requiring a campaign restart, for the benefits of the updates to take effect.

Which means I may as well have waited to purchase it if I'm not playing it until it's been through the flurry of post-release updates.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:15 pm 

NefariousKoel wrote:
Humans?!

Pfff!

Ditch those sweaty pink meatbags. Play a more interesting faction, you chocolate ice cream eating motherfuckers! :P

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next