maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 142  Next
 Post subject: Re: World Of Warships
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:16 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 865
I set a record 10 torp hits with three ships sunk with my Wickes class DD.

All sorts of cash bonuses with that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19399
Zad Fnark wrote:

Cool. For now I am sticking with the cruisers. Not sure if I want to upgrade to St Louis class...there appear (statistically) to be some drawbacks. Might wait till I have enough XP and cash to jump right to Omaha class CL.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:16 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3698
Just entered first 3 battles today with the level 1 ships (Erie and a Japanese class). Did achieve 2 kills and was able to start upgrading. Getting the hang of the keypad controls and the basic navigation strategy. Like with Chi, I'm good to go if you are ok with a rookie Seaman.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

Zad Fnark wrote:

Im looking forward to CL's with torpedoes but am wondering if it would make sense to branch out into destroyers first and get the use of torpedoes down before I try launching them from a CL.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:05 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 865
They're good to train on. Only problem is that their lifespan is pretty short. Cruisers, I think are a better compromise.

Just worked up to South Carolina, so I can play with the big stuff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Found a guy on the WoWarships forum page who posted some tutorial videos for Battleships, Cruisers and Destroyers.

His main linkis here:
http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index. ... ke-a-boss/

He then has additional links to the ship type specific pages.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:31 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 16590
chijohnaok wrote:
With regards to my marksmanship issues----I just discovered the SHIFT key-----what a difference that makes---- :lol:

Now to put it to more practice.

I also suggest holding down the ALT key, to enable the "advanced interface" range and shell travel time to the point at your crosshair.

Gunnery Pro Tip:

This is how you can calculate lead for long distance shots, and get a decent chance of a hit from the get-go.

For those long distance shots at targets travelling perpendicularly, I use the magnified gun spotter view (the SHIFT toggle) to point at the water next to where the target is. Then hold ALT and read the number of seconds listed on the left side of the "crosshair". That is your shell's travel time to that range. If the target is travelling at a 90 degree angle to me, I then use the ruler in the gunsight to find how much lead I need to give. It's obviously linked to the travel time of your shells, for a target traveling perpendicular to your view, at some specified speed (20 or 25kts?? I dunno).

Aim the appropriately numbered mark + aim point for the amount of shell travel, then either double-click to fire a salvo (have to do it really fast in WoWS to get it to do that) or hold it down to ripple sequential fire.

For example, if I see a ship traveling broadside to me at 12km then I will place my aimpoint over the water ahead of him, at his distance. I check the number of seconds of travel time, briefly holding ALT to do so. Then use the sight rule to aim ahead that much and fire - if it says the shot will take 8.65 seconds of time then I will aim the intersection of the ruler, on the appropriate side, at a point on his ship and fire.

Of course, if he is not traveling at a perfect 90 degree angle then you will have to trade some of the lead for more/less elevation. You can also get a bit of an assist from the Sight Ruler's long horizontal aim line by placing it on the lowest waterline point of the enemy ship and eyeballing how much the higher end is above that line. Then you can get an idea how much to adjust the lead elevation and, to some extent, how much lead you need to lose off the travel time due to the up/down angle adjustment.

Also keep in mind that faster ships, such as destroyers and cruisers, will require a lot more lead since they are generally going much faster than whatever speed the measure is calibrated for. On destroyers at full speed, I usually start with doubling the travel time value, which often puts it off the scale. You can eyeball it, still, and even use your mouse wheel to zoom the gunsight view out when needed.

Note: I didn't read up on any of this. Just learned it by using some past sim experience with the tools given and lots of practice. There are probably other tricks you can use but these have been enough to make my shots more accurate and a good start to your initial salvo.

I'm with ZF on learning torpedoes. The early cruisers with torpedoes (CLs) are more survivable and will give you good practice on not only using torpedoes but getting used to switching back & forth between them and your guns when up close.

When you eventually start using Destroyers, there is other new stuff you need to learn such as using your concealment in the best possible way (+ smoke screen) and how to zig-zag while fighting to avoid being hit so much since that's about your only defense when you get spotted by the boys with bigger guns. Can be some pretty intense shit, with lots of weapon switching & firing, constant rudder movements, etc.

In other words, Destroyers have more of a learning curve so it would be easier to learn torpedoes on a CL first. Torpedoes aren't very difficult to use, but takes experience to get good as with anything else in this world. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:19 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 16590
Nice details on the ships!

Check out my Kongo:

Also noticed that when the big battleship guns fire, they create a shockwave on the water, near the barrels. 8-)

Two screenies in quick succession:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:07 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 16145
Nisshin_Maru

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

C_S wrote:
Nisshin_Maru

Welcome aboard Chicken!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 142  Next