maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 139  Next
 Post subject: Re: World Of Warships
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:22 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14634
2ndAcr wrote:
Really enjoying my Baltimore. She has decent AA at 86 rating right now. Currently averaging about 115 thou damage per game, and 12 fires and 40,000 damage are common. But also get some 50 thou games if I am having to chase the fight etc. Her AP will shred a cruiser if they make a mistake and get too close. They do decent damage on BB's but I really enjoy burning them to the ground and dancing thru their shells.

My current rudder shift is 3.4 seconds IIRC so she starts a turn like a damn destroyer. Forget shooting AP at long range though, damn things are slow as hell, HE flies much faster and a 14% chance of fire is nice. On my current setup though.

But like all US cruisers, mess up your angle and you will be punished bad.

They buffed Baltimore's ROF, and maybe added some more hit points, in one of the recent big patches iirc. Was sorely needed for the Tier 8 & 9 US cruisers although I'm not sure if it was enough with those.

Hope it's less squishy than the NO.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:11 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 5613
It is not quite as bad as the NO, but it is a cruiser, angle wrong and you will get paddled. Best thing is she is almost destroyer like in her handling overall.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:14 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3573
"....we’re making a ship's detectability after firing a main gun shell equal to that ship's maximum firing range the moment it fires. This change should eliminate situations in which ships with minor detectability range could fire while remaining invisible to the enemies." Well, now. Why in the name of Neptune would they want to make it possible for a BB's secondary armament be able to detect and fire at a rapid firing DD within the secondary battery range........ Uhh, logic maybe??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:51 pm 
Sergeant

No DD can stealth fire with in BB secondary range. Not even now. Furthest I have seen a BB secondary is I think a hair over 10km...........90% of the DD's current stealth fire is 11km plus basically.

But it is going to put the hurt on guns, now every DD will just sit back and stealth torp all day long. My German DD getting HUGE buff. No more 16km gun bloom, 68 second reload on my fast 68knot 10km torpedo's. With a 5.9km detect range on my ship. Plus the conceal mod is going to add another 5% dispersion to incoming fire on top of the 4% it already gives plus camo with another 4% should be a 13% shell dispersion if I calculate that right. Now we just pop smoke and shoot the crap out of BB's. I been on test server seeing it. There be some serious crying about torpedo spam. Plus DD's hanging in back with fleet instead of scouting so they DON'T get detected and have to shoot guns.

BB's just think it is glorious. Just 3-4 patches ago they were crying about torpedo spam from invisible DD's. Shit, WG just forced DD's to stay stealthy and spam torpedo's. Then you got Tashkent with 8km torpedo's and the fastest reload speed above Tier V at like 58 seconds or faster. That's 9 torp's every minute. My German's sling 8 every minute 8 seconds.

Heck, I am waiting on them to make sonar or radar only visible to the ship equipped with it........not the entire enemy team. And how about making it NOT see thru islands. I sat behind a island and lit up 3 enemy DD's the other day with sonar in my Z52 while they sat in smoke and were on the other side of the island.

DD's will not push forward. Whole game turns into a stupid potato fest with everyone trying to hide from torpedo spam. I watched a 3 Shimakaze team spread holy terror on a team with torpedo spam. Me and another Z52 did the same thing another test game. Just ran around 7km from enemy and torpedo spammed them to death. Neither of us ever got spotted IIRC. I did not fire my gun once. We spotted enemy radar boats, our team killed them. It was torpedo heaven after that. Your BB secondaries will not shoot if they never see me.

You thought DD were terror's before, well prepare yourself, you have not seen anything yet. If the test server play is what goes into effect on main server, it will be torpedo soup. Japanese torpedo's have been nerfed to death but you still have American and German to worry about, plus Russian to some extent. They still are not seen until almost too late to dodge them. But even nerfed, when 3-4 DD's bunch up and stay invisible, you are not dodging them all and Japanese torpedo's still hit like a sledgehammer.

BB drivers got a present with the killing of stealth fire, but now EVERY DD but Russian is a torpedo spammer and stays invisible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16098
Wait....2nd Acr was in a DD, went thru a battle, and never shot his guns once?????

How could that be?
I would have thought by now that your fingers would just instinctually hit the trigger button... ;-)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:08 pm 
Corporal

So you mean like the 4 enemy dds that ran "invisible" against the borders to our rear and began launching. Or the 2 friendlies that sat back until 7 minute or so in then went after ships with heavy damage. So what you describe won't surprise me. Particularly at high tiers. It's called taking a game too seriously. Not sure why those clowns think that's fun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:30 am 
Sergeant

Oh I had a blast. Even without firing my guns. It is very hard to resist though. I laughed my head off watching them crash while trying to dodge 16+ torpedo's coming at them. Heck, even tonight. Minotar hiding in his smoke, well here comes 16+ torpedo's from me an 2 other DD's. I got 1 hit on him, think he ate someone else's torpedo then left smoke and got beat down the last 4000 or so HP from a Des Moines. Another night of playing stealth DD in a German. Torpedo only do 14,400 damage max, but put enough into some fool and he goes down. Last battle, me in my Z52 and another guy in his Shimakaze played havoc. He would launch first then I would launch from a different angle into the thundering herd. I think I got 11 torpedo hits that battle. No kills but set 16 fires and did 57,000 or so in fire damage to them. Nice thing, I got German Sonar with 6km range so I see incoming torpedo's a long ways off while sitting in my smoke. It was pure chaos as they spotted 15 IJN torpedo's inbound and would start to turn into them only to find my stealthy torpedo's coming right at them. Last battle was over 250 shell hits for me. Nice when folks alternate smoke and Shima had the large smoke skill on his commander. We would fog a huge area. So be ready for smoke all over the map. If your ship can pack radar, you are now really target number one. First team to lose all their radar equipped ships fights at a huge disadvantage with all the smoke around and invisible DD's staying stealthy.

Not sure why it is not fun. Heck, the potato fest and hiding is going to be insane when this hit's the server tomorrow. Everyone at max range shooting because too afraid to push forward because of the stealth torpedo walls inbound from DD's staying invisible to everyone anyway. Of course I am not above parking 8km from some fool, popping smoke while my torpedo's reload and beating him to death with HE and AP.

Just warning you is all. Folks been practicing on test server, like me. Can't run my high tier ships there as I am not going to grind them but I can see what works in the new meta coming. Smoke galore, DD's that refuse to be spotted and slinging torpedo's all over the place. Then ass holes like me that will launch torpedo's, pop smoke 8km away from you and set you ablaze while my torpedo reload. Then stealth run away behind my smoke only to toss another volley of torpedo's a minute after my last volley. BB drivers better have their heads on a swivel and NEVER stop turning, adjusting speed and dang sure better keep track of where torpedo's are coming from as that is the only way to know where DD's are. Because 90% of them will not fire their gun anymore outside of smoke or over an island.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:10 am 
Corporal

I guess we'll see what happens once upgrade. Biggest mistake games make is reacting to perceived issues thus creating more issues. The cycle goes on endlessly. Good job security I guess.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:22 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14634
Hell, I'd already been playing BBs and Cruisers after previous Destroyer nerfs.

The stealth firing definitely needed to be addressed. But it's all the other bullshit that gets on my nerves. Aircraft everywhere, spotting you AND torpedoes. Being defenseless against CVs repeatedly bombing you from other side of map. Torpedo spotting nerfs. Adding radar and buffing hydro. Promotes too much hiding, and dissuades two of it's major team contributions: keeping enemy ships sighted for teammates to shoot at range, and capturing zones. RIP.

I had pretty much stopped playing DDs before I quit because BBs are now so mechanically dominant. So much easier to rack up damage & kills with them and, just as importantly, survive in order to do so. It's worry-free cheese.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:52 pm 
private

Reputation points: 125
chijohnaok wrote:
Wait....2nd Acr was in a DD, went thru a battle, and never shot his guns once?????

How could that be?
I would have thought by now that your fingers would just instinctually hit the trigger button... ;-)

Next you'll be saying there's no such thing as Santa Claus!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 139  Next