It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Re: XCOM 2!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:16 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14634
I still have plenty of potential play-time left in the first one w/ expansion.

By the time I get my fill of it, the sequel will be on deep discount sales regularly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11823
I just finished the Long War - it was very long - so it was good timing. ;)

Also its on cdkeys for rather less than it's on Steam.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:30 am 
Hair in the soap

:lol:

8-)

"Honest Trailer" for the previous one:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:28 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7388
Just finished the main campaign. Man, that last mission was pretty tough but very satisfying when you finish it.

All told, this game is SO much better and deeper than the 2012 XCOM. Fortunately, I have been blessed with a machine than can run the game pretty well (my rig is five years old with a new GTX 960). There is definitely some optimization needed but you guys with the bare minimum specs, don't bother. Your rig will not be able to handle it (at least right now).

Glitches, hitches and visual bugs aside, the core game is outstanding. So much customization, so many options, and modding...holy shit, there are some game studio quality mods out there right now.

It's tough, too. I was being emasculated at 'Commander' difficulty during my very first playthrough (the third highest difficulty out of four) and it was pretty brutal. Normal setting is about where the 2012's 'Classic' setting is. It's tough, but doable.

In short, if you even halfway liked the 2012 XCOM, pick this up if your rig can handle it. It's damn good and a lot of fun getting your ass kicked...again.

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:15 pm 
Hair in the soap

The 2012 X-Com is great. As is Xenonauts.

I'm still not done playing those. Plenty left to be had for me, so I'll just leave X-Com 2 on my wishlist and pick it up in a half price sale sometime in the future. Between all the holiday sales, they also put stuff on sale every time a DLC or sequel comes out. :)

As an added bonus, it will have had multiple patches by that point. So many games I own, and have yet to play, so my game purchasing has slowed lately. Notably so for the high priced titles from big companies.

I'm sure it's even better than the old one, don't get me wrong. I just have more value to be had from the other ones still, so no hurry on my part.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:40 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 14573
Poindexter wrote:
FUCK YES!!

And it's a PC Exclusive! No console bullshit! :D :D

shh don't tell anyone I bought it on xbone

Way too difficult even on easiest. Tough games are fine but I'm more a casual player so there s/b setting to make it easy if I want. If it's too tough I quit. I'll try again prolly need to do more scanning or whatever. My ppl get into battles they can't handle. I'm prolly pacing myself wrong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:28 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 14573
There's no advice for this?

I read some n00b guides trying to figure out why I suck so bad at this game. I can break it down: "Move ur ppl so they can overwatch and take ur time. Unless it's 95% of the missions which require the player to run in at top gear chin first to have any chance of making it there on time. In that case you have to hurry."

oh ok. It makes perfect sense I'd never thought of that on my own. gesh. Sound advice I reckon. Not very helpful.

Right now I'm manually saving every turn and replaying when all my ppl get killed. CSLF personnel lose their electronic lives for the best sometimes, and sometimes we lose. I can dig it. These loses set at 'n00b' level are ridiculous.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:53 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7388
C_S wrote:
There's no advice for this?

Hey C_S. I'll share some of my knowledge after playing this game for over a year now.

1) Don't go on any of the story missions until you have a few squad upgrades (5 soldiers minimum) and NEVER attempt them until you at least get Mag rifles for your squad. Assault rifles don't help much as these missions are a little tougher and longer (but thankfully have no time limits).

2) Grenadiers are your friends. Grenade walls/buildings to get to objectives quicker in timed missions; blowing away cover is great for exposing enemies to critical hits from your troops. I always carry two grenadiers with my 5-6 member squads. Makes timed missions "easier". Don't leave home without 'em. Blow shit up...all the time.

3) Research "resistance communications" ASAP. Those enemy facilities that pop up are ALWAYS going to be in an area you haven't contacted yet. I think it's hard-coded in the higher game levels. The best way to knock down the Avatar Project counter is to hit those facilities as often as you can. It will set their progress back weeks and give you some breathing room. Build that resistance communications room as soon as you can.

4) Flank enemies as often as you can. Critical hits on enemies due to proper flanking, especially in the mid-late game when your troops are freakin' badass powerhouses of destruction, will one-shot-kill a good number of enemies quickly.

5) Unless your chance to hit is 100% or better you could miss. Be prepared to rage often at those missed 98% shots. That's XCOM, baby.

6) Don't neglect the Black Market. Every month they get new stuff and soldiers/engineers/scientists. If you have the Intel to spare, take advantage of them and buy yourself a beefed-up trooper.

7) Are those Sectoids mind-controlling your troops pissing you off? No problem! FLASHBANG them and it will break the mind control.

8) If your having a shortage of engineers to work in the Avenger, build a Workshop. It gives you two free Gremlin robots that you can assign to adjacent (left, right) rooms. Upgrading the Workshop allows two more Gremlins that will work the above, below rooms freeing up your precious engineers to do other things.

9) The Ranger/Sniper combo team is a great combination. Rangers can have the "Phantom" ability, snipers the "Long Watch" ability. Basically, your stealthed Ranger can spot targets for your long range snipers. You get a couple of kick-ass snipers with Phantom Ranger spotting your targets and they will do some heavy damage to most enemy pods. The rest of your team can them move up and finish the rest off with relative ease.

10) Remove the Alien Hunters DLC at least until you get a grip on the main game mechanics. Those three god-like aliens are a real pain in the ass for an unprepared squad and a new player.

If I think of any more I'll let you know. Feel free to ask for more advice because I still enjoy this game. :)

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.

Profile E-mail