All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Re: XCOM 2!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:17 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 13965
2ndAcr wrote:
Gonna assume it is Steam only, in that case not gonna get it. Miss the original one, hell even enjoyed Terror from the Deep. Heck I even enjoyed playing the Matrix Xcom clone.

But I aint doing any Steam shit.

Apocalypse was by far best imho. The real-time tactical combat was really nice, nothing like having 12 agents lined up all gunning at downed UFO's door! And the strategic view where the aliens would bomb the hell out of the city, even bomb X-COM bases until they caved in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:06 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 13300
I think there has been a big X-Com (the latest release one) sale lately, at various places.

I've come back to it regularly. It really is a great game despite having dumbed down the inventory management. They made up for it in production values and everything else is reminiscent of the original. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:11 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7388
Finally, some actual gameplay footage.

The hype is real.

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:04 pm 
Honorary Texan

Reputation points: 7273
2ndAcr wrote:
Gonna assume it is Steam only, in that case not gonna get it. Miss the original one, hell even enjoyed Terror from the Deep. Heck I even enjoyed playing the Matrix Xcom clone.

But I aint doing any Steam shit.

I've been trying to get away from STEAM because of the games uninstalling themselves. They're not really uninstalled, they just appear uninstalled on STEAMS UI. Looking at a few PC game seller sites, they are selling most of the new games with STEAM keys only.

Soon STEAM will be the only seller of PC games.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:56 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 13300
Old Eagle wrote:

Soon STEAM will be the only seller of PC games.

Maybe not the only retailer just yet, but it's definitely moving toward the only client/DRM/host from which you can actually install the software & use it.

I still make an effort to purchase DRM-free versions from GOG or other such places but most of the mid-to-large publishers have moved to only having the installs on Steam. On the other end of the spectrum, the little indie basement coders don't have the extra resources so Steam is their easy way to market their games.

What's more.. almost every new game on my wishlist gets released weeks, or even months, earlier on Steam than GOG. Usually at a small discount, too. *sigh* Not always patient enough to wait the undisclosed amount of time it takes. That happens simply because all developers give the Steam version priority. I also wonder if Steam agreements come with some kind of priority release date clause, too.

I've been warning about the Steam bastards getting too much of a monopoly on this massive market. I gotta admit, they've added some nice features to their client in the past few years, so they're not just price-bullying the competition away. Still.. their regularly buggy client makes me fume, and their absolutely piss-fucking-poor customer service is goddamn ridiculous. So it's not all bacon & rainbow farts in Steamland.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:17 am 
Honorary Texan

Angry Joe plays Xcom2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:18 pm 
Sergeant

Angry Joe plays XCOM 2 badly. :)

A fun watch, though.

You want some great editing and snappy commentary check out Beaglerush's XCOM 2 playthrough. Quite entertaining. That man has puns for days. :)

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:13 pm 
Sergeant

Firaxis hires the makers of the the most popular XCOM mod "Long War" to make mods for XCOM 2. :)

Quote:
Firaxis Hires 'The Long War' Modders To Make Mods For XCOM 2

The Long War is, far and away, the most popular mod for the 2013's XCOM reboot. It’s a pleasant surprise, then, to learn Firaxis has partnered with its developers to have something similar available for next months’s XCOM 2.

If you’re not familiar with The Long War, the short version is that it’s a much harder version of XCOM. Was iron man, which prevented players from having multiple save files, not enough? The Long War was for you. The mod added classes, missions, and generally speaking made the game more complicated.

Downloaded over 500,000 times since its original release in early 2013, XCOM’s own developers have long sung The Long War’s praises.

“It’s unbelievable what they did,” said XCOM lead producer Garth DeAngelis to IGN. “The Long War was my go-to recommendation when our hardcore fans would come up to us at shows and would say, ‘I beat Impossible Iron Man three times. I want more.’ There’s absolutely an awesome challenge there for you.”

All that Firaxis has said is The Long War developers are working on “multiple mods” for XCOM 2 that will launch with the game, and more details are coming at a PAX South panel on January 30th at 1:30pm ET. It’ll be livestreamed.

If I had to guess, the mods will focus on making the game more difficult.

In addition to these XCOM 2 mods, The Long War developers recently announced they’ve decided to collaborate under the name Long War Studios and launch a Kickstarter for a brand-new strategy game called Terra Invicta. There aren’t many details about Terra Invicta, but there’s a short synopsis on their site:

An alien force has arrived in the far reaches of Solar System and begun probing Earth’s defenses and building an invasion fleet. The player must assemble a council of scientists, politicians, military leaders and operatives who can unite Earth’s squabbling nations with the ultimate goal of taking the fight to the aliens in the high ground of outer space.

Sounds a bit like XCOM, no?

LINK

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:45 pm 
Honorary Texan

No Xcom2 posts yet?

Here's a quick review: Runs fine on Win10. A Great, great game.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11323
I concur. Great game. Was a bit dubious from the screenshots, as it all looked a bit cartoony in the cyberpunk-esque future. I was wrong, it looks fine.

I can see I'll be playing this until I'm done with it.

Profile E-mail