It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Zhentarim Field Agent
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:53 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8907
Normally my Character is a Halfling Rogue/Ranger/Shadow Dancer Dual Weilder, have played Monks and Rangers. This build is interesting:
Quote:
Zhentarim Field Agent: Halfling Fighter 14 / SD 1/ Rogue 25

"In the cold grey light of dawn, he stood still as stone, alone in the ghostly mist. And we knew then, that if we could see him, it was already too late."
--- Maxwell Crowlin, Master Harper

The Zhentarim Agent is an attempt to create an iconic template for a Halfling Fighter/Rogue in PvM play. While Fighter/Rogue/SDs are in abundance, it will become clear that the Zhentarim Agent separates himself from the rest. Strong stealth, strong sneak damage, strong skills, solid hit points, strong against magic saves, strong base damage, HiPS, solid AC, UMD, and can launch a Called Shot from a stealthed position that brings with it 13d6 sneak, Crippling Strike, and 1d8 +21 base damage with a 15-20 base crit range. This character provides for a potent yet balanced blend of both offense and defense.

_________

Zhentarim Field Agent
Playable from Ground to 40, PvM (with particular emphasis 1-28)

Rogue25
Shadowdancer1
Fighter14

Race: Halfling (works well with Human, too)
Alignment: Any

Attributes
Str14 (30)
Int14
Wis8
Dex14
Con16
Chr8

Levelling Guide
http://home.comcast.net/~worldofgreyhaw ... 27009.html
Looks great, but two tweeks for the OC.

One, the Desert Wind+1 Scimitar is great, got terrific criticals and slashing damage, but 1/3 of the campaign enemies are immune to Criticals, plus the non Burgeoning damage is reduced. And the Desert Wind Scimitar won't be available until late in the OC Chap 1.

My answer, Drone+1 Morningstar, available in early Chap 1, plus it has both piercing and burgeoning damage on par with the Scimitar.

Two, the leveling guide calls for Fighter at level 3, if ypur playing the OC that will cost bunches of experience points (EP).

Lvl as rogue.

How to handle the Prelude, The early part of this youtube shows the speed run to Fenwick.

This speed run shows the character killing the enemy enroute to Fenwick, lvl up 2 and 3 for free, I suggest no killing, once your Lvl 3 head back intp the academy for the experience points and goodies.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Zhentarim Field Agent
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:44 pm 
buck private

Have been testing him on the OC, played him thru the four areas ... combat wise he's good.

He's lvl 8 Rog3, Fig4, SD1. Had always read that Discipline skill was wasted on a Halfling, don't you believe it. He stood toe to toe with spiders, blood sailors, prison bosses, everybody and never lost a weapon or got set on his rump.

As for the morningstar, like it, but if you want the scimitar back it with a mace of disruption and board.

Have some tidying up to do yet then the final battle and a comparison with the Duel Welding Halfing.

Need more skill points for Lore and such.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:12 pm 
buck private

Completed Chap 1, the only problem was me :oops:

The attack and Dester chase was fine until Helm (final) floor 3. Why was floor 3 a problem?

The enemy acted differently, instead of masses of undead, ect flooding out and attacking in mass they remained in the rooms and needed to be dug out. Then it took a couple of reloads to get my s..t together. Other than me the 'Build' was good.

IMO the 'Zhentarim Field Agent' is a good build.

BUT ... am tired of using the OC for testing, time for a change, like 'Shadowlords'

Am beginning the 'Shadowlords Campaign' with a modded Zhentarim Field Agent, why modded?

Because most Epic Builds set the Charisma and Wisdom to '8' (-2) below average and the 'Shadowlords 1 - The Message' readme sez:
Quote:
GENERAL HINTS
-------------
* When creating a new character, don't ignore the Deity field. The campaign recognizes three main deities:
Lathander (the god of healing), Lliira (the god of joy), or Cyric (the god of murder). The differences are fairly small, but can make a difference.
* Don't neglect the Persuasion skill. Many quests can be resolved by talking your way through something.
* Pay attention to your henchmen. While not every module has a "gift" from them, some do, but only if you treat them well.
A low Charisma is a no-no, so lowered Constitution to 14 (ouch!) and raised Charisma to 12 and Wisdom to 10.
Quote:
BACKGROUND
----------
You are summoned to the Temple of Lathander in Scornubel by Josura Hlammel, the high priestess.
She gathers you together and makes a short speech:
"Welcome friends! For many years, I have watched you grow and come into adulthood. I remember tending your scrapes and bruises, offering advice, and keeping you out of trouble as best I could.
Now I hear your desire to see to world has grown strong, and you soon hope to be off to seek
your fortune. If you could put you plans on hold for a few days, I would beg a favor from you.

In recent weeks, the Zhentarim activity in the area has increased to the point where a patrol
of Red Shields has been dispatched for the Trielta Hills. Captain Preth leads the group.
He is a fine commander, and I normally would have full faith in his abilities.

As a member of this temple, I sometimes receive information from divine sources. It has been
made known to me that this recent Zhent excursion may have more sinister implications.
Because of this, I ask that you carry a message to Captain Preth. His men are in grave danger,
and this information is vital to the safety of the Sword Coast.

As a cleric of Lathander, I often commune with those of the higher planes. Last night, I dreamt
I hovered above the ground, seeing Captain Preth far below. His men fought the Zhent troops, as if dark hands maneuvered tiny chess pieces. The same player moved both sides, and won no matter the outcome. It was a troubling dream, and I composed this letter as soon as I awoke.

The captain is on the northern edge of the Trielta Hills. If you head towards Trielta and turn
east, you'll find the Eureka Inn. From there, a trail heads north through the hills and you will
find Preth stationed at the edge of the Forest of Wyrms.

My friends, you might want to head to Scornubal's city center to pick up supplies before you go.

The Walk holds a number of shops that could prepare you for your journey. Also, seek out Thistle, a halfling trader who is heading along the Trade Way towards Trielta. You may travel with him.

Here is the letter. May Lathander keep you safe."

It is not the trip to the Trielta Hills that concerns you, but rather what you will find when you
get there. Eureka is no more than an inn and a few buildings, as not many stayed after the mines played out. You might be able to resupply there, but the difficulty is reaching Captain Preth on the other side of the hills.

If the Zhent have taken the pass, you could be in for a tough fight. Alternatively, there may
be a way to slip by the troops unnoticed.

No matter your method, you must find a way to Captain Preth. As every day passes, lives are lost in a senseless battle. You must find a way to reach him and discover the hand that pulls the strings of the Red Shields and the Zhentarim.
You'll notice my guy is the 'Zhentarim Field Agent' and the baddies are 'Zhentarim'!

Hmmmmmmm

What is a Zhentarim? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhentarim

Wish me luck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:48 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11323
Hard core.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:19 pm 
buck private

EUBanana wrote:
Hard core.
Yes, the opening bit had me reloading 4 times, now he's lvl 4 he can hold his own, barely.

Finished the Opening and The Message, then Priestess Josura Hlammel sent me to:
Quote:
http://www.adamandjamie.com/nwn/module2.asp
Along the River Reaching lies the far town of Hill's Edge. A trading town, cargo is often sent down river from the Dusk Road to Scornubel. Proximity to the frontiers and the Zhent-held Sunset Mountains, the city seems ever-shrouded by dark clouds.

Several years ago, the mayor Lysel perished under questionable circumstances. Quickly, a new mayor appeared, backed by a majority of merchant factions. Mayor Menos has given the merchants free reign and lessened taxes considerably. Unfortunately, the town defenses have suffered from his neglect and some of the townsfolk are concerned about a takeover from the Zhentarim to the east. The mayor has done little to hear these cries, and continues to invite the leaders of the merchant guilds to lavish parties.

To add to these difficulties, recent public conflicts have erupted between the temples of Cyric, the god of Murder, and Chauntea, the god of agriculture. While barely tolerating each other under the best of circumstances, their followers have been involved in several brutal attacks. The depleted militia can do little to stop this, except to beg tolerance.

Quincel is the leader of the Cyric temple, one of the few open ones in the Sword Coast. Only the close ties to the Zhentarim allow it to propser here. It is thought that the Zhent use the services of the Cyric priestess and her followers. Quincel's true liege is to her dark God, however, and sees the Zhentarim as little more than pawns.

It is into this troubled town that the evidence leads. If the mysteries uncovered during The Message are to be solved, the party must search for the source of the terror that has overtaken these lands.
and here he is in the middle of a dungeon crawl, but there's a silver lining ... my companion is a beautiful Claric Celestial, Anera, who just remarked that she's ' ... beginning to like me.' and followed that with 'this is easier with you along.'

Whoopie, the old Hobbit's going to get some, whoopie!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:32 pm 
buck private

Installed NWN on Win 7.

Will the Zhentarim Field Agent ride again?

Yah, you bet cha!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:34 am 
buck private

The Zhentarim Field Agent is going to make his appearance again as the Bastard of Kosigan:
Quote:
Title Exile of the West (Bastard of Kosigan, episode 1)
http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn ... sh-version
Author Fabien Cerutti (translated by Ginni Swanton)
Submitted / Updated 07-19-2006 / 06-26-2007
Setting Medieval Europe (but with lots of fantasy inside…) This is the XIIIth century, but a XIIIth century where you can still find old Elven cities in the depths of ancient forests, or Dwarven kingdoms hidden in the northeastern part of Germany... The Holy Inquisition of the Catholic Church is hunting down magic users and a New World is about to born... But the forces of the Old World, with its magic and its legendary creatures, are still there...trying to survive.

Level Range The combat should prove rather difficult, so if you don’t like difficulties, feel free to play a higher level character (level 11 or 12, but not any higher please, because if you kill some NPC’s too fast, you can run into some major problems.)
Races Rather human for the historical taste, but you can play any race if you really want to...ONLY MALE CHARACTER though...(for inheritance coherance sake)
Tricks & Traps Light
Roleplay Heavy
Hack & Slash Heavy
Classes Especially suited for warrior, ranger and rogue classes...But all classes can be played. (Straight-minded paladin and Rude-Stupid Barbarians are less suited however).
YOU CAN ALSO PLAY ONE OF THE 2 PRESTIGE CLASSES SPECIALY MADE FOR THE SERIES ('Errant Knight' and 'Mercenary Spy' BUT YOU HAVE TO KNOW THEY ARE RATHER POWERFUL.
Note that the hak containing the classes of prestige must be placed in your hak folder even if you don't intend to play them.
Will have to play human, no problem, the problem is modifying Chrisma, this is an RPG where talking is important.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:33 pm 
buck private

For the time the'Bastard' is a no go, problems with dropping out, may be Win 10. No problem with plain NWN, will give it a through check today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:18 pm 
buck private

Didja forget NWN, just a little reminder:
Quote:
https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2017/08/Ne ... arios.html
• Swordflight Chapter Three combat scenario - Weapon Master vs. Priest of Malar: Big bursty damage of Scythe crits saved my ass here, against a priest who unleashes AoEs if you don't get in his face and smack him down first. Then he shapeshifts, but yeah, another big crit dropped him before he could raise a paw. Improved Invisibility is mandatory for concealment (Zarala buff). This is not as EZ as it looks. Sometimes werecats train on Zarala, too. Not good. Again, I was lucky.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:23 pm 
buck private

Quote:
grizzled_dwarflo
rd
Moderator's
Forum
Underdark
Posted Saturday, 14 January 2006 04:21PM (GMT)
"In the cold grey light of dawn, he stood still as stone, alone in the ghostly mist. And
we knew then, that if we could see him, it was already too late."
--- Maxwell Crowlin, Master Harper
The Zhentarim Agent is an attempt to create an iconic template for a Halfling
Fighter/Rogue in PvM play. While Fighter/Rogue/SDs are in abundance, it will
become clear that the Zhentarim Agent separates himself from the rest. Strong
stealth, strong sneak damage, strong skills, solid hit points, strong against magic
saves, strong base damage, HiPS, solid AC, UMD, and can launch a Called Shot
from a stealthed position that brings with it 13d6 sneak, Crippling Strike, and 1d8
+21 base damage with a 15-20 base crit range. This character provides for a potent
yet balanced blend of both offense and defense.
_________
Zhentarim Field Agent
Playable from Ground to 40, PvM (with particular emphasis 1-28)
Rogue25
Shadowdancer1
Fighter14
Race: Halfling (works well with Human, too)
Alignment: Any
Attributes
Str14 (30)
Int14
Wis8
Dex14
Con16
Chr8
Levelling Guide
1 Rogue1, Iron Will
2 Fighter1, Weapon Focus: Scimitar
3 Fighter2, Dodge, Mobility
4 Fighter3, Str15
5 Fighter4, Weapon Specialization: Scimitar
6 Rogue2, Blindfighting
7 Rogue3
8 Shadowdancer1, Str16
9 Rogue4, Stealthy
10 Fighter5
11 Fighter6, Improved Critical: Scimitar
12 Rogue5, SF: Hide, Str17
13 Rogue6
14 Rogue7
15 Rogue8, Called Shot
16 Rogue9, Str18
17 Rogue10, Crippling Strike
18 Fighter7, Toughness
19 Rogue11
20 Rogue12, Str19
21 Fighter8, EWF, Great Str I
22 Rogue13, ESF: Move Silently
23 Rogue14
24 Rogue15, Epic Will, Str21
25 Rogue16, ESF: Hide
26 Fighter9
27 Rogue17, Great Str II
28 Fighter10, EWS: Scimitar, Str23
29 Fighter11
30 Fighter12, Epic Prowess, Great Str III
31 Rogue18
32 Rogue19, Improved Evasion, Str25
33 Rogue20, Great Str IV
34 Rogue21
35 Rouge22
36 Rogue23, Great Str V, Str28
37 Rogue24. ESF: Spellcraft
38 Fighter13
39 Fighter14, Great Str VI, Armor Skin
40 Rogue25, Str30
Combat Performance
AB: 41/36/31/26
AC: 30 (31) in mundane Plate
HP: 458
Scimitar Damage: 1-8+21(15-20/x2)+13d6sneak+Crippling Strike
Saves
Fort: 23 (29)
Will: 22 (28)
Reflex: 25 (31)
Skills:
Hide: 43 (60)
Move Silently: 43 (59)
UMD: 41(40)
Tumble: 40
Discipline: 42 (52)
Set Traps: 30 (34)
Disable Traps: 30 (34)
Search: 15
Spellcraft: 20 (32)
Open Locks: 10 (12)
Heal: 4
Lore: 1 (3)
Bluff: 4 (3)
Intimidate: 4 (3)
Advantages:
Stealth/HiPS in Full Plate
Can Launch a Called Shot/Sneak Attack that brings Crippling Strike/high sneak
damage
Excellent Base Damage
Use Magic Device
Doens't rely on Epic levels to "mature"
Disadvantages
Mediocre Saves (but tough against Spells)
line. If the front line falls, though, you are more than capable of picking up the
slack-- Your ability to melee is still much better than other Rogues.
2. Rely on your Skills. He can find traps. Use your Search. He can recover traps, he
can disable traps, and he can set Deadly ones. Scout the field. Assess your enemy.
Lay traps that exploit your opponent's weaknesses. Lure your enemy through your
minefield, and then slam them with your sneak attack when the explosions thunder
about them.
3. UMD: Collect scrolls. Hoard them. You can have some parchment hotkeyed to
deal with any situation. Keen, Improved Invisibility, Greater Stoneskin, Premonition,
Bulls Strength, Cats Grace, Slow, etc. The UMD will also allow you to access items
that are race/class/gender/alignment restricted.
4. Stealth & Dexterity: Even though you are strength-based, it is still a good strategy
to find ways to enhance your Dexterity. Stock up on potions of Cat's Grace. Find
those little items that grant boosts to Hide/Move Silently. Remember, even though he
is in heavy armor, he can easily overcome the armor check penalty due to racial
bonuses and feat enhancements. Making sure you keep your stealth scores up insures
that HiPS works and that you can beat Spot/Listen checks against the enemy.
Remember, just because you wear Full Plate doesn't mean you can't stealth
effectively. You can.
_______
Skill Progression
1. Hide4, MS4, Tum4, UMD4, ST4, DT4, OL4, Search4, Heal2, Lore1, Bluff2,
Intimidate3
2. Disc4
3. Disc6, Bank+2
4. Disc7, Bank+3
5. Disc8, Bank+3
6. Hide9, MS9, Tum9, UMD7
7. Hide10, MS10, Tum10, UMD10, Search5, DT5, ST5, OL5
8. Hide11, MS11, Tum11, Heal4, Intimidate4, Bluff4
9. Hide12, MS12, Tum12, UMD12, DT7, ST7, OL6
10. Disc12
11. Disc14, Bank2
12. Hide15, MS15, Tum15, UMD15
13. Hide16, MS16, Tum16, UMD16, DT9, ST9, Search6
14. Hide17, MS17, Tum17, UMD17, DT10, ST10, Bank4
15. Hide18, MS18, Tum18, UMD18, Bank6
16. Hide19, MS19, Tum19, UMD19, Bank6
17. Hide20, MS20, Tum20, UMD20, Spellcraft8, ST11, DT11, S7, Bank3
18. Disc21
19. Hide22, MS22, Tum22, UMD21, DT12, ST12, Search8
20. Hide23, MS23, Tum23, DT15, ST15, Search9
21. Disc24, Bank1
22. Hide25, MS25, Tum25, DT17, ST17, Search10
23. Hide26, MS26, Tum26, DT20, ST20, Search11
24. Hide27, MS27, Tum27, DT23, ST23, Search12
25. Hide28, MS28, Tum28, DT26, ST26, Search13
26. Disc28
27. Hide30, MS30, Tum30, DT27, ST27, Search15
28. Disc31, Bank1
29. Disc32, Bank3
30. Disc33, Bank3
31. Hide34, MS34, Tum34, UMD26
32. Hide35, MS35, Tum35, UMD33
33. Hide36, MS36, Tum36, UMD34, DT30, ST30
34. Hide37, MS37, Tum37, UMD35, Bank6
35. Hide38, MS38, Tum38, UMD36, Bank6
36. Hide39, MS39, Tum39, Bank7
37. Hide40, MS40, Tum40, Spellcraft20, Bank2
38. Disc39
39. Disc42, Bank1
40. Hide43, MS43, UMD41
Halfling's Lucky feat (free Luck of Heroes), all provided the right combinations to
make him work, and at the same time make him unique. One will be hard-pressed to
find strength-based, platemail-wearing Halfling Hipster Rogues in the Realms.
But Humans and Dwarves should work well in this template. Humans can get a
better stat spread and more skill points (Listen), and use their extra feat to get Skill
Focus: Move Silently. Dwarves would get the best stat spread, another bump to
magic saves, but would have to drop a feat (probably Toughness) to get SF: Move
Silently. Elves, gnomes and Half-orcs would obviously face an XP penalty
This is the complete build, the link in the first post isn't working ... this is it.

As I posted earlier I use Morningstars and Human w/a shield.

Profile E-mail