maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tabletop Gaming
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:08 pm 
PFC

Reputation points: 1082
NefariousKoel wrote:

Nope. Originally got two herniated/bulging disks in 1999. At the age of 24, I still felt invincible at that time & thought I'd heal up just fine but that didn't end up being the case.

Treatment was a failure, didn't work. Insurance companies were fairly useless back then, even after re-injuring a few times. They'd give a small settlement so they didn't have to spend the big bucks on operations. So I kept working for more than a decade. Got much worse. Now it's up to four herniated disks, plus a plethora of other spinal issues I already had or later developed (degenerative disk disease, stenosis, scoliosis, etc). Long list. Surgery made it worse in some ways, but I knew I was screwed by that point anyway. The Docs started telling me it's not going to be better, but I already knew by then.

Anyway, it's constant pain. Traveling in a car makes it worse, and sucks the joy right outta me after about 30+ minutes of driving. May as well be locked in a torture device. :P Fortunately they keep me medicated so I'm somewhat functional, although there are always bad days.

The problem is that I never know when I'm going to feel relatively well and mobile, or be laid low most of the day.

Apologies for the long explanation.

I appreciate the long explanation!

I'm sorry to hear this man... oddly enough, I threw my back out on Friday. All weekend I was on the couch because of lower back spasms and I would 'lock up' randomly which of course is very painful. I felt like my whole world was fucked as just the most trivial thing like making a sandwich or taking a piss was this thing that I had to gear up for and endure.

Point being, I can't imagine how horrible this is for you as a day in and day out experience. I assume you have to do some form of PT to help manage the pain and frequency of bad days?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:15 pm 
PFC

NefariousKoel wrote:
Played my first career as a fleet boat commander in the solitaire game Silent Victory.

First patrol went extremely well, with over 26k tons sunk & a Silver Star, despite all the dud torpedoes. Thanks in part to finding a 16,600 ton troop/passenger ship right before heading home and sending the rest of my torpedoes at her.

Second patrol... hit a mine right when I reached my patrol zone around Japan. Dead. I knew it wouldn't last, but damn if Lady Luck isn't a fickle broad.

Fun or no?

I've looked at this but a few of my concerns as this type of game relates to me:

1) I'm a lazy gamer. I like to just set shit in motion and then do nothing or wait to spring trap. This mostly applies to computer games, but with say axis and allies, I'm a big fan of the infantry wall where I build up a huge stack of infantry and either someone attacks it after a few turns or I go on a rampage. Yet I didn't do much else during those few turns.

2) Do you feel like you have control or are in constant reaction mode to the game? I am not a big fan of some solo games where it feels like I'm just managing disasters instead of formulating winning strategies to beat the game. I expect some disasters, but not where it's one after another after another. Think Robinson Caruso game if you have or played that.

3) Back to point 1. Is there a lot of tracking this, tracking that? Writing?

It looks pretty cool and sort of reminds me of playing silent service from microprose back in the late 80's on my commodore 128.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:36 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11537
Reiryc wrote:
Mdiehl,
You're a table top gamer too?
Any particular game preferences?

I figure I have owned and played, or attempted to play, almost every table top consim from every era of history ever written, and a whole bunch of others that are non-historical but just plain fun. Some of them work well among nerds and others for grognerds. I've sold the awful ones. Sold or given away many good ones too, simply because the players who were interested faded out of my life to different parts of the country.

The good consim ones I've kept:

SPI "Great Battles of the American Civil War" series including the TSR/SPI entries.
Advanced Squad Leader
Totaler Krieg
Advanced 3rd Reich (best with variants and no politics or research)
Stellar Conquest
Flat Top
Carrier Battles/Iron Samurai (Rising Sun Simulations)

The good family tabletop games I've kept:

Firefly
Abandon Ship (a game where you and other players compete to get color coded rats off the titanic)
Robo Rally
Cosmic Encounter
Monsters Ravage America
Fortune and Glory
Arkham Horror (and expansions)

Miniatures Based tabletop games all genres

Rally Round the Flag (15mm ACW)

Lord of the Rings (GW big scale strategy game, it was never terribly popular I guess but the rules are sound and I have built an Army Worthy of Mordor, and I picked up boatloads of underpriced minis on Ebay and at a local gamestore annual auction)

Warhammer40K (I bought shpiles of Tyranids off ebay way below GW prices and have a good, broad starter army)

Age of Sail

If you ever want to know if some old or collectible game is worth playing, I've probably played it or tried to.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:17 pm 
PFC

Dang, you are a gamer!

I had no idea...

What's your thoughts on conflict of heroes? I own it, but haven't played it yet. I've noticed that the older I'm getting (45 now ugh), the less tolerance I have for 'monster games'.... I also have fighting formations Gross Deutchland but haven't played that either. Both seem on the lighter side compared to say squad leader (I don't have advanced, just the original) but I can't tell if they are actually - fun.

Age of Sail is quite fun. I don't own it but a friend of mine does. He went all out and bought a couple mats, 2 core boxes and has all the ship expansions. So the experience is quite nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

I've not played Conflict of Heroes. Didn't buy it because it seems very redundant with ASL, and I am already very satisfied with ASL.

Now, if one of my sons were to buy it and want to play it I'd take it up. Or if I run out of ASL opponents. But for now, I'm committed.

Been playing Red Barricades CGIII. I love ASL because of the "shit happens" aspect of it. Also because if there's something plausible you want to do there's probably a Rule for it.

"Opfor is holed up in a fortified building can I knock a hole in the wall with my tank?" Yes, there's a rule for that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:29 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 13300
Thanks for the sentiments guys!

I would like to get some gaming going, after I get moved and drum up a local group. Should be easier, and involve little travel, once I'm back in my native area where some of my old friends would be up for it on occasion.

Reiryc wrote:

Fun or no?

I've looked at this but a few of my concerns as this type of game relates to me:

1) I'm a lazy gamer. I like to just set shit in motion and then do nothing or wait to spring trap. This mostly applies to computer games, but with say axis and allies, I'm a big fan of the infantry wall where I build up a huge stack of infantry and either someone attacks it after a few turns or I go on a rampage. Yet I didn't do much else during those few turns.

2) Do you feel like you have control or are in constant reaction mode to the game? I am not a big fan of some solo games where it feels like I'm just managing disasters instead of formulating winning strategies to beat the game. I expect some disasters, but not where it's one after another after another. Think Robinson Caruso game if you have or played that.

3) Back to point 1. Is there a lot of tracking this, tracking that? Writing?

It looks pretty cool and sort of reminds me of playing silent service from microprose back in the late 80's on my commodore 128.

Solitaire Games!
:D :ugeek:

I know what you mean about some solitaire games being a long series of shitty events "piling on".

Silent Victory, and it's U-boat predecessor, are enjoyable for short stretches of solitaire gaming. It gets rather repetitive after awhile because you're really only making a small handful of decisions regarding the attack approach, specific weapon(s) used, and re-attack & pursuit. The rest of the time, you're just along for the ride. Kinda like the old B-17 Queen Of The Skies. But it's not terribly difficult to learn, and it's relatively easy to pack up and break it back out to continue your sub career. Which is a plus compared to many tabletop games.

Of military-themed solitaire games, I think DVG's Thunderbolt Apache Leader is one of the best. It has more planning and decisions to be made. Not too much random piling, there, either. The whole Leader series is enjoyable, but this ground attack version has the extra dynamic of randomized terrain and low-level flight considerations added. 8-) Plus the damage effects on your aircraft are more detailed than the other more basic Leader series (Phantom Leader, Hornet Leader, upcoming IDF Leader).

DVG also has a pair of solitaire submarine "Leader" games, but I've seen mixed reviews of them. I'd really like to check out Gato Leader but as with all DVG games, the sticker price is pretty high. So I'm more wary of picking them up, despite DVG having some great solitaire games.

They also have the Field Commander series. I have Alexander, but haven't messed with it yet. Looks cool, if a bit on the light side for me. I often read that the Napoleon title is pretty amazing.

Like you, I start to dislike it when solitaire games just keep heaping shitty events on you. It's a staple of solitaire games, in general, but some do it far more obviously than others. A good example are the popular Lovecraft-themed games Arkham Horror and the newer Eldritch Horror. Really enjoy the theme but every time I play those things, my characters just keep picking up curses, diseases, festering wounds, and all kinds of nastiness. Keeping track of it is probably what puts me over the edge at times. Great game but I feel like a masochist.

Some of my favorite solo games have a lot of tough choices to be made, or paths to take, without getting bogged down too much such as mentioned above.

Here are some I've really enjoyed:

Darkest Night (Necromancer bundle) from Victory Point Games

Mage Knight by WizKids

Thunderbolt Apache Leader from Dan Verssen Games

Gears Of War from Fantasy Flight Games

Assault On Doomrock from BD Games

RAF (new edition.. kinda fun but gets repetitive after awhile, like Silent Victory)

Bios: Megafauna

Agents Of Smersh

Card games:

Sentinels Of The Multiverse

Legendary Encounters - the Alien(s) Movie themed one

Shadowrun: Crossfire

Thunderstone

I own but still need to play these, or play some more, before the jury is out:
(note: there are some good ones in here, which gave good early impressions)

Fire In The Lake: the insurgency in Vietnam - GMT (Or any of their COIN series)

Mercs: Recon

Galaxy Defenders

Field Commander: Alexander

Mistfall

Shadows Of Malice

Defenders Of The Realm

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

A Touch Of Evil ,and Conquest Of Planet Earth, and Fortune & Glory by Flying Frog Productions

Shadows Of Brimstone by Flying Frog Prod.

ShadowRift

Xenoshyft

B-29 Superfortress + Hell Over Korea expansion

Picket Duty

Robinson Crusoe

Lord Of the Rings LCG

Cards Of Cthulhu

Castle Ravenloft

Galactic Strike Force

Empire of the Sun

Ghost Stories

Runebound

51st State

Gladiator: Quest For The Rudis

Posthuman

<..probably a few others I missed..>

There are also some competitive games I own, which have received official co-op/solitaire rules or expansions since I got them. Yet to give them a full solitaire trial:

Descent 2nd Edition from Fantasy Flight (I do enjoy this system and the fancy bits!)

Xia: Legends of a Drift System (random hex map, pirates & merchants IN SPAAACE)

Ancient Terrible Things (dice-y game)

Run, Fight, or Die (dice-y game)

As you can see, the majority of my tabletop games are co-operative/solitaire.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Runebound is a very good beer and pretzels game for people who want a fantasy game that's not an RPG. Have that and the Frozen Wastes expansion pack.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:39 pm 
Hair in the soap

mdiehl wrote:
Runebound is a very good beer and pretzels game for people who want a fantasy game that's not an RPG. Have that and the Frozen Wastes expansion pack.

I have the new one (3rd Edition?) that came out last year. It's different from the version you have, although it does look fun.

Forgot I had it until I decided to go see which solo-able games I have. Now that I think of it, that one isn't technically co-op/solo but it's easily enjoyable that way anyhow.

Also have the Warhammer Quest co-op card game. Forgot that one. Haven't played it yet, but most people say it's like the co-operative LotR LCG from FFG "Lite". Unfortunately Games Workshop dropped their partnership with FFG so that's as far as it's gonna go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:15 pm 
Hair in the soap

My nephew, playing the Tokugawa faction, was trouncing me at our first game of Sekigahara: The Unification Of Japan this afternoon in the game cave.

Very enjoyable card-driven block game that isn't too rules heavy. The first session went even better than I expected, and the crafty kid caught on very quickly. :ugeek: :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15235
NefariousKoel wrote:
[
Nope. Originally got two herniated/bulging disks in 1999. At the age of 24, I still felt invincible at that time & thought I'd heal up just fine but that didn't end up being the case.

Treatment was a failure, didn't work. Insurance companies were fairly useless back then, even after re-injuring a few times. They'd give a small settlement so they didn't have to spend the big bucks on operations. So I kept working for more than a decade. Got much worse. Now it's up to four herniated disks, plus a plethora of other spinal issues I already had or later developed (degenerative disk disease, stenosis, scoliosis, etc). Long list. Surgery made it worse in some ways, but I knew I was screwed by that point anyway. The Docs started telling me it's not going to be better, but I already knew by then.

Anyway, it's constant pain. Traveling in a car makes it worse, and sucks the joy right outta me after about 30+ minutes of driving. May as well be locked in a torture device. :P Fortunately they keep me medicated so I'm somewhat functional, although there are always bad days.

The problem is that I never know when I'm going to feel relatively well and mobile, or be laid low most of the day.

Apologies for the long explanation.

Hory crap! I promise to stop complaining about my neck!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next