It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Re: DCS
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:12 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 865
I keep hearing complaints about a memory leak, but haven't really noticed it myself. I don't think I'm on more than 1.5 hours at a time. The first time I start the game, it comes up very slowly, but runs quickly after the first time.

I've been finally trying out the Viggen, I bought some time back. Very hard to navigate that weird Swedish cockpit. I can probably use just about anything except the Mavericks. Launching them seems near impossible, having to use the small recticle sight. The older Swedish missile runs like a Bullpup, where you have to fly it in by hand, which is extremely difficult. I can probably hit a skyscraper with it.

It tends to tie in the navigation stuff rather tightly with the attack computer, so you need to stick to waypoints and come in from the right direction.

I'm torn whether to pre-purchase the hornet or give the Mirage 2000 a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k410pj6a7iw&list=PLybwkkoqH33Yy2_RE3VNbxkcRJTbpox7I&index=1&t=0s

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:20 pm 
Corporal

What gives me a lot of help: A guy named "Chuck" on the DCS forums makes some very nice user guides to doing stuff in many of these planes. The "official" manual is as interesting as a calculus textbook.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182709

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:08 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 16700
Zad Fnark wrote:
I keep hearing complaints about a memory leak, but haven't really noticed it myself. I don't think I'm on more than 1.5 hours at a time. The first time I start the game, it comes up very slowly, but runs quickly after the first time.

I've been finally trying out the Viggen, I bought some time back. Very hard to navigate that weird Swedish cockpit. I can probably use just about anything except the Mavericks. Launching them seems near impossible, having to use the small recticle sight. The older Swedish missile runs like a Bullpup, where you have to fly it in by hand, which is extremely difficult. I can probably hit a skyscraper with it.

It tends to tie in the navigation stuff rather tightly with the attack computer, so you need to stick to waypoints and come in from the right direction.

I'm torn whether to pre-purchase the hornet or give the Mirage 2000 a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k410pj6a7iw&list=PLybwkkoqH33Yy2_RE3VNbxkcRJTbpox7I&index=1&t=0s

I've had almost no interest in der Viggen. Although it's nice having more '70s era airframes available for the servers restricted to flyables of that period. :)

As for DCS 2.5 issues, the biggest I've noticed is the shitty multi-player lobby & server netcode. They let those bugs accumulate so long, they've finally acknowledged that they must address them.

Was going nuts attempting to connect, at times. Some servers I couldn't get into in 2.5. Others I'd have ridiculous UI lag, and would have to do a spawn & de-spawn dance to get it to stop. Plus there's still huge lag spikes when you're on and someone spawns in, which is a bug that's been around in the v2 beta for ages. :roll:

They said they're working on the multi-player issues, so I'll revisit once they get some of those cleaned up.

Really thought hard about pre-ordering the F-18. But things are tight right now, and between the aforementioned MP annoyances, and fully expected the F-18 "beta" release to require a lot of patching over many months, I'll just wait until it's more finely tuned. Gonna be fun, just don't wanna pay to be a tester on it.

Haven't flown the Mirage in awhile. Enjoyed it quite a bit last year. Was pretty easy to learn for a 4th-Gen fighter. Not a bunch of button pressing specifics to remember; fairly straightforward. Fun little dart to fly. Seeing the little sucker sitting on the tarmac next to a Su-27 is kinda ridiculous, relating to size. :lol:

I've always read Chuck's Guides first, and to help plan out my HOTAS button mapping. I do eventually read parts of the full DCS flight manual, though. I put all kinds of PDF manuals on my Kindle tablet & get much waiting room reading time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:21 am 
Corporal

I bit ze bullet and pre-ordered the Hornet. I'd like to fly something a bit more balsey.

I think HeatBlur is working on an F-4, and I'd be all over that one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:09 pm 
Hair in the soap

Devs say they "think" that they've fixed the memory leaks and MP texture loading performance.

Glad they finally worked on that stuff. Will be surprised if they got it all without also breaking other things at the same time (testing? we don't need no stinking testing!). :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:22 pm 
Corporal

I hadn't noticed the memory issues, but then, I haven't played for hours at a stretch.

This last update, though makes everything load slower than ever. Once I fly a mission, everything goes quickly, but the first time takes forever.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:54 pm 
Corporal

I cracked the wallet open today and got the M2000.

Pretty nice. Cockpit's logically laid out, unlike the Swedish efforts.

I took a load of Snake-Eyes up. All bombs landed short, so I must have missed something on Chuck's guide. A big "X" on the bottom of the HUD was a mystery to me, too. CCIP seems to lag a bit.

Very well behaved at low speed. I got down to about 160 kph on approach and still dug myself out of trouble. Usually, I like to touch down at 250-300. Drag chute slows down the landing roll greatly.

One of my friends was telling me about the landing approaches he had to make in the T-37 at UPT. It was sort of a descending curve all the way to final, and I've been trying to replicate what he had to do there, descending in a 180 degree turn down to the runway. At least that's how I pictured it.

All sorts of weird cockpit noises. One was probably the ZSU lighting me up as well as stall and/or AOA warnings.

Next time my Air Force buds are up, we'll probably be up until 0400 in the morning on this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:11 am 
Hair in the soap

Zad Fnark wrote:
I cracked the wallet open today and got the M2000.

Pretty nice. Cockpit's logically laid out, unlike the Swedish efforts.

So I see, from your vid (your voice volume was relatively low compared to game btw).

I haven't flown the Mirage 2k in awhile, but it was always fun. Also the easiest of the fully-modeled combat aircraft in DCS to learn.

Quote:
I took a load of Snake-Eyes up. All bombs landed short, so I must have missed something on Chuck's guide. A big "X" on the bottom of the HUD was a mystery to me, too. CCIP seems to lag a bit.

It's CCIP used to be slightly off, about a year ago. Dunno if that every got fixed. Although the wind in DCS may still have a noticeable effect even at lower altitudes. Using the high-drag snakeyes should amplify it.

Not sure if the wind push is overdone or not in 2.5, but ya gotta remember that the wind speed in the editor is measure in meters per second, not miles per hour. I'm pretty sure that has confused numerous mission editors as I've seen the wind cranked excessively high on some custom MP server maps in the past.

Quote:
Very well behaved at low speed. I got down to about 160 kph on approach and still dug myself out of trouble. Usually, I like to touch down at 250-300. Drag chute slows down the landing roll greatly.

One of my friends was telling me about the landing approaches he had to make in the T-37 at UPT. It was sort of a descending curve all the way to final, and I've been trying to replicate what he had to do there, descending in a 180 degree turn down to the runway. At least that's how I pictured it.

I heard the M2k's low-speed flight modeling is what they tweaked most since I last flew it. For it's small size, that thing has a LOT of lift surface. Not to mention it's practically one big leading edge slat flying through the air when at low speed. Those cover nearly the whole front side of each wing. 8-)

Quote:
All sorts of weird cockpit noises. One was probably the ZSU lighting me up as well as stall and/or AOA warnings.

Next time my Air Force buds are up, we'll probably be up until 0400 in the morning on this.

Uhhh.. yeah. Streams of 23mm cannon shells will make some funny noises when they're attempting to occupy the same section of sky that you are. :P

My only complaint about the Mirage 2000C is that it's AAMs are outdated compared to the other 4th Gen fighters in DCS. Unfortunately we got the old '80s M2k modeled in the game, so it's tech isn't on par with the other modern US & Russian ones which are based on models from around the mid-2000s. It's missiles are 70s tech at best. So you're at a disadvantage doing BVR in multi-player.

Gotta be sneaky to get into a more equal range. Can turn fight with the best of those, though! 8-)

There were rumors that the dev was going to add the later MICA missiles (IR and maybe even the ARH version?) but that could just be wishful thinking. I don't think the C-model Mirage ever got upgraded to carry them; or maybe just the IR MICA. The AMRAAM-like MICA version was only on newer models such as the Mirage 2000-4 and others.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am 
Hair in the soap

Also:

The bomb drop interval says it's in "x10m" increments. You said "feet" when setting it. Not sure if you got them switched.. 50m spread between bombs is rather far. ;)

I thought the 'X' at the bottom of the HUD meant something essential, weapon-related, wasn't on or functioning. Hrmm.. Does the radar have to be on, and in some certain mode, to help compute the CCIP and other bomb drop modes?

Chuck's guide was made quite awhile back, when the Mirage was still in beta IIRC, and some of the avionics have been updated since, I believe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:45 am 
Corporal

Didn't know you could see my vid.

Cool.

Profile E-mail