maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: EU4
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:41 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
abradley wrote:
Have a chance to buy 'Europa Universalis IV - Digital Extreme Edition', will it contain all the upgrades?

That one only comes with the release day DLC stuff. Some extra in-game artwork and maybe a few events for the Turks.

Conquest of Paradise is the biggest DLC they just released. That's not in the "Digital Extreme" version, which was just a pre-order bonus pack at release.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:23 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Steam has the Res Publica expansion up for $4.99 right now.
There are a few additional unit packs included with that

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16050
Wealth of Nations + Res Publica have pretty much fixed all my issues with this game.

Been having fun playing Venice, which is actually doable now in the new setup.

The new colonial setup seems cool too, though I've not actually played a colonial power in it yet as merchant republicking has taken priority. Looks like a colony acts more like a vassal state now rather than a core territory (in the fullness of time) like it used to .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:39 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 10210
Picked this up yesterday along with the Wealth of Nations and Res Publica DLC's. Any others I should be looking at?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:47 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
nelmsm wrote:
Picked this up yesterday along with the Wealth of Nations and Res Publica DLC's. Any others I should be looking at?

Conquest of Paradise DLC has randomized New World map! And some other additions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:01 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
Ah, the DLC are out. Will have to check those out in a while.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:13 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 12978
Europa Universalis 1, 2, 3, and 4, got them all and am thinking of playing the game, which should I play?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:21 am 
Sergeant Major

The latest one. They are definite improvements on what came prior. EU4.

It's one of the more sandboxy of Paradox's games so don't expect realism!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:43 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 12978
I've decided:
Quote:
Ten reasons Imperialism II is the greatest strategy game ever made
Tom Chick, May 5, 2014 | Features

If I were to think of a short list of the greatest strategy games ever made, the first thing I would do is rule out real-time strategy games, because they’re their own beast. Get out of here, RTSs. Go get your own list! The next thing I would do is write down titles such as X-Com, Civilization IV, and Alpha Centauri. But the ultimate thing I would do is circle the name of Frog City’s 1999 masterpiece, Imperialism II. There is no strategy game as good as Imperialism II.

After the jump, don’t even bring up chess.

Imperialism II is a pointed historical opinion. The game design — what you do, how you do it, and why you do it — is a distinct perspective on the discovery and exploitation of the New World in the 16th and 17th centuries and how this affected the wars of the 18th and 19th centuries. It is a gameplay editorial. Not to say it’s preachy. It’s not. It’s entirely dispassionate. There is no penalty for killing natives. Slavery is a non-issue. No one will rebel against you for being a dick. But it suggests a specific idea, without judgment or comment. It is game design as an opinion about history rather than a simulation of it.

This isn’t inherently better or worse than tactical combat about fending off alien invaders, growing a civilization over the course of 5000 years, or surviving pink fungus on a distant planet. But it is different. It has a historical relevance unlike Civilization IV’s safely sandbox non-opinions on history.

Imperialism II’s opinion about history, the specific idea, is very simply that Europe used the resources of the New World to get ahead and then it spent those resources to beat itself up.
(Continued)
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/0 ... ever-made/
My Bold.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:53 am 
Sergeant Major

Imperialism 2 was a very good game. I remember playing it a lot back in the day.

Can still remember the music. ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6