maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: MechWarrior Online
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:22 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2702
NefariousKoel wrote:
So you don't need to aim & fire the TAG itself?

No no, TAG works, is and looks like a laser, shoot the beam at target, it gets a TAGged symbol (small crosshair, players on both teams can see it) for 2-3 secs. If you keep the beam on target, it stays TAGged until you switch it off, with TAG generating no heat. The beam itself can be seen, so you might come under fire sooner or later.
A LRM barrage is bad enough, with TAG you can see the targets getting shredded before your eyes. Or, as often as not, you can see that Atlas turning to face you while you are pointing a little flashlight in his direction ... time to leave ;)

NefariousKoel wrote:
I can see the reason that SRMs are so annoyingly inaccurate is because of what seems to be the massive fire delay between you hitting the fire button, and waiting for them to actually fire. That's fine for LRMs that home in but the SRMs are basically straight-running rockets and that nearly 1-second delay is just terrible when Dickelopes are doing the typical FPS circle strafe around you.

I reached the same conclusion at one time. Fact is, you can´t shoot SRMs at lights under most circumstances, to small, to fast. If they come to you head on, are stuck in a corner or running into walls, overheating or in any other way immobilized, fire, otherwise, SRMs are for large targets only. Once you get more comfortable with the delay, you will be able time it nicely, hammered a Jenner nicely that was just about to pass a corner and open up on me, I fired before he was even in sight and scored a full hit when he appeared. The Jenner was about to fire himself but his aim was somewhat off after that :D

NefariousKoel wrote:
Despite the cool subject matter, I've not been able to get into MWO for very long at a time. I dunno what it is, besides lack of content, but there's something just not hooking me as much as it should. It could be somewhat due to being a shooter, but that wasn't an issue with World of Tanks for me so that can't be it. Must be a combination of things - and I know that one of them is certainly the typical AFK'ers regularly ruining matches. The usual (mostly) poor PUG performance is even more of a letdown when you can lose C-bills in these matches (a big argument I have against that) and your teammates supporting each other is a huge factor in MWO. I dunno - this just doesn't feel as habit-forming for me as it should and I'm a bit shocked by that fact. I suppose that the inner sphere faction war/campaign thing will be what it needs to shine but that doesn't sound like work has even started on it yet. :?

If PUGging isn´t for you by all means find a clan or group. Being teamed with random idiots isn´t too bad ... the others have to contend with similar circumstances, no? Losing CBills, not happening to me, it´s either the low repair cost of my Ravens or people really, consistently f*cking up, never troubled me.

Off to Frozen City...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:25 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Scharfschütze wrote:

If PUGging isn´t for you by all means find a clan or group. Being teamed with random idiots isn´t too bad ... the others have to contend with similar circumstances, no? Losing CBills, not happening to me, it´s either the low repair cost of my Ravens or people really, consistently f*cking up, never troubled me.

Off to Frozen City...

I've only lost money once or twice, on my Raven getting good & dead. Keep in mind that I only played long enough to grind my way into a Raven and put in maybe a dozen matches in it, afterward. It wasn't much that I lost, but I did go backwards after repairing & rearming. This was back near the end of Closed Beta, however, and they have since stated that they were going to adjust it, so perhaps it's not an issue anymore.

MWO still feels pretty barren and repetitive, though. But I'm probably comparing it to other match-based "MMOs", both released and Betas, with different subject matter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:13 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050
I really really would like to get in the heat..

I even started looking at the gear for it..

This looked nice
This is what I call proper control rig

I currently have..
Kinda leaves you wanting for more

Still, it's going to cost to play the game.

How much time should I be able to spend to get past the first mech? Do I have to abandon family and business altogether to get something like Catapult during.. next 4 months?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:26 pm 
Hair in the soap

You don't want to use a joystick for MWO. Using a mouse is far superior due to aiming precision.

This is still a shooter, not a flight sim. Hell.. I've even been using the mouse controls for the warplane MOBA betas, as opposed to my joystick. It's still more precise in many cases, there, too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:54 am 

NefariousKoel wrote:
You don't want to use a joystick for MWO. Using a mouse is far superior due to aiming precision.

This is still a shooter, not a flight sim. Hell.. I've even been using the mouse controls for the warplane MOBA betas, as opposed to my joystick. It's still more precise in many cases, there, too.

Oh..

I thought it was one of those "engage coolant" "set speed to 80%" "twist torso" "fire SRM" "switch radar mode" kind of semi-simulation deals.
If it's just Counter-Strike with mechs, which is better to be controlled with a mouse, I couldn't be less bothered.

It would've been so cool playing a big mech game with FF and dual joystick setup that can control all the functions (so you won't have to touch keyboard)...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:08 pm 

Aww... Fuck it.

Going to give it a try, even if it was a pinball game... It's Battletech, after all!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:27 pm 
Hair in the soap

You'll see.

It has the torso twist and all that. But your aiming is still locked to your mouse or joystick. And a mouse is much faster, more precise, in such situations.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:05 pm 

NefariousKoel wrote:
You'll see.

It has the torso twist and all that. But your aiming is still locked to your mouse or joystick. And a mouse is much faster, more precise, in such situations.

I had my first run with my Raven. I walked to the side of a building, burnt some asphalt to crisp with my laser etc.

For me, joystick would feel much more like 'home' in this one. It didn't feel like I had to hit those Atlas guys in the eye while they were doing cartwheels, but then again I spent most of my time banging myself against buildings and destroying roads.

The 'thrust' controller would definitely come in handy as well as the z-axis in the joystick for torso, along with a couple dozen other functions. It's nice that there's a limited amount of actual controls in the game, it leaves room to use some of the buttons for macros, such as joystick speed multiplier control.

I don't think joysticks are that imprecise. You just have to have a good joystick - high precision in the center zone and high speed at the edges.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:38 pm 
Hair in the soap

Well... good luck with that. Some dudes are gonna be fryin' ya with their precision mouse shooter aiming.

You also have to hold lasers on target for a period of time.. they're essentially DoTs and you gotta keep your sight on them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:59 am 

NefariousKoel wrote:
Well... good luck with that. Some dudes are gonna be fryin' ya with their precision mouse shooter aiming.

You also have to hold lasers on target for a period of time.. they're essentially DoTs and you gotta keep your sight on them.

Well, I think I might be turned off of running into buildings with my Raven if it's another ultra-hectic counter-strike game.

I was kind of hoping it would be more strategic. Then again, I would suck at that too. Running into buildings isn't really 'playing it wise'.

I'm one of those types who keep whining for a game where "true tactics matter" but in reality I would suck at that too. But it's a convenient excuse.

I just hope they'll include game balance shifting pay options to this one. Maybe if I buy the biggest mech out there with real cash and outfit it with PPC's I can defeat a Commando or two on a good day. Win the american style, don't have to have the best aptitude if you've got a massive quality gap in everything else :)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next