maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: MechWarrior Online
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:40 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 12669
Holy sh*t Nef!

WT looks like teh shit!

I can wipe off the dust from my joystick and finally get some use for it. I don't remember which it was, maybe warbirds or something like that, iirc. a mikerosoft game from around 15 years back.. It had airfields from which you'd take off and .. fight. That was it iirc. Take off, fight.

It sounds like I won't be put up against a squadron of 262's in a Brewster 10 times in a row in this one.

Talking of MWO, I've insisted that our upcoming game should not be as frustrating. The only thing keeping MWO afloat imho is the massive brand. I was willing to give it 250 matches even though I hated it 95% of the time. That's over 40 hours for a game that I didn't like - how many other games can claim the same?!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:03 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 12496
Another cool thing is that WT has multiple difficulty options. If you want to play a more arcad-ish style, in 3rd person view behind the plane, you can. If you want an in-cockpit sim style with full flight controls, there are matches for those too. And one in between. Lots of options, and I've not even seen the Naval or Tank side of things yet, as they're still working those up (and adding more stuff to the air war).

It'll blow the others away. Guaranteed! ;)

You can be up against a 262 in a Brewster, if you want, but they're in the process of adding cordoned tiers for selection so you can check/uncheck the spread you want to be eligible to join. I've found that, unlike the 'other' one, speed and climb/dive characteristics can really make a difference and turn rate isn't necessarily everything. You can actually boom & zoom quite well, for instance, and the vertical fight can be a huge factor. So the physics are pretty much there. One amazing thing, that I don't often see in 3D games these days, is just how excellent the graphics engine runs on this thing compared to how wonderful it looks. I'm amazed. It just goes to show how terrible the optimization is on a lot of games these days. This thing runs smooth like buttah and blows away others that run like shit with their micro-stutters and low fps.

I'm not gonna get into too many specifics (well, I can't) but this one is so much more enjoyable than anything else I've seen (and the mechanics & engine are equally superior).. I don't play the others. Sure, it doesn't have mechs, so this is rather OT. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:58 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 1702
I´m still on it btw, and a Tier 1 bittervet by now 8-)

Steam release is on Dec. 10th, the game has come a loooooong way since 2012, with proper tutorials, dozens of mechs, clan mechs and stuff. Just saying.

Plus, you wont have to fight me in my tricked out killer builds as noobies are pitted against each other until they ... improve.

Of course, there´s an event going on ATM

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/215493-autumn-harvest-double-xp-and-personal-challenge-event/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:12 pm 
Hair in the soap

I've considered checking out the latest version sometime.

But I never liked the addition of the Clans to the old tabletop game. I'll probably like them even less in the Online PC game. It was like they tossed a whole new set of imbalanced crap into the thing, thus making all the old wonderful stuff obsolete and underpowered. The fuckers. :evil:

Did you see the Kickstarter for the new turn-based Battletech PC game got fully funded? Dynamic merc campaign, multi-player, the works. And sticking to the 3025 tech. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:20 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4024
Nef you know they can't stick to the 3025 tech.....................aint no way they can. It will be more Classic, but too many folks are going to want their double heat sinks.

I remember when the Clans first appeared and we ran a campaign and all 3 of my mech regiments and my armor and 2 inf regiments got shredded. But I have come to enjoy beating the shit out of the Clanners. Plus 3065 is a great year with the re-introduction of tons of Star League era mechs and such. Played right, especially the Royal versions, they can give the Clanners a run for their money.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:06 am 
Corporal

NefariousKoel wrote:
I've considered checking out the latest version sometime.

But I never liked the addition of the Clans to the old tabletop game. I'll probably like them even less in the Online PC game. It was like they tossed a whole new set of imbalanced crap into the thing, thus making all the old wonderful stuff obsolete and underpowered. The fuckers. :evil:

Did you see the Kickstarter for the new turn-based Battletech PC game got fully funded? Dynamic merc campaign, multi-player, the works. And sticking to the 3025 tech. :ugeek:

Very aware the kickstarter thingie
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/we ... battletech

Harebrained Schemes delivered on Shadowrun (love Dragonfall), and they are collaborating with the MWO guys on imagery/designs, looking forward to that game very much.

Best news for Battletech fans this year however was that ... the Unseen are back, the Marauder will be realesed for MWO later today, Warhammer and Rifleman are up next ... good times!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:55 am 
Hair in the soap

Scharfschütze wrote:

Best news for Battletech fans this year however was that ... the Unseen are back, the Marauder will be realesed for MWO later today, Warhammer and Rifleman are up next ... good times!

Which is great.. but.. doesn't the Clan stuff just make them effectively obsolete? :?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:29 am 
Corporal

Reputation points: 740
I remember back in the day...

Yeah, clans pretty much wrecked everything before it.

I once designed a mech around the 10 Omni engine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:34 am 
Corporal

NefariousKoel wrote:
Which is great.. but.. doesn't the Clan stuff just make them effectively obsolete? :?

Well, no.

They are trying to make all chassis/variant viable by adding "quirks" which look like this:

HBK-4G (that´s the Hunchback with the trademark AC20 in the stock loadout)
AC/20 Cooldown +10%
Ballistic Cooldown +15%
Ballistic Range +25%
Ballistic Velocity +25%
Energy Range +15%
Energy Heat Gen -15%
Turn Speed +30%
Torso Yaw Speed +35%
Add Armor RT +18
Add Struc RT +12

As in it fires the AC20 faster, further, with more whacking the enemy around on impact and some extra hitpoints on the hunch which gets taken out in no time if it weren´t for those armor/structure boni.

There´s a pdf document of 50 pages out giving quirk values for today´s patch. Still WIP, and last round of quirk changes was in ... Spring IIRC.

Plus, some mechs are just nasty by nature for ex I like Blackjacks very much for their excellent high weapon hardpoints and good mobility, Griffins for the fantastic left shield arm and tremendous agility, Thunderbolts for their tankyness, especially with standard engines.

On the clan side, the Arctic Cheetah the King of Light Mechs, while running a Warhawk with dual UAC-10s lets you tear apart anything in a hail of cannon fire.
Until you have an ammo stoppage :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:06 pm 
Hair in the soap

So the addition of the Clans has caused even more balancing back & forth patch adjustments? That's pretty much what I expected.

I'm sure they need to constantly add new Mechs to the game, in order to keep their long-term customers continuing to play. All free-to-play Arena games do (along with new maps) and some don't do it fast enough. But the Clan stuff is just imbalanced by nature of the IP lore.

I'm glad to see they're trying to balance the old with the new but that is a never-ending seesaw and I suspect the Clans amplified it.

I may sound like I loathe this game, but I don't. I actually enjoyed it during the few small stretches I played. I felt it was only missing an overarching meta-game involving clan-vs-clan control, so the matches got rather repetitive quickly (especially with few different maps at the time).

While a massive Meta may cause further balancing issues - mostly due to the hordes of Davion fanboy sheeple :P - I think it needs something all-inclusive and overarching like that, and the Meta part wouldn't be a huge balancing concern. Not just the private clan/guild battles, but an actual regular mode for everyone. I still have immensely fond memories of the old 3025 MMO beta many years ago, which had just such a galactic conquest meta-game, on top of it's similar match-based shooter system, and it was soooooo damn fun. Even when your faction was slowly losing the war it was a blast. 8-) I want THAT in MWO.

Despite talk of it from the devs, they don't seem to be terribly interested in devoting much priority to such a thing. Sadly. Instead we got overpowered Clans and some hardcore guild-vs-guild junk. So I tend to complain about the direction the devs are taking MWO when I know how really awesome it could be. :geek:

I bought a Premium Heavy mech quite awhile back. Think it's a Blackjack variant.. dont' quite recall. Picked it up for the extra Credit bonus so that I don't feel the need to get a Premium sub every time I return to check it out for a couple days. Should persuade me to do so more often but I forget I have it sometimes. I will re-download and grok MWO again, before long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next