maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: MechWarrior Online
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:09 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4274
Nef you need to play Megamek using the MekHQ mod. Play all the 3025 you want and slowly upgrade as you go. You aint seen nothing yet until you see the Davion mechs armed with RAC5 cannons mated with targeting computers ripping you to shreds.

The RAC5 has made the Ultra version cannons basically obsolete. Clans get them in like 3085 or some such but theirs is bigger (more crit spaces) and heavier than the inner sphere version.

But I have never messed with the MWO world so I should hush up. And when I am not Merc in my MekHq games, I am Davion all the way. Even if they are getting slaughtered in the 3145 era by the Cappies and the Dracs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:35 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 13300
I got out of the Battletech stuff years ago, so MegaMek hasn't looked all that enticing. Does it even have an AI yet?

With all the good games out there these days, I tend to be a tourist. Passed by MegaMek long ago. Now that a fancy PC game will be coming in the next year or two, after the successful Kickstarter, I'll just wait.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:37 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4274
It has a decent AI for fights and such, Megamek now also has a battle generator and a contract generator for campaigns.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:13 am 
Honorary Texan

Reputation points: 7273
The PC game MechCommander 2 is available free from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=11457

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:39 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 13300
Old Eagle wrote:
The PC game MechCommander 2 is available free from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=11457

I keep forgetting that's out there, for free. Fun little lance-level RTS with mech upgrading & such.

Not sure how well it's gfx and interface stand up these days since it's pretty old now, but worth another go.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:26 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 13965
I love mechs.

It's a shame that MWO is such bullshit. You constantly lose simply because of bad matchmaking and things like stupid uncanon mech designs and imbalance issues and you're left with a sensation that you cannot affect your chances of winning in any way. And that leads to frustration and passivity.

It's not just MWO. Almost all online shooter games are awful and the average players are the worst. Just getting rid of the chat function would improve things a lot, let alone things like being able to influence your chances to win with real decisions. But that is not player vs. player world...

Cooperative games and single player, those are the best.

Myself I try to focus on those genres because I don't really find online PvP amusing or fun to begin with so I don't pretend to understand what makes them 'great' for those that actually play them. Suppose some people just love getting beaten down 80% of the time - having grown into a sensation that you cannot really affect your chances of winning so you just sit there and try to weather the punches as opposed to trying to find a way out. At least they're content that way..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:51 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2077
MWO really shines as a robo-combat-simulator.

PvP is a given since that makes it a FPS, but MWO is also a somewhat serious simulation: There are no health packs/repair icons, no power ups or ammo reloads, your armor and ammo have to last you throughout the fight.

What you view as "stupid uncanon mech designs and imbalance issues" I see as - by now - fairly well-balanced and fun customization. Between the "mech quirks" I mentioned and individual mech geometry, certain mechs and variants lend themselves to certain loadouts and fighting style.

For ex:

CN9-AH(L)
(L) means I got this Mech for free since I spent real money earlier (20 Euros to get more mech bays, slots that allow you to have more Mechs in your stable).
Anyway, it lacks the center torso laser hardpoints all other Centurions have so you have to focus missiles and the cannon on your right arm. Left arm is pure shield, on the Centurion Mech model this is really a small shield that offers limited protection from incoming fire since it has a larger area and the Cent has a "quirk" to give it additional armor points.

CN9-AH
Link to Smurfy mechlab, 3rd party mechbuilder site :)

The cannon arm lacks a lower arm activator (aka elbow joint) so you have no traverse on the AC-10, to aim you rotate your torso sideways. Firing a full burst of SRM and the autocannon then twisting to the right to bring up your shield arm while your weapons cycle is a good idea.

Beyond SRM range, the AC-10 is good for hip shots while you move between cover, but don´t get into trading firefights, you want to get close and use the devastating punch of your triple quick-firing SRM-4 racks, excellent heat management and damage mitigation to wreck the mid-range laser vomiters, lurmboats and Gauss snipers in close combat.

CN9-D

What makes this baby special is the LBX-10. On this Mech, its quirked with better cycle (total of +50% if you add the proper module), reduced pellet spread and increased projectile speed.

CN9-D

ROF on the cannon is sufficient to just hose targets down, the LBX is of limited use versus armored targets, however any sort of large bore rapid-fire AC fire makes sane pilots GTF to cover, you just do not weather the fire unless you know what exactly you can take it and quickly disable the shooter.

By mid-battle, almost everyone will have open sections which are especially vulnerable to LBX fire and ppl will start to try and twist those injured components away from you, giving pointers to where one should aim for even if you don´t have a target lock.
8-)

Since cannon arm on this Centurion is fully articulated, you can swing the LBX to your left, firing under the protection of the fixed shield left arm while moving laterally, which is quite different from the twist-and-bomb style of the CN9-AH.

Learned helplessness?
It´s a PvP robo-combat sim, making the other guy feel helpless while you shoot his Mech to pieces is what´s this is about!
:twisted:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:55 am 
Sergeant

100t King Crab Assault on Forest Colony aka Endor, firing Ultra-AC5s and having taken some battle damage. Couple of maps recently got a pass so you can now shoot/crush smaller trees and vines, IIRC Forest was the first map they implemented this.

A Blackjack 45 tonner in TCAF colours on Canyon Network

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:15 pm 
Sergeant

Cataphract "Ilya Muromets" at point-blank range.

Cicada, Timberwolf and Hellbringer on Alpine Peaks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:46 pm 
Sergeant

https://mwomercs.com/civil-war-update

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next