maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jagged Alliance BIA and Crusader Kings II
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:39 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8266
Old Eagle wrote:
I used to like that feature on the Baldur's Gate games.

http://www.baldursgate.com/

Quote:
What seems to be a teaser website for a new Baldur's Gate game has appeared online, with BioWare veteran Trent Oster apparently behind it. Although it's not yet clear whether it's a remake, a direct sequel, or something else.

You can find the website here, which sports both the series' skull logo and some familiar looking character portraits in the background. You can also hear the main theme playing if you turn on your speakers. Also, the URL is baldursgate.com - so, not the world's most subtle tease.

According to website GameBanshee the company behind all this is Oster's Beamdog, which has so far been involved in only minor projects such as the HD remake of MDK2. According to Oster though the teaser website isn't connected to the already announced re-release of Baldur's Gate on Steam.

'We're not related to the Steam complete edition, I can tell you that much. Other than that, we're hoping to announce something soon,' he told GameBanshee.

The original two Baldur's Gate titles were the games that put BioWare on the map: highly complex Western style role-players set in the Forgotten Realms universe of Dungeons & Dragons. The games featured all of the elements for which BioWare are now famed, including multifaceted characters and lengthy dialogue choices.

2001 expansion pack Baldur's Gate II: Shadows Of Amn was the last entry in the series and nothing has really been heard of it since. BioWare tried to paint Dragon Age as a spiritual successor, but the sequel in particular has very little in common with the old games.

As far as we know Atari still owns the rights to Baldur's Gate, and Dungeons & Dragons in general. Things haven't been going well for them lately though, so whether they could fund a big budget new game we're not sure.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/89170 ... z1nuYth11C

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/89014 ... r-fan-game

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/89054 ... r-campaign

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/667 ... -adventure

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:23 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2577
CK 2 is brilliant. Two gems:

Purging all those ugly red miniicons from your family gene pool might look good on screen and net Piety, but once I accomplished this in the 2nd generation some unknown party must have gotten a very high assassination % chance on my saintly Duke-to-become-King and just kept slaying him with the succession war and the infidel filth taking everything down in flames, I tried slogging through via reloading and placating everyone, to no avail. I never found out who was behind the plot! Being Kind, Just and Humble seems to annoy bad people to no end.
:twisted:

Marrying some superbright ++++stats 16 year old hottie might sound like a great idea at first, unfortunately they tend to breed a whole flock of little runts screaming for handouts, while mommy turns into a bitter bitch trying to kill off your brothers, sisters and bastard children ... and they are good at it, and get better when old age strikes you.
:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:37 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Currently your family relations bonus is approximately plus squat n' shit. All other things being equal, with a +5 family modifier your own children hate you if you're a glutton or anything, really.

Obviously the modifier was lowered to almost nothing in order to make the game more difficult but it just takes me out of it. So I raise the modifier back up to +20 or +30. So your family still likes you unless you piss them off, which is still easy enough to do. Since there's no cooldown on assassination attempts, and everyone hates everyone else plus wants to murder them, it's only mildly noticeable. It's amazing how many NPCs are constantly getting the "assassinate X" plot - I'm constantly asking them to end their kill plots or just plain tossing them in jail left & right even with this adjustment.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:33 pm 
Sergeant

So you trust your Spymaster? Mine keep ousting the most saintly of my subjects with +100 opinion of me as traitors to be executed. Which has nothing to do with the other guy holding a fief the spymaster, surely...

For me, anyone "Deceitful" cannot be trusted, and no one being or turning "Ambitious" will hold a job, except possibly court jester in the oubliette. Joe Stalin would have loved this game 8-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:20 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15050
I've found in CK2 that the rampant plotting is kinda par for the course, but its easily stopped. I just consider it to be normal churn to have to strip an uppity duke of his titles every so often.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:46 pm 
Hair in the soap

To get a quick impression, I'd say that approximately half the games in which I've begun already married.. my wife hated me and would eventually try to kill me. Not to mention there was often at least one child trying to do the same, if I had some.

To say that the CK2 family unit is a tad over-dysfunctional would be calling the rape of Nanking just a few Japanese kids having some harmless fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:24 pm 
Sergeant

Wounded twice by assassins my beloved brother the Duke of Brunswick sent. They caught another guy in the kitchens carrying poison. My firstborn was maimed in another attack, as my hatchet men are ineffective I had to DOW.

When I get hold of brother dear its the oubliette ... or the block!
Dysfunctional? They should use this to teach school kids what to expect :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:38 pm 
Honorary Texan

Reputation points: 7398
Quote:
Joe Stalin would have loved this game 8-)

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:47 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15050
NefariousKoel wrote:
To get a quick impression, I'd say that approximately half the games in which I've begun already married.. my wife hated me and would eventually try to kill me. Not to mention there was often at least one child trying to do the same, if I had some.

You must just be playing scumbags or something. My wife usually is in love with me, relationship +100. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:31 pm 
Hair in the soap

EUBanana wrote:
NefariousKoel wrote:

You must just be playing scumbags or something. My wife usually is in love with me, relationship +100. ;)

I've had quite a few games under my belt, having been at it since the middle of last year. ;) I've also always been a magnet for the complete psychopaths too, so it's not anything new. :P

That random number generator hatin' on me again, at game starts; at least I get to take the 'Kill My Wife' Plot and put that to use regularly.

"Cancel this bitch! I'll be me anutha!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next