All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Re: Jagged Alliance BIA and Crusader Kings II
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:55 am 
Honorary Texan

Reputation points: 7898
Snow Leopard wrote:
The worst part of jA IMHO is the militia. They can't defend anything so you have to constantly retake sectors until you get enough money to hire enough mercs to blanket the map. Apparently some don't have this issue, so maybe I'm missing something. I really like the plan and go mode so I keep playing.

Oh and the enemy accuracy issue is still annoying too. When a baddie drops you with an Uzi from 400 yards is a joke but you learn to work around that. That was a pain in the original too. Luckily the AI isn't too bright.

I got a different feeling when I fired this up, than I did with the demo. This definitely has a lot of the flavor of JA2. As near as I can figure so far, It pretty much follows the storyline of JA2 where the mercs are trying to oust that bloodthirsty bitch. I'll prolly hate defending captured objectives in this one as much as 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:58 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3006
Story is exactly the same as the original, just different mechanics and graphics. They reintroduced the old mechanics in a recent patch but I haven't tried them yet. Happy with plan and go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:47 am 
Honorary Texan

Reputation points: 7898
Snow Leopard wrote:
Story is exactly the same as the original, just different mechanics and graphics. They reintroduced the old mechanics in a recent patch but I haven't tried them yet. Happy with plan and go.

When you say "original" You mean JA2?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:43 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Old Eagle wrote:
Snow Leopard wrote:

When you say "original" You mean JA2?

Wow.. it has a full turn-based combat w/ action points option now?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:26 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3006
Yes ja2, turn based

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:44 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 12603
Old Eagle wrote:
{Snip}
I got a different feeling when I fired this up, than I did with the demo. This definitely has a lot of the flavor of JA2. As near as I can figure so far, It pretty much follows the storyline of JA2 where the mercs are trying to oust that bloodthirsty bitch. I'll prolly hate defending captured objectives in this one as much as 2.
Then try this for JA2 113:
Quote:
http://ja2guides.wikidot.com/mini-mods
Living off the Land

The idea is that your band of 6 IMPs1 is recruited to help out the rebels (not run the whole rebellion) and arrive in country to find everything in shambles. What's left of the rebels don't have the equipment you were promised they were holding for you, the people are completely terrified to fight back (with a handful of exceptions), and you're stuck in country until you take out the queen. You don't have the manpower to hold any sectors and have to sneak around the countryside raiding the towns and outposts for equipment.

General rules:
1) You start out recruiting 6 IMPs and can't recruit from AIM or MERC. You can replace dead IMPs. You can recruit in-country people (like Ira and Dmitri).
2) No using Bobby Ray. You can use Tony and other in-country dealers.
3) No training militia.
4) No getting income from the mines.
5) When you leave a sector destroy everything left behind that you aren't carrying (CTRL + LMB). See below about "safe" sectors to cache equipment.
6) Use drop all for enemy equipment.

For IMPs this team works well: a medic/sniper, a mech (lockpicking and electronics), a heavy weapons guy, and 3 "grunts" (various autoweapons, stealth, night ops, etc.). Everyone gets a minimal rating in everything (see below) because everyone will be helping out.

Playing this way is liberating. You don't spend a lot of time messing with militia and moving equipment around and you don't have to worry much about money. You do spend a lot of time dealing with Tony (trading in guns and getting a bit of cash) and Devin, too. Dodging patrols while trying to make it to a "safe" sector to rest gets really hairy. You can raid a sector by just moving in, taking out a couple of soldiers silently and grabbing their gear, then moving back out without taking out the whole sector. You have to be real careful about accepting locals (like Conrad and Iggy) because of the lack of income.

Be sure to adjust the game progress settings (set income and sector control to 0 and exploring and killing soldiers to 40-60, 50-50, or 60-40). You might want to adjust the IMP settings to allow up to 90 for stats (so you can make a heavy weapons guy with a 90 STR, nothing else above 85) and to allow down to 25. You also might need to up the starting guns and armor a bit; I suggest AUG Paras or perhaps M4s. You can use SciFi but no bugs; they wouldn't matter anyway.

Allow yourself one or two "safe" sectors to store some consumables (ammo, grenades, etc.) and other equipment. Estoni works well though staying there to repair and heal can be dangerous as soldiers commonly move through and thus sometimes discover and confiscate your stored ammo, which is goodness. Actually, getting to Estoni early is key because the stuff Jake carries (med kits, repair kits, armor inserts) is crucial early on and Estoni makes a nice spot to raid in all directions. The sector in San Mona where Tony is at also works well. Don't store tons of equipment, though. The idea is that you have a few things stashed away where the soldiers won't easily find them.

Warning: the final push on Meduna is a real challenge. But remember that you don't have to kill everything, just get through to the palace.

1 Note: In case you didn't know you can create more than one IMP mercenary ("IMP" mercenaries are those that you create by following the instructions in the email you get from, well, IMP). After you create one you can create another (up to 6 total) by re-entering the code (XEP624) into the IMP web page.
I mod it a bit,

Only bring in 4 imps, 1 male (me), 3 females, then grab Ira. Makes a 5 man team until I pick up somebody else.

Their equipped with silenced 9mms, sun goggles, NVGs, 1st aid/med kits, and good armor, plus a tool box or two.

Set arrival time for a nite landing (9:15), only fight at night.

Must conquer every town and visit every sector except don't conquer Meduna.

Might have to pre set 9mm armor piercing ammo, it's scarce. Yuo can get by with out it.

There's a secret tunnel to the evil queen that's not easy, but doable ... have done several times.

Have managed it without losing any troops.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:27 pm 
buck private

Am Jumping into JA2 again, no mods, just the plain JA2 Gold.

Here's a review from a fan:
Quote:
Tuesday, 11 April 2017
Jagged Alliance 2 Retrospective Walkthrough Guide - Part I
Jagged Alliance 2 Retrospective Walkthrough Guide

I n t r o d u c t i o n

Hi there! My name's Lilura - and welcome to my commentary on Jagged Alliance 2 (1999), a turn-based tactical role-playing game developed by Sir-Tech for the PC platform. Yes, the game is non-linear in nature and allows for multiple approaches, but this walkthrough is written linearly in order to gradually reveal the campaign to newbies without flooding them with info and spoilers. And to tell a story: the story of how my band of mercs liberated a country from a dictator!

As with my other walkthoughs this one can double as a retrospective because there will be memories, nostalgia, and praise of virtues and criticism of flaws. But it's hard to find fault with Jagged Alliance 2: I think it's as perfect as this type of game can get. When people ask me what my dream game would be, I answer that it has already been made.

If you don't already, I hope that by reading this series of posts you will come to understand the greatness of Jagged Alliance 2.

(Continued)
https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2017/04/Ja ... art-I.html
Expect I'll be using parts of Living off the Land, we'll see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:19 am 
buck private

abradley wrote:
Am Jumping into JA2 again, no mods, just the plain JA2 Gold.

Here's a review from a fan:
Quote:
Tuesday, 11 April 2017
Jagged Alliance 2 Retrospective Walkthrough Guide - Part I
Jagged Alliance 2 Retrospective Walkthrough Guide

I n t r o d u c t i o n

Hi there! My name's Lilura - and welcome to my commentary on Jagged Alliance 2 (1999), a turn-based tactical role-playing game developed by Sir-Tech for the PC platform. Yes, the game is non-linear in nature and allows for multiple approaches, but this walkthrough is written linearly in order to gradually reveal the campaign to newbies without flooding them with info and spoilers. And to tell a story: the story of how my band of mercs liberated a country from a dictator!

As with my other walkthoughs this one can double as a retrospective because there will be memories, nostalgia, and praise of virtues and criticism of flaws. But it's hard to find fault with Jagged Alliance 2: I think it's as perfect as this type of game can get. When people ask me what my dream game would be, I answer that it has already been made.

If you don't already, I hope that by reading this series of posts you will come to understand the greatness of Jagged Alliance 2.

(Continued)
https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2017/04/Ja ... art-I.html
Expect I'll be using parts of Living off the Land, we'll see.
Tried running it, but crapped out during intro, checked on internet, was told to rename ...\data\intro.slf.

Did it, works fine with win8 comp and admin. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 am 
Corporal

Reputation points: 990
I played the crap out of JA2 back in the day.

The first one, "Deadly Games" was also a hoot. That was a 2 player game, which we played, serial linked.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15095
JABIA is a decent game IF you install a couple mods. One mod that adds a bunch of guns (by "Killatomate") and another mod by a guy named Sbobvyc which fixes the camera.

CK2 was quite imbalanced at launch but got a lot better.

Profile E-mail