maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: New Stalingrad ASL
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:30 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14552
You roll for ammunition availability after you pony up the Campaign Purchase Points (CPP). 70mm costs 1 CPP so it's cheap cheap cheap. By comparison, a Rifle Company costs 5 CPP, a battery of 120mm OBA costs 3 CPP etc. I just rolled poorly. I could have rolled low and picked up "plentiful ammo" but the dice did not turn that way.

It is worth the price even with scarce ammo. 70mm won't do alot of personnel damage because of abundant heavy (stone building or stone rubble) cover. But once it comes down, it pretty much freezes movement and denies a chunk of the map to the Germans for as long as the module stays active. If I start it up on Turn 3 I should be able to use it to plug any breakthroughs that develop on the west side of the factory complex where available cover is more debris and wood rather than stone rubble or stone buildings.

For heavy hitting in heavy cover I still have the 120mm module with Normal ammo. That cost 3 CPP. 150mm artillery costs 5 CPP. Rocket artillery (which you only get for ONE mission) costs 3 CPP but it has terrible accuracy. It's much more useful to the Germans than to the Russians.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Game Friday. 24 October 1942 was a Russian win all around. 25 October was an Idle Day.

My final purchase roster is as follows:

25 Oct: Rifle Co in Reserve, Guards SMG in reserve, Mol Platoon in Reserve, all three available for unrestricted use on the 26th, 80 fortification points, sniper boost.

26 October: Heavy Weapons Co. Dug-in T-70 tank platoon. 1 module 70mm OBA as mentioned before (with scarce ammo), one module 120mm OBA with normal ammo, 120 Fort points, sniper boost.

I fully expect P to bring better focus to his attack this day, identify a piece of the battlefield, and crush it like a tin can (unless the dice completely betray him artillery-wise). Fortunately, I now have enough units on the battlefield that I can defend in depth, with a forward-deployed minimally manned contact line, a main line of resistence set back from that, and operational reserves rearward ready to move forward to prevent major breakthroughs from turning into exploitations.

I know P brings insufficient infantry and heavy weapons going into the 25th but he has decent infantry gun and Pak40 support and two unused modules of offboard artillery. I expect him to provide off-board observers for both OBA modules, and bring in at least two new rifle companies, or else a pioneer company, on the 25th, and boost that with another heavy weapons company (which deploys on-map), and either another rifle company or a buttload of tanks.

The original 17 October OOB included PzIIILs but those were all destroyed, and he brought in StuGIIIGs on the 22nd, but two of the three of those have been destroyed.

Deeper strategy. I want to give him a plum looking target to waste his 150mm on. It cost him 5 CPP and I really want him to burn that shit up on stuff that offers minimal rewards.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

Set up has the Russians spread out and the attacking Germans concentrated at the point of attack. P sets out aggressively attacking southward from the southern foundry hall vicinity of L19 and surrounding hexes and from the Assembly hall. Kill stacks shoot out the equivalent of 3 Russian squads... mostly conscripts. I forward deployed them as a kind of picket line to force P to shoot, but he had som excellent multishot rate tears so he did about twice the usual damage. P also reveals some expensive Pz IVF models vicinity of A30-31 on the east edge so I expect a local infantry assault there with the goal of scooping up the B23-C23 rubbled building, the C28-29 building and the C33 building.

There is little chance of denying him a terrain win this day but I think I can extract a price in casualties.

Russian 120mm offboard artillery drops a spotting round in H21 and there is a dense concentration of Germans in the area so that may stop P for a bunch of turns after I correct fire to the edge of the southern foundry hall. Russian 70mm OBA lands offboard near the tanks, which means Mandatory Correction (no FFE) for that module during Russian Prep Fire turn 1. That is ok. Dont need it until Russian Defensive Fire during German Turn 2. If he brings on infantry in open ground to support those tanks, 70 mm will messthem up quite well because OPEN GROUND no cover in the area.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Game Friday, begining Russian Turn 1, in which the Russians will attempt to put spotting rounds in places that can deliver a beating on the Russians, and in which the Russians will attempt to ko a PzIVF.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11