TV, Movies, videos, youtube

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti, reinald

Forum rules
Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam
Mac
First Sergeant

No One Here Gets Out Alive- 2020

#1 Post by Mac » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:11 am

Mirrorshades, leather trenchcoats and nerual implants edition.

Book_image_2020v2.01.jpg
Book_image_2020v2.01.jpg (58.38 KiB) Viewed 131 times
Some who are tipped for a visit from the Reaper this year, Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh, Kirk Douglas, Olivia De Havilland, Vera Lynn, Dick van Dyke, Angela Lansbury, Jimmy Carter and Honor Blackman.
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

Re: No One Here Gets Out Alive- 2020

#2 Post by EUBanana » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:49 am

I loved CP2020.

We're living in the future!
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#3 Post by Anthropoid » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:40 pm

Some of us are from the future.

Mac
First Sergeant

#4 Post by Mac » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:30 pm

Roger Scruton, regarded as "the greastest conservative of our age" has died aged 75...
Conservative philosopher and author Sir Roger Scruton has died at 75 after a battle with cancer.

The author of more than 50 books on aesthetics, morality and politics, he was also a government advisor. Supporters hailed him as "the greatest conservative of our age".

A statement on his website said he had been fighting cancer for six months and "died peacefully" on Sunday.

"His family are hugely proud of him and of all his achievements," it said.

Sir Roger was at the centre of controversy last year when he was dismissed from, then reinstated to, an unpaid role as a government housing advisor after criticism of his comments about China and Muslim immigrants.

After he was restored to the role when supporters said his remarks had been misrepresented, he said there was a "witch-hunt" against right-wing figures, aiming to characterise them as racist or fascist.

Former Conservative MEP Daniel Hannan said Sir Roger was the "greatest conservative of our age".

"The country has lost a towering intellect. I have lost a wonderful friend," he said.

Historian Timothy Garton Ash said he was "a man of extraordinary intellect, learning and humour, a great supporter of central European dissidents, and the kind of provocative - sometimes outrageous - conservative thinker that a truly liberal society should be glad to have challenging it".

Born in February 1944, Sir Roger attended grammar school before studying at Cambridge.

He told the Guardian that he became a Conservative when visiting Paris during the 1968 student protests, which he saw as an "unruly mob of self-indulgent middle-class hooligans" professing "ludicrous Marxist gobbledegook".

"I knew I wanted to conserve things rather than pull them down," he said.

In 1971, he began teaching philosophy at Birkbeck College, but claimed his career was held back in the "heart of the left establishment".

Three years later he became a founding member of the Conservative Philosophy Group, which was intended to provide an intellectual basis for the Conservative Party to regain power.

Newly elected Tory leader Margaret Thatcher attended the group.

In 1982, Sir Roger became founding editor of the Salisbury Review, a journal championing conservatism.

He also began visiting dissidents in Communist Czechoslovakia, smuggling in books, offering courses in suppressed subjects and supporting banned artists. In 1985 he was detained in Brno before being expelled from the country.

After the fall of Communism, Vaclav Havel, the dissident-turned-president, awarded Sir Roger the Medal of Merit.

In the 1990s, he bought a farm in Wiltshire - nicknamed Scrutopia - and celebrated his passion for fox hunting in a book, On Hunting.

Another book, An Intelligent Person's Guide to Pop Culture, led to him being successfully sued by the Pet Shop Boys after he falsely claimed their songs were mostly the work of sound engineers.

In 2002, he was criticised for writing articles in defence of smoking without acknowledging that he was being paid by JTI, one of the largest tobacco companies.

Hungary's right-wing prime minister, Viktor Orban, presented Sir Roger with the Order of Merit in December last year, describing him as an "ardent and active ally" of anti-communism in central and eastern Europe.

Mr Orban, said Sir Roger was "forward-looking enough to see the threat of illegal migration and defend Hungary against its unjust critics".

Sir Roger leaves his wife, Sophie, and two children, Sam and Lucy,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51084248
What a waste...

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

#5 Post by EUBanana » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:12 am

The lefties are dancing on Scrutons grave right now.

Kinder, gentler politics.
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#6 Post by Anthropoid » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:57 am

. . . he became a Conservative when visiting Paris during the 1968 student protests, which he saw as an "unruly mob of self-indulgent middle-class hooligans" professing "ludicrous Marxist gobbledegook".

"I knew I wanted to conserve things rather than pull them down," he said.
Need to read some of his books.

Mac
First Sergeant

#7 Post by Mac » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:07 pm

Stan Kirsch dies aged 51. I remember his appearance in Friends and watched him a few times in the Highlander tv show. Young age to go.
Actor Stan Kirsch, best known for roles in the Highlander TV series and sitcom Friends, has died at the age of 51.

The star played Richie Ryan in the fantasy sci-fi adventure show, a spin-off from the 1986 film.

In 1995, Kirsch made a memorable cameo in Friends in an episode titled The One with the Ick Factor.

He played Ethan, a young man dating Courteney Cox's character Monica, who lied about his age because he was a senior high school student.

A message on the Stan Kirsch Studios Facebook page read: "We tragically lost our beloved Stan Kirsch on January 11th."

His widow Kristyn Green added: "I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of love and support."

After appearing as a child actor, Kirsch took up what would become his signature role on the Highlander TV spin-off in 1992, portraying the teenage Ryan - a streetwise and quick-witted petty thief.

The show's official Facebook page also paid tribute, noting his importance to the series and how he "even changed himself physically" to reflect how the character would have had to have survived in the world of "the immortals".

"Without Stan Kirsch, Highlander: The Series would have been far less," they said. "He brought a sense of humour, kindness and youthful enthusiasm to the character of Richie Ryan for six seasons."

Kirsch's final acting role, voicing several characters in the animated series Invincible, came in 2009.

He made his debut as director and producer in 2004 with the film Straight Eye: The Movie. He went on to found his Los Angeles-based studio and acting school with Green in 2008, helping other actors into screen and stage roles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51118165
What a waste...

Mac
First Sergeant

#8 Post by Mac » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:29 pm

Christopher Tolkien, the son of J.R.R Tolkien and Lord of the Rings collaborator has died aged 95...
The son of The Lord Of The Rings creator J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher, has died at the age of 95. As the third son of the author, Christopher, born in November 1924, continued the work of his father after J.R.R.’s death in 1973, editing his books that were released posthumously. The Tolkien Society confirmed Christopher’s passing today, as they said in a statement: ‘Christopher Tolkien has died at the age of 95. ‘The Tolkien Society sends its deepest condolences to Baillie, Simon, Adam, Rachel and the whole Tolkien family.’ His cause of death is not publicly known, however French publication Var Martin reported Christopher, who lived in France, had been admitted to Center Hospitalier de la Dracénie for ‘health problems’. Adding his creative expertise, Christopher drew the famous original Lord of the Rings maps of Middle-earth which decorated the books released in the 1950s after the success of the prequel, The Hobbit.

He signed off his artwork ‘C. J. R. T.’ – going by his full name, Christopher John Reuel Tolkien – and was behind the re-drawing the main map in the late 1970s to clarify the lettering and correct some errors and omissions.

J.R.R. once referred to his son as his ‘chief critic and collaborator’, and named him his literary executor in his will. Following his father’s death, Christopher organised his unpublished writings, often handwritten on scraps of paper, and in the years that followed he was able to produce an edition of The Silmarillion for publication in 1977. That was followed by Unfinished Tales in 1980 and The History of Middle-earth in 12 volumes between 1983 and 1996. In April 2007, Christopher published The Children of Húrin, one of J.R.R.’s earliest stories, dating back to 1918.

Beren and Lúthien is an editorial work and was published as a stand-alone book in 2017 while The Fall of Gondolin followed the year after – these three make up the Great Tales of the Elder Days which J.R.R. considered to be the biggest stories of the First Age. Even though the film adaptations of his father’s books were a great success, critically and at the box office, Christopher voiced his doubts over Peter Jackson’s The Lord Of The Rings film trilogy, questioning its viability on the big screen and its ability to retain the essence of J.R.R.’s work.

In a 2012 interview with Le Monde, he said: ‘They gutted the book, making an action film for 15 to 25-year-olds.’ He added: ‘This level of marketing reduces to nothing the aesthetic and philosophical significance of this work.’ Christopher has three children, two with his second wife Baillie, who edited J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Father Christmas Letters, Adam and Rachel. He also has a son from his first marriage, Simon.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/16/lord-rin ... -12071132/
What a waste...

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major

#9 Post by Anthropoid » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:51 pm

The world has changed.

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

#10 Post by EUBanana » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:50 am

Anthropoid wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:51 pm
The world has changed.
Question is - for the better?