It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: The Irishman
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:46 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Scorsese directed Netflix flick about Hoffa and the mob. It's pretty fucking good even though DeNiro is way too old for the role. They try to make him look younger but he ends up looking like Charlie Chan. :lol:

Pacino doesn't look a thing like Hoffa either but it doesn't matter because the writing and acting is so good.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Irishman
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:58 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18812
Is this a reference to the movie?
I said, no moah eatin legos Biwwy. Maybe you didn heah abouh it, you've been stuck in da laundwy machine a long time, dey didn go up deah and tell ya.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:10 pm 
Sergeant Major

I got about 30 mins in. When Robert Deniro "beat the shit" out of the shopkeep I roared laughing. Even w/ his cgi, youngster face on, he's still obviouslya feeble old man. That was the most pathetic ass kicking I ever seen. When the guy doing the ass kicking grimaces in pain b/c he just pulled a muscle trying to lift his leg... ROFL

Deniro, the tough guy who's going to punch out president Trump. Reminds me of another scorcese classic:

I'll watch the rest of it eventually. I like pesci an michael corleone. It's prolly not that bad a movie really. That ass kicking scene was humor gold, but I like these types of movies to be more serious like "Godfather" (which is a copala movie not scorsece)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Compared to Godfather (copola), Scorsece makes "masters of the universe" type movies. Too much flamboyant characters acting completely unrealistically. Not enough serious, deep content.

I liked Good Fellas too, but it wasn't depth, it was a comedy. For real depth: Godfather has never been even close to matched (except for Godfather 2 which is arguably almost just as good). "The Irishman" is a Netflix release. So it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:47 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4893
C_S wrote:
I got about 30 mins in. When Robert Deniro "beat the shit" out of the shopkeep I roared laughing. Even w/ his cgi, youngster face on, he's still obviouslya feeble old man. That was the most pathetic ass kicking I ever seen. When the guy doing the ass kicking grimaces in pain b/c he just pulled a muscle trying to lift his leg... ROFL

Yeah, I felt the same way. It was downright comical.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:50 pm 
Staff Sergeant

C_S wrote:
Compared to Godfather (copola), Scorsece makes "masters of the universe" type movies. Too much flamboyant characters acting completely unrealistically. Not enough serious, deep content.

I liked Good Fellas too, but it wasn't depth, it was a comedy. For real depth: Godfather has never been even close to matched (except for Godfather 2 which is arguably almost just as good). "The Irishman" is a Netflix release. So it goes.

The closest I've seen a mob movie come to the Godfather (1 or 2) was Once Upon a Time in America. By another legendary director, Sergio Leone. It has the same serious tone but maybe not quite the tight plot. Still, much better than either Good Fellas or The Irishman, IMO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:13 pm 
First Sergeant

I think Goodfellas is a better mafia movie than the Godfather movies because it is so much more realistic, and that is not to say the Godfather movies are bad in anyway, 1 and 2 are great and the cinematography is amazing, Goodfellas is just so much more authentic.

Both movies are based on books, Godfather on the novel by Mario Puzo with the Corleone family being based on characters in the Russian novel The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. On the other hand Goodfellas is based on the non-fiction book Wiseguys by crime reporter Nicholas Pilegg (who co-wore the screenplay with Scorsese) and tells the real life story of Henry Hill, a guy who grew up in the ranks of the mafia starting at the age of 11 in 1955.

And therein lies the rub, Goodfellas is a fictional stylised version of the mafia, men of tradition and honor and family values, where Goodfellas paints the more authentic picture of who these people are, brutal thugs who mantain power out of fear. All the characters in Goodfellas are based on real people and many of the events in the movie really happend, such as the Lufthansa heist and the murder of Billy Batts and Tommys subsequent whacking for it. Henry Hill said that being around these psychos made him fear for his life everyday.

And if you don't like that then you can go home and get your fucking shine box. :P

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:34 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Mac wrote:
I think Goodfellas is a better mafia movie than the Godfather movies because it is so much more realistic, and that is not to say the Godfather movies are bad in anyway, 1 and 2 are great and the cinematography is amazing, Goodfellas is just so much more authentic.

Both movies are based on books, Godfather on the novel by Mario Puzo with the Corleone family being based on characters in the Russian novel The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. On the other hand Goodfellas is based on the non-fiction book Wiseguys by crime reporter Nicholas Pilegg (who co-wore the screenplay with Scorsese) and tells the real life story of Henry Hill, a guy who grew up in the ranks of the mafia starting at the age of 11 in 1955.

And therein lies the rub, Goodfellas is a fictional stylised version of the mafia, men of tradition and honor and family values, where Goodfellas paints the more authentic picture of who these people are, brutal thugs who mantain power out of fear. All the characters in Goodfellas are based on real people and many of the events in the movie really happend, such as the Lufthansa heist and the murder of Billy Batts and Tommys subsequent whacking for it. Henry Hill said that being around these psychos made him fear for his life everyday.

And if you don't like that then you can go home and get your fucking shine box. :P

I agree. Goodfellas and The Irishman are both gritty, realistic, historic mob stories where the realism is based in the character's behavior. Its a demystification of the mob world.

Godfather I, II and Once Upon a Time in America are entirely different. They are cinematic masterpieces where the filmmaking, directing and acting are more important than realism.

One thing interesting about all of these movies is they all have De Niro. And some have Pacino. And in some ways, these movies chronicle the slow decline of both actors.

One thing I learned from the Irishman:
If someone tells you he's a little concerned, it means he's really concerned.
If he says he's more than a little concerned, he's panicking.
And if he says there is concern all around, things are about to get real ugly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:07 am 
Sergeant Major

First of all: The movie doesn't compare w/ Godfather or Goodfellas. Not even remotely close. Those movies were interesting, this one is a dream catcher..

I've sat down w/ fat A5 jibs to watch it 3 times now, so I've been in 'the mood' to watch a good movie.. First attempt I was quits about 30 mins in when Deniro made the most pathetic ass kicking scene ever.

But I persevered despite the warnings of a snoozefest. Continued from there determined to watch the entire thing. Since then I've dozed off twice trying to finish it. There's still 40 mins left.

Apparently this theatrical mess is an example of dramatic brilliance, and I'm just too dumb to appreciate how good it is. I guess. Shrug. Hard to appreciate much when I keep losing consciousness and slapping myself trying to stay awake fru the danged thing.

I think it sucks. 2 thumbs way down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:18 am 
Sergeant Major

There is a method:

I judge "good pot" if I can't finish a joint of it, and have to set it down to cool off til tomorrow.

I judge "good movie" if I watch the whole thing w/o losing consciousness.

I smoked a half joint of A5 then fell asleep watching this movie.

Thats 2 scientific thumbs down.

Profile E-mail