It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: My Friend Dahmer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:48 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
My Friend Dahmer is a 2012 Graphic Novel by artist John "Derf" Backderf, and recounts his teenage friendship with the serial killer Jeffery Dahmer at Revere High School, Ohio.

Backderf presents an empathetic portrait of Dahmer as a lonely young man tormented by inner demons, picked on by bullies and neglected by the adults in his life.The book recalls Dahmer's isolation, his binge drinking, his bizarre behavior to get attention (Dahmer would fake epileptic seizures and pretend to have cerebral palsy), and his disturbing fascination with roadkill.

Backderf and some friends formed the "Dahmer Fan Club" and would get him to act out at school and at the local mall by spazzing out, and in one particular prank posing for Yearbook photos with groups and clubs he had no part in.

Backderf creates a surprisingly sympathetic portrait of Dahmer without trying to glorify him at any point, but rather giving the back story to a monster in waiting.

The dedication to accuracy is impressive with extensive notes at the back of the graphic novel detailing where the information came from – which interview, which newspaper, or whether it was simply from his own recollections.

Available to read here...

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/My-Fri ... l?id=56176

The book was turned into a movie in 2017 and can be watched for free on YouTube (as long as you are not put off by the Spainish subtitles.)

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: My Friend Dahmer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:52 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
Yikes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:35 pm 
First Sergeant

Anthropoid wrote:
Yikes.

It's not particularly gory and doesn't detail the murders, in fact the book ends with Dahmer meeting the hitchiker who would become his first victim. The public perception of Dahmer has always been as an evil monster, and given what he did it is a label that fits, but when you see how he was a lonely and broken young man it is rather sad and tragic, and does make you wonder how things would have turned out if he had had an adult to reach out to him at that time.

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
Mac wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
Yikes.

It's not particularly gory and doesn't detail the murders, in fact the book ends with Dahmer meeting the hitchiker who would become his first victim. The public perception of Dahmer has always been as an evil monster, and given what he did it is a label that fits, but when you see how he was a lonely and broken young man it is rather sad and tragic, and does make you wonder how things would have turned out if he had had an adult to reach out to him at that time.

Absolutely. One has to wonder about lots of these "bad seeds" really . . .

I mean clearly the guy was defective in the common sense and rationality department, and no amount of nurturing is likely to have fixed that. But maybe he could've been groomed into more of an 'avant-garde' artists instead of an reactionary genocidal supremacist . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:46 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 682
Anthropoid wrote:
Absolutely. One has to wonder about lots of these "bad seeds" really . . .

I mean clearly the guy was defective in the common sense and rationality department, and no amount of nurturing is likely to have fixed that. But maybe he could've been groomed into more of an 'avant-garde' artists instead of an reactionary genocidal supremacist . . .

Absolutely you don't understand anything. Hitler was the MGGA man, and you the MAGA man. The same rhetoric, assuming you understand what Hitler spoke, and similar rallies, though Hitler had bigger ... hands. :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:22 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6294
Mac wrote:
My Friend Dahmer is a 2012 Graphic Novel by artist John "Derf" Backderf, and recounts his teenage friendship with the serial killer Jeffery Dahmer at Revere High School, Ohio.

Just read the comic. Was not gonna' spend time on that but got sucked in. Didn't really know anything about Dahmer before reading it. Well done by Backderf IMO. Gotta' be massively weird later in life
having (sort of) known someone like Dahmer...

That prank - with sneaking Dahmer into school photos where he wasn't supposed to be - well...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:13 pm 
First Sergeant

wulfir wrote:
That prank - with sneaking Dahmer into school photos where he wasn't supposed to be - well...

What a waste...

Profile E-mail