Post subject: EVIL (new series on CBS)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000

https://www.hollywoodintoto.com/evil-ro ... interview/

Quote:
HOW CBS’S ‘EVIL’ RIGHTS A SPIRITUAL TV WRONG

BY CHRISTIAN TOTO

Michelle and Robert King create a CBS series that treats faith with respect and curiosity.

Robert King is tired of the TV formula when it comes to priests in procedural dramas.

They’re eventually revealed to be far from saintly, and that’s being kind. It’s one reason he re-teamed with his favorite producing partner, wife Michelle King, to create CBS’s “Evil.”

The new series, debuting at 10 p.m. EST Sept. 26, follows a psychologist (Katja Herbers) reluctantly pairing with a priest-in-training (Mike Colter) to tackle unexplained mysteries. Former “Daily Show” contributor Aasif Mandvi rounds out the cast as a carpenter helping the duo out.

The show’s pilot episode finds them investigating a serial killer who may be influenced by demonic forces or a deeply disturbed mind. Future episodes will tap into a treasure trove of unsolved cases involving alleged miracles, hauntings and more.

It’s part horror, part cop saga, a unique blend at a time when Hollywood falls back on reboots and re-imaginings.

“It’s basically examining the chemistry between someone who’s devout and someone who’s not, that mirrors Michelle and mine’s relationship,” Robert King says. He is a man of faith, while Michelle King considers herself an agnostic. “It’s like a pinata of ideas … break it open and lots of [other] ideas come out.”

That stark difference matters to the Kings, particularly given our divisive times. The show’s leads may view the world differently, but they respect each other’s points of view.

“They can express to each other and just listen to each other … there’s a lot of angry conversation in the world,” Michelle King says.

At the center of their new show is the complicated nature of evil with a lower-case “E,” a subject that continues to fascinate us.

“I was surprised how much people talk about evil these day as opposed to 10 years ago … even secular people,” Michelle King says.

Working together comes naturally to the Kings. They’ve been married for more than 30 years, and they’re currently tag-teaming on the CBS All Access drama “The Good Fight,” the follow-up to their long running smash “The Good Wife.” “Evil” marks a new, more personal way for them to collaborate.
Their professional partnership makes sense in more ways than one.

“Being a show runner is a two-person business,” Robert King says, adding its like having a “shared brain” who helps make the critical decisions one person doesn’t have time to complete.

Completing the family affair? Their daughter helps name some of their shows’ characters.

“We just made it as if it were a normal part of growing up,” he says. It’s the couples brand of “normal,” and there’s little new about it, Michelle King explains.

“At this point I can’t begin to imagine doing it any other way … it would be impossible,” she says.

Interesting premise....part X-Files (without the aliens) along with a dose of Christianity/Roman Catholic Church tossed in.

The first episode is tomorrow night.....worth an hour of my time to see if it's any good.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: EVIL (new series on CBS)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
I actually was gonna start a thread on a couple of digital entertainment offerings I recently encountered, both on Amazon Prime Video, which is, it seems, actually not as bad as Netflix. If I could convince my wife to cancel the Netflix I would; that place is chock full of tripe. Amazon isn't exactly a compendium of the world's greatest classics and titles that appeal to a middle-aged toxically-masculine wargamer crowd but there is SOME stuff that comes close.

So two comments, I'd almost go so far as to call them "recommendations" but not really.

1. The Man in the High Castle. I'm sure several of you have already watched most of this (or read the book(s)?). I was a pretty big Philip K. Dick fan but somehow skipped this one. Pretty neat concept though also extremely unrealistic. Even if the Nazis DID get the bomb first, they'd literally have to nuke just about every other town to actually subdue the U.S. They could establish a foothood along the East coast I suppose the interior hinterlands would be like going back in time to a Leather Stocking Tales era with while tomahawk wielding maniac redneck insurgents wiping out convoys and launching decayed Obergruppenfuhrer heads packed with ebola into city centers by trebuchet . . . Seriously. I have little doubt that the United States is LITERALLY unconquerable and the fact Dick did not get this point makes the whole thing pretty hard to swallow. But, if you just set that aside, it is passable.

Main things is: that protagonist chick "Juliana Crane" played by (I had to look this up) Alexa Davalos . . . oh la fucking LA!

Here male counterparts are wimpy little metrosexual twits who could be crushed like a coke can and you can tell she is really longing for a strong male lead, maybe an older man with a world of experience . . . :mrgreen:

Anyway, not bad. Bit too much use of deus ex and pretty repetitive with some of the tension-mechanisms (pretty Juliana being stalked by crazed maniacs or being sexually harassed by creepy Japanese ministers, etc.), but a good way to pass a few hours if you are desperate for some down time.

2. Fleabag. The lead actress reminds me of a prettier version of a chick I dated briefly, but a LOT less uptight. Very tall lithe British brunette

Probably too short for her, but I could teach her a few things I bet :D

I found it pretty fucking funny. The comedy strikes me as: if people who don't really adhere to SJW wanted to make comedy that didn't blatantly infringe SJW dogma, while also pushing some boundaries. Something you can watch with the wife and not be completely bored or cringed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: EVIL (new series on CBS)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:39 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
I watched the first episode of Evil last night.

Verdict?
I am looking forward to episode 2.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail