It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: The Sandman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:04 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
The Sandman is a 75 issue comic book by Neil Gaiman that ran from 1989 until 1996. It landed on the New York Times Bestseller List, and is still widely regarded as one of the greatest works ever published in the medium with Norman Mailer describing the series as "a comic strip for intellectuals.

It focuses on Dream, the titluar Sandman, who is a member of a somewhat dysfunctional family of seven siblings known as The Endless.

The Endless embody powerful forces or aspects of the universe and have existed since the dawn of time. From oldest to youngest they are -

Destiny: The oldest of the Endless, Destiny appears as a blind man dressed in grey or brown robes (purple in earlier comics), carrying a large book, the Cosmic Log. The book is chained to him, or he is chained to the book, and within the book is written the entire sum of existence, past, present and future. Destiny seems the most possessed by his function and responsibilities of any of the Endless. He rarely demonstrates much personality. His sigil is his book.

Death: Death appears as a cheerful, level-headed young Goth woman. She wears a silver ankh (representing the afterlife), which serves as her sigil. She has a marking similar to an Eye of Horus around her right eye. She prefers to dress and act casually, and is on better terms with Dream than any of the other Endless. She spends one day out of every century as a mortal, living and dying on Earth, so that she can appreciate the lives she has to take, She is by far the most pleasant of The Endless, being kind and personable to almost everyone; encountering her upon dying feels like "meeting an old friend".

Dream: Portrayed as both lord and personification of all dreams, nightmares and fictional stories. Dream's usual appearance is as a tall, pale man with wild dark blue-black hair. He dresses in a shapeless cloak of "night" with "flames dancing in its folds". His eyes are pools of shadows with glimmers of light within. He is known by many names, most commonly "Morpheus". He has a long history of insensitivity towards others, and throughout The Sandman, he must come to deal with his past cruelties. He is very concerned with fulfilling his responsibilities. His sigil is his dream-helm, made from the spine and skull of a long-dead god.

Destruction: A very large, robust man with red hair, who sometimes appears bearded and sometimes shaven. Destruction abandoned his responsibilities as one of the Endless three hundred years ago, causing much conflict between him and his siblings. Since abandoning his realm, the other Endless usually refer to him as "the Prodigal" or "Brother" rather than "Destruction". He has a passion for creative and constructive endeavors, but little talent. His sigil is a sword.

Desire: Desire is androgynous, capable of appearing as a man, a woman, neither, or possibly both. Desire has a cruel streak and a long-standing rivalry with Dream. Its sigil is a silver-tinted glass heart shape and it lives in a huge flesh and blood statue of itself called the Threshold. Although Desire is Despair's twin, in a sense it is older than Despair. The current incarnation of Desire is the original one, while Despair is currently in her second incarnation.

Despair: Desire's twin. A short, obese woman with greyish skin and irregularly-shaped teeth. She is always naked. Despair has a cold, quietly intelligent manner. She has a habit of carving her flesh with a hooked ring that she wears, which is also her sigil.

Delirium: The youngest of the Endless, Delirium appears as a young girl whose form changes the most frequently of any of the Endless, based on the random fluctuations of her temperament. She has wild multicolored hair and eccentric, mismatched clothes. Her only permanent physical characteristic is that one of her eyes is emerald green (usually the right side) and the other pale blue with silver flecks (usually the left side), but even those sometimes switch between left and right. Her sigil is an abstract, shapeless blob of colors. She was once known as Delight, but some traumatic event (of which even Destiny does not know the particulars) caused her to change into her current role. Her sigil as Delight was a flower.

Gaiman has admitted that the first few issues were awkward as he was not used to writing a full time series and it starts out as a traditional horror story, with Dream captured and imprisoned by a group of black magic occultists in 1916 and finally managing to escape in 1988. Dream then spends the remaining issues trying to regain control of his realm of the Dreaming and the powers he once possessed.

However the story then evolves into a story about the beauty of story-telling and it is marvelously done. The Sandman leaps around in space and time, following Dream as he travels around fulfilling his job: overseeing and influencing the dreaming, storytelling, and inspiration for every living being in the universe.

A mulitude of characters from myth and history make an appearance throughout the series including, Lucifer Morningstar, Caine and Abel, Eve, Lilith, Bast, Odin, Thor, Loki, Baba Yaga, Marco Polo, William Shakespeare, Maximilien Robespierre, Geoffrey Chaucer and Mark Twain amongst others.

You can read it here for free...

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Sa ... 1?id=14226

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Sandman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
"Death" is a "cheerful, level-headed young Goth woman," preferably of the r/bigtiddygothgf variety . . . would be a great surprise in place of an animated skeleton draped in tattered rags and carrying a big ass scythe . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:11 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

Anthropoid wrote:
"Death" is a "cheerful, level-headed young Goth woman," preferably of the r/bigtiddygothgf variety . . . would be a great surprise in place of an animated skeleton draped in tattered rags and carrying a big ass scythe . . .

Death was one of the breakout characters of the series and got a couple of short spin offs

Death: The High Cost of Living...

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Death- ... 1?id=94831

Death: The Time of Your Life...

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Death- ... ?id=108772

She is also quite a popular character to cosplay.

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:47 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

The Sandman has been green lit by Netflix for a tv series...

Quote:
After multiple failed attempts to make a screen adaptation, Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman comic book series has been acquired by Netflix, in what is being reported as a “massive” deal with Warner Bros.

The news comes 30 years after Gaiman published the first comic in the series, in which the Dream King Morpheus wakes up from 70 years of captivity at the hands of a mortal. The series ran for 75 issues, and has often been described as unfilmable, with previous attempts to adapt it foundering. The most recent was in 2016, when actor and fan Joseph Gordon-Levitt acquired the rights and was due to direct a film adaptation in which he also played Morpheus – but left the project due to “creative differences” with studio New Line.

Now 11 episodes have been ordered by Netflix, which described the series as “a rich blend of modern myth and dark fantasy in which contemporary fiction, historical drama and legend are seamlessly interwoven”.

Gaiman will write the first episode with showrunner Allan Heinberg and David S Goyer. The author, who is fresh from adapting the novel he wrote with Terry Pratchett, Good Omens, said the first series would only cover Preludes and Nocturnes – the first eight comics in the Sandman series.

“I’m hoping we can make something on television that feels as personal and true as the best of the Sandman comics did. Just set 30 years later than Sandman the comic,” Gaiman wrote on Twitter. He said he would be less involved than he had been with Good Omens, where he was showrunner for the Amazon Prime series, but “much more” involved than he has been with the Starz adaptation of his novel American Gods, for which he was an executive producer.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, sources have described the deal between Netflix and Sandman’s owner Warner Bros as “massive” and “the most expensive TV series that [division] DC Entertainment has ever done”.

“We’re thrilled to partner with the brilliant team that is Neil Gaiman, David S Goyer and Allan Heinberg to finally bring Neil’s iconic comic book series, The Sandman, to life on screen,” said Netflix’s Channing Dungey. “From its rich characters and storylines to its intricately built-out worlds, we’re excited to create an epic original series that dives deep into this multi-layered universe beloved by fans.”

Moving between the dawn of time to the eve of the new millennium in London and the Renaissance, the Sandman follows Morpheus as he gets to grips with the changes that have taken place in the world as he lay captive. It also tells the stories of his six siblings, the Endless, who include Death, Destiny and Desire.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... by-netflix

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Sounds good. Hopefully this is a sign that Netflix are stepping back from the SJW tripe. If I manage to find something that doesn't send up red flags immediately and I deem worth watching on Netflix it takes me 30+ minutes at least. And then half the time I wind up turning it off after 5 minutes. It appears that the SJW tropes have become so disgustingly normalized they are just like "one of the standard themes" that a screen writer might pick off the shelf along with the time-honored ones, many of which address the putative "social justice" goals of SJW tripe without preaching like a cross-eyed Sunday School Teacher.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:49 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Anthropoid wrote:
Sounds good. Hopefully this is a sign that Netflix are stepping back from the SJW tripe.

There was a minor tranny character called Wanda who appears in a few of the stories. In the story "A Game of You", Wanda is living in an apartment with 4 other women, one who is a centuries old witch named Thessaly.

When one of their friends is trapped in a dream realm by an entity called The Cuckoo, Thessaly preforms a ritual using menstural blood to "draw down the Moon". The Moon Goddess grants them the ability to travel to the dream realm to attempt to rescue their friend, however Wanda has to stay behind because he has a dick and balls and isn't really a woman.

Years later when the sjw brigade got active on tumblr and Twitter, Gaiman got called out as a transphobe.

Attachment:
tumblr_inline_pia92rePSH1qec1pk_400.png
tumblr_inline_pia92rePSH1qec1pk_400.png [ 213.18 KiB | Viewed 30 times ]

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

Mac wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
Sounds good. Hopefully this is a sign that Netflix are stepping back from the SJW tripe.

There was a minor tranny character called Wanda who appears in a few of the stories. In the story "A Game of You", Wanda is living in an apartment with 4 other women, one who is a centuries old witch named Thessaly.

When one of their friends is trapped in a dream realm by an entity called The Cuckoo, Thessaly preforms a ritual using menstural blood to "draw down the Moon". The Moon Goddess grants them the ability to travel to the dream realm to attempt to rescue their friend, however Wanda has to stay behind because he has a dick and balls and isn't really a woman.

Years later when the sjw brigade got active on tumblr and Twitter, Gaiman got called out as a transphobe.

Attachment:
tumblr_inline_pia92rePSH1qec1pk_400.png

had to stay behind because of the dick and balls . . . :P See! That is SJW friendly: deny the male's basic rights to ethereal travel!

Profile E-mail