maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Boys
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:42 pm 
Online
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 14704
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 18312
wulfir wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
....problem!?


Feel no need to go over the hill with the swords of a thousand men, eh...? :P


Not while reading a goof ball cartoon on the internet, no.

The question remains though: what is your problem?

I'm aware that this is your new mode of operation but just to be clear, you aren't really hooking or engaging any targets, just swinging and missing.

When you cannot actually defend your point of view, passive-aggressive evasiveness is pretty much all you have left . . .

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boys
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:04 am 
Offline
Gunnery Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:16 am
Posts: 7445
Location: The Cockney Paradise
Reputation points: 20000
wulfir wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
....problem!?


Feel no need to go over the hill with the swords of a thousand men, eh...? :P

I see what you did there... :lol:

_________________
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boys
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:34 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:41 pm
Posts: 4228
Reputation points: 6044
Mac wrote:


I see what you did there... :lol:


Anthro didn't though.... ;)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boys
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:17 am 
Offline
Gunnery Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:16 am
Posts: 7445
Location: The Cockney Paradise
Reputation points: 20000
Maybe he just hasn't read up to vol. 11 yet. ;)


_________________
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boys
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:13 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:41 pm
Posts: 4228
Reputation points: 6044
Mac wrote:
Maybe he just hasn't read up to vol. 11 yet. ;)


Probably not - don't think he ever will either. He dosen't read up on anything, needs to be spoonfed all the time... :lol:


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boys
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:45 pm 
Online
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 14704
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 18312
Here ya go boi

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boys
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:18 pm 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 19676
Reputation points: 19776
The Boys is a pretty good series. Despite a few blatant social virtue-signaling scenes so typical of modern Hollywood being awkwardly dropped into places.

Despite those, most of it was great. Nice getaway from the superhero hangover I have. Great ending for the season, too.

The acting's great. Especially by the guy who plays 'Homelander' and, of course, Karl Urban. Karl Urban man-crush further confirmed (please more Urban Dredd!). :twisted:


Recommend! Bear through the brief stereotypes-of-stereotypes scenes to get to the good stuff sprinkled throughout, and especially the end.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boys
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:26 pm 
Offline
Gunnery Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:16 am
Posts: 7445
Location: The Cockney Paradise
Reputation points: 20000
NefariousKoel wrote:
The Boys is a pretty good series. Despite a few blatant social virtue-signaling scenes so typical of modern Hollywood being awkwardly dropped into places.

I can't think of anything like that in the orginial comic book other than a reference to George Bush Jr not being president because he had managed to cut his own head off with a chainsaw.

He is however replaced by Dakota Bob, a very effective Republican president who makes a good job of handling 9/11, up until he is knocked out with a fire extinguisher by Vic the Veep who then takes over for Vought American and sends the supes in to deal with the last plane.

_________________
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boys
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:11 pm 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 19676
Reputation points: 19776
Mac wrote:
NefariousKoel wrote:
The Boys is a pretty good series. Despite a few blatant social virtue-signaling scenes so typical of modern Hollywood being awkwardly dropped into places.

I can't think of anything like that in the orginial comic book other than a reference to George Bush Jr not being president because he had managed to cut his own head off with a chainsaw.

He is however replaced by Dakota Bob, a very effective Republican president who makes a good job of handling 9/11, up until he is knocked out with a fire extinguisher by Vic the Veep who then takes over for Vought American and sends the supes in to deal with the last plane.


It's some typical Hollywood bullshit scenes. One extended scene involves their usual demeaning stereotypes of Christians which was worthy of eye-rolling (I'm not even Christian, and found it ridiculously stereotyped).

Another which stuck out, to me, was when A-Train (black supe) is checking out sneakers in a shop and some middle-aged white guard keeps following him around, giving him the evil eye. Of course, A-Train has to bitch at him about being stereotyped (ironically, considering the Christian scene in this movie).

Add some casting couch or rapey stuff, of course, because Hollywood signaling their current signals.

I may have missed some minor ones, but luckily I could brush these interruptions off for the most part. I mean.. the scene in which a supe female takes a ride on her landlord's moustache....oh, fuck! I was convulsively laughing longer than I recall doing so in a long time. Not sure if that was in the comic, but that was both horrifying and hilarious (especially her acting afterward). So worth it. Plus the ending really is great; because Homelander.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boys
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:48 pm 
Offline
Gunnery Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:16 am
Posts: 7445
Location: The Cockney Paradise
Reputation points: 20000
I haven't seen the show yet since the display on my PC is fucked and I am having to run it in safe mode, and its a pain in the arse to stream stuff on my phone. However...

NefariousKoel wrote:
It's some typical Hollywood bullshit scenes. One extended scene involves their usual demeaning stereotypes of Christians which was worthy of eye-rolling (I'm not even Christian, and found it ridiculously stereotyped).

That is a part of the comic, Starlight is a member of Capes for Christ before she joins The Seven and shows how she is just an all round wholesome girl.

The Belive arc (issues #44-47) takes place during a Capes for Christ event, but it serves more to show how cyncial Vought American are when it comes to fleecing people of their money. It also shows how deranged and pyschopathic Homelander has become. A family win the first prize of a new car and dinner with the Homelander, it doesn't end well...

Attachment:
RCO016.jpg
RCO016.jpg [ 394.53 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]


Attachment:
RCO017.jpg
RCO017.jpg [ 332.79 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]


Quote:
Another which stuck out, to me, was when A-Train (black supe) is checking out sneakers in a shop and some middle-aged white guard keeps following him around, giving him the evil eye. Of course, A-Train has to bitch at him about being stereotyped (ironically, considering the Christian scene in this movie).

Doesn't happen in the comic book. I am not sure A-Train is even black, he has tanned skin and red hair.

Quote:
Add some casting couch or rapey stuff, of course, because Hollywood signaling their current signals.

Not sure how that plays out in the tv show, but in the comic Starlight has to suck off Homelander, A-Train and Black Noir to secure her place in The Seven. It is an important plot point and becomes very relevant later with her relationship with Hughie.

_________________
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group