maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: No One Here Gets Out Alive - 2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:05 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 807
Even billionaires can not escape the eventual.

Quote:
David Koch, conservative billionaire and philanthropist, dead at 79

David Koch — the billionaire co-owner of Koch Industries — has died. He was 79 years old.

The death of the billionaire conservative icon, who stepped down from his role as executive vice president of the family’s company last year, was announced Friday morning by his older brother, Charles.

“It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of my brother David. Anyone who worked with David surely experienced his giant personality and passion for life,” Charles said in a statement.

David was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer 27 years ago and given just a few years to live — but wound up beating those odds, Charles added.

“David liked to say that a combination of brilliant doctors, state-of-the-art medications and his own stubbornness kept the cancer at bay,” Charles’ statement continued. “We can all be grateful that it did, because he was able to touch so many more lives as a result.”

Last year, Charles said he was “deeply saddened” over his brother’s retirement due to his declining health.

“David has always been a fighter and is dealing with this challenge in the same way,” the letter said.

David was the 11th richest man in the world with a net worth of $42.9 billion, according to Forbes. Koch Industries is the second-wealthiest private firm in the country with annual revenues estimated as high as $110 billion.

David is survived by his wife, Julia Flesher, and their three children. In their own statement, the family remembered the philanthropist as their “walking Google.”

“While we mourn the loss of our hero, we remember his iconic laughter, insatiable curiosity, and gentle heart,” the statement said. “His stories of childhood adventures enlivened our family dinners; his endless knowledge rendered him our ‘walking Google.’ His sensitive heart had him shed a tear at the beauty of his daughter’s ballet, and beam with pride when his son beat him at chess. We will miss the fifth link in our family.”

The circumstances surrounding David’s death weren’t immediately clear.

I would have used word donor instead of philanthropist though.

Good riddance.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:30 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
Dr Who legend Terrance Dicks dies aged 84...

Quote:
British author Terrance Dicks, best known for his long association with Doctor Who, has died at the age of 84.

Dicks worked as script editor on more than 150 episodes of the classic sci-fi show. He also wrote numerous episodes.

Yet he is arguably better known for the many Doctor Who novelisations he wrote for the Target Books imprint.

Author Jenny Colgan said he had "helped more children (especially boys) develop a lifelong love of reading than almost anyone else who's ever lived".

Sci-fi writer Neil Gaiman also paid tribute, saying he would have never written for Doctor Who had Dicks not shown him how to do it.

Mark Gatiss, another member of the Doctor Who writing family, remembered Dicks as "a brilliant TV professional [and] a funny and generous soul".

He was also, Gatiss continued, "an inspirational writer who took so many of us on unforgettable journeys into space and time".

Chris Chibnall, Doctor Who's current show runner, said Dicks had been "responsible for some of the show's greatest moments and iconic creations".

"The lights of Doctor Who are dimmer tonight," he said in a statement. "He was one of the greatest contributors to Doctor Who's history, on screen and off.

"Everyone working on Doctor Who sends his family and friends our love and condolences at this difficult time."

Born in east London in 1935, Dicks joined Doctor Who towards the end of Patrick Troughton's tenure as the programme's second Doctor.

One of his best-loved episodes was 1983's The Five Doctors, the BBC show's 20th anniversary special.

Dicks also worked on such shows as The Avengers, The Diary of Anne Frank and a 1983 version of Jane Eyre starring Timothy Dalton.

Terrance Dicks was more than just another Doctor Who Writer. His stories were some of the most influential of the original classic series.

His first credited script for the show was 1969's The War Games with Patrick Troughton. Producer Derrick Sherwin had suggested the concept that the Doctor came from a race called the Time Lords.

The War Games script from Dicks and co-writer Malcolm Hulke took that idea and successfully introduced audiences to one of the series' most popular and longest-running elements.

As script editor, Dicks - together with producer Barry Letts - was one of the creators of the Doctor's arch-enemy The Master, introduced in the Jon Pertwee episode Terror of the Autons.

Just as importantly, the huge number of Doctor Who novelisations he wrote were instrumental in awakening a love of reading and an enduring passion for books in a generation of children.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49555763

I read some of his Dr Who novels when I was a kid, great stuff. Of course this is before they replaced the Dr with a woman and everything went to shit.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

RIP to Terrance Dicks.

While I watched the show when I was a kid and into my teens and early 20s, I have not watched it much since then.

I knew that they had replaced the Doctor with a woman.

What else did they do——-replace the “sonic screwdriver” with a “sonic vibrator”? ;-)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:26 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 12314
Eddie Money dead at age 70.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/e ... dead-at-70

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

I always thought he sucked. shrug.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
Ric Ocasek, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame singer whose popular new-wave band, The Cars, left a profound impact on rock music, was found dead in his New York City apartment on Sunday, a police spokesman said. Ocasek was 75.

RIP.

——geez....75 yrs old?
That means that I must be getting old. :(

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:40 pm 
First Sergeant

Sid Haig best known for his roles in the Rob Zombie horror movies has died aged 80...

Quote:
ACTOR Sid Haig has died at the age of 80, his heartbroken wife revealed today.

Haig, who featured in three of Rob Zombie’s horror flicks, passed away on Saturday.

Announcing his death, Susan wrote: “On Saturday, September 21, 2019, my light, my heart, my true love, my King, the other half of my soul, Sidney, passed from this realm on to the next.

“He has returned to the Universe, a shining star in her heavens. He was my angel, my husband, my best friend and always will be.

“He adored his family, his friends and his fans. This came as a shock to all of us.

“We, as a family, are asking that our privacy and time to mourn be respected.

“Goodnight, my love. We will find each other again, next time. I love you.”

The actor, with 149 credits to his name, had been hospitalised earlier this month.

His wife Susan, pleaded with his fans to pray for Sid, after he was involved in an accident and taken to intensive care.

On September 9, she wrote using his Instagram account: “Sid has had an accident and is in the hospital in ICU.

“Everyone please pray for him.”

She later confirmed that he’d “bounced back like a champ”.

Despite this, she still felt his death had come “as a shock” to all of his loved ones.

Sid is best known for his role in Rob Zombie’s House of 1000 Corpses, playing Captain Spaulding.

In the lead up to his death, he even starred in the recent film, 3 From Hell, released in cinemas last week.

While he opted to act in mainly horror films, he did make appearances in The Dukes of Hazzard, Mission: Impossible, Star Trek, Batman and the James Bond movie, Diamonds Are Forever.

The 80-year-old had recently been hospitalised after he was involved in an accident that has not been clarified.

On September 6, his wife was asking his fans for prayers.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9987314/s ... ob-zombie/

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
When a crazy mofo in a psycho clown face tells me to "Never quit," I listen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:58 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17151
Aron Eisenberg ('Nog' in Deep Space Nine) dead at age 50. Part of a comedic duo with Arman Shimerman as DS9s Ferengi back room allies. A well played role from a guy with a good sense of line delivery.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/09/aron-eisenberg-dead/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

mdiehl wrote:
Aron Eisenberg ('Nog' in Deep Space Nine) dead at age 50. Part of a comedic duo with Arman Shimerman as DS9s Ferengi back room allies. A well played role from a guy with a good sense of line delivery.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/09/aron-eisenberg-dead/

Sad to hear about that.

I liked his character on DS-9, and he sounds like a decent guy in real life.

And he is younger than I am.....so.......damn...I’m getting old.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next