maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: No One Here Gets Out Alive - 2019
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
nero wrote:

Bruno Ganz.

R.I.P.

PS. Usually the movie titles have pretty funny translations in Finland. But to translate "Der Himmel über Berlin" to "Wings of Desire" is quite funny.

Wow... looks pretty good. Seems like you might have to take a graduate class in film history and literature to get all the references. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:33 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 11628
nero wrote:

Bruno Ganz.

R.I.P.

PS. Usually the movie titles have pretty funny translations in Finland. But to translate "Der Himmel über Berlin" to "Wings of Desire" is quite funny.

That was the same thing in France, the movie was titled Les Ailes du Désir. I saw it in the 90's on Arte, the French/German channel. A very good movie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:44 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

George Mendonsa, the US WW2 famous kissing sailor dies aged 95...

Quote:
The US sailor famously photographed kissing a stranger in New York's Times Square to celebrate the end of World War Two has died aged 95.

The picture of George Mendonsa bending over and kissing 21-year-old Greta Zimmer Friedman on VJ Day (Victory over Japan) became one of the most enduring images of the period.

It was one of four photographs taken by Alfred Eisenstadt as a round-up of celebration pictures for Life magazine.

Ms Friedman died in 2016 aged 92.

Mr Mendonsa's daughter, Sharon Molleur, said her father suffered a seizure and died on Sunday after a fall at a care home in Middleton, Rhode Island.

Alfred Eisenstadt did not give the names of the kissing strangers and it was years before Mr Mendonsa and Ms Friedman were confirmed as the featured couple.

The photographer described how he watched the sailor running along the street on 14 August 1945, grabbing any girl in sight.

"I was running ahead of him with my Leica looking back over my shoulder but none of the pictures that were possible pleased me," he wrote in the book Eisenstadt on Eisenstadt.

"Then suddenly, in a flash, I saw something white being grabbed. I turned around and clicked the moment the sailor kissed the nurse. If she had been dressed in a dark dress I would never have taken the picture."

Ms Friedman, who had been working as a dental assistant, said she had not been aware of the photo until the 1960s.

"It wasn't much of a kiss," she later recalled. "It was just somebody celebrating. It wasn't a romantic event."

Mr Mendonsa had served in the Pacific and was on home leave when the picture was taken.

However, not everyone sees the photograph as something to celebrate. Although it was widely lauded as an expression of the joy felt across the US on the day Japan surrendered, in more recent times some have considered it, as Time Magazine wrote, "as little more than the documentation of a very public sexual assault".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47287116

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:31 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 13603
Quote:
Patrick Caddell, 1950-2019
By Michael Walsh February 16, 2019

Very sad news just in:

Patrick Caddell, the political pollster who helped send an obscure peanut farmer named Jimmy Carter to the White House, later became disillusioned with fellow Democrats and finally veered to advise supporters of Donald J. Trump, died on Saturday in Charleston, S.C. He was 68. His death, from complications of a stroke, was confirmed by a colleague, Prof. Kendra Stewart of the College of Charleston.

Patrick Hayward Caddell was born on May 19, 1950, in Rock Hill, S.C. His mother was Janie (Burns) Caddell. His father, Newton P. Caddell, was a Coast Guard chief warrant officer. Patrick grew up near various Coast Guard stations, spending most of his youth in Falmouth, Mass., and Jacksonville, Fla., where he attended parochial high school and also began taking his first public opinion surveys.

“Math was not my favorite subject,” he said, but at 16, for a mathematics project in his junior year, he fashioned a “voter election model” of the Jacksonville area for predicting elections based on early returns. “I set up at the courthouse and called all the elections early with great abandon, with no idea what I was doing,” he said. “And they all turned out right.”

That was the extent of his formal academic training in public opinion research.

I've known Pat for a decade or so, and was honored to be on board last summer's Hillsdale College cruise to Hawaii with him, sharing the stage with him and other conservative intellectuals, including my PJ Media colleagues, Roger Kimball and Victor Davis Hanson. Profound, perceptive, and utterly unable to suffer fools gladly, Pat resembled in appearance and presentation an Old Testament prophet, Jeremiah perhaps, thundering as he tried to make people see the light. Here he is, at his finest, denouncing the arrogance of the "elites' and celebrating the desire of Americans to govern themselves:

He had only seemingly moved rightward from the time of his service to Jimmy Carter as his pollster and adviser, to his embrace of Trump. But Pat had not moved; rather the world had moved around him. Pat remained devoted to the Constitution, to moral goodness, and to the absolute necessity of doing what was right, even at great personal cost. He was the last honorable Democrat, and he knew it.

I'll miss him personally and professionally -- America will miss him even more.
God bless him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

RIP Patrick Caddell.

You will always remain in my memory as the man who helped lead Jimmy Carter to a massive defeat in the 1980 Presidential election.

Ronald Reagan: 489 Electoral Votes
Jimmy Carter: 49 Electoral Votes.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:33 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

The Monkees Peter Tork dies aged 77...

Quote:
Peter Tork, a member of the made-for-TV pop group The Monkees, has died at the age of 77, the band's US publicist confirmed.

A post on the musician's official Facebook page said they were sharing "the devastating news... with beyond-heavy and broken hearts".

"Our friend, mentor, teacher, and amazing soul, Peter Tork, has passed from this world."

Tork had been diagnosed with a rare form of tongue cancer in 2009.

In their heyday, the band had been brought together for an American TV series in 1966, the hits of Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork included Daydream Believer and I'm a Believer.

They were famous for their clean-cut image and were marketed as the American answer to The Beatles, notching up nine top 40 hits.

Tork played bass and keyboard and also sang on some of the band's tracks.

The Monkees ran for just two series but that was enough to win an Emmy Award for outstanding comedy.

The Facebook post told Tork's fans: "We want to thank each and every one of you for your love, dedication and support of our 'boss.'

"Having you in our world has meant so very much to all of us. Please know that Peter was extremely appreciative of you, his Torkees, and one of his deepest joys was to be out in front of you, playing his music, and seeing you enjoy what he had to share.

"We send blessings and thoughts of comfort to you all, with much gratitude, the PTFB team."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47319788

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16928

I've been a Monkees fan basically since then.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

mdiehl wrote:

I've been a Monkees fan basically since then.

I was a fan as well.
I used to watch their tv when it ran in reruns.
I purchased some of their albums.
I also managed to catch part of a show they did at Summerfest up in Milwaukee in the mid 1980’s. When I purchased the ticket to go to that day’s Summerfest I had no idea that the Monkee’s were playing...it was a bonus.

RIP Peter Tork.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:55 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 1365
I saw them play in Green Bay, when they were on tour again, back in about '86.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:07 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Keith Flint of The Prodigy is dead at the age of 49...

Quote:
The Prodigy singer Keith Flint has died aged 49.

Instantly recognisable by his fluorescent spiked hair and known for high-octane performances, Flint sang lead vocals on both the band's number one singles, Breathe and Firestarter.

He was found dead at his home in Dunmow, Essex, on Monday morning.

The band, who were due to tour the US in May, confirmed his death in a statement, remembering Flint as a "true pioneer, innovator and legend".

In a post on The Prodigy's official Instagram account, bandmate Liam Howlett added: "I can't believe I'm saying this but our brother Keith took his own life over the weekend.

"I'm shell-shocked... angry, confused and heartbroken."

Fans and friends flooded Twitter with tributes as news of the death spread.

The Chemical Brothers' Ed Simons remembered him as "a great man" who was "always great fun to be around".

BBC Radio 2 DJ Jo Whiley described Flint as "an absolute sweetheart" and "iconic front man". And dance duo Chase & Status said: "We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Keith and the life-changing music they made and championed."

Born Keith Charles Flint on 17 September 1969, the singer had an unhappy childhood in Braintree, Essex, feuding with his parents, who split when he was young.

A bright boy with dyslexia, he was disruptive in class, and was thrown out of school at the age of 15.

Finding work as a roofer, he immersed himself in the acid house scene of the late 80s - meeting Howlett at an open-air rave in 1989.

Impressed by Howlett's DJ skills, he approached him and asked for a personalised mixtape. Howlett obliged, scoring the word "Prodigy" on the cover in reference to his favourite synthesiser and putting a selection of his original songs on the B-side.

Flint was so impressed that he encouraged Howlett to pursue music professionally, offering up his services as a dancer.

"I loved his music and, 'Boom!' I was in," he told FHM magazine.

"I was never the brains behind the band - that was always Liam. But together we were a complete package. It was the outlet I was looking for."

Completed by Leeroy Thornhill, The Prodigy scored early hits with Everybody In The Place, Out Of Space and Charly - which sampled the dialogue from an old children's safety film: "Always tell your mummy before you go off somewhere."

Their music matured on their second album, Music For The Jilted Generation, which saw Howlett incorporate breakbeats, guitar loops and hip-hop samples on tracks such as No Good (Start The Dance) and Voodoo People.

The album was nominated for a Mercury Music Prize - but the band truly went global when Flint grabbed the mic and unleashed the full fury of his voice on the abrasive, in-your-face rave-rock anthem Firestarter.

The lyrics - "I'm the firestarter / Twisted firestarter" - were the first he'd written for the band.

"It didn't really have anything to do with starting fires," he told the BBC in 1996.

"It was when you're in front of 5,000 people and you can go out there - and just with the aid of the music and a visual performance, you can stir all them people up into a frenzy and that's almost like starting a massive fire, or a riot."

Firestarter's black-and-white video, featuring a headbanging Flint in an abandoned Tube station, was blacklisted by the BBC after it was shown on Top of the Pops and parents complained it had frightened their children.

Despite that, it knocked Take That's How Deep Is Your Love off the top of the charts, in 1996, selling more than 600,000 copies in the UK alone.

Spurred by its success, the band's third album, Fat of The Land, went to number one in both the US and UK, selling several million copies worldwide.

Flint stepped up as a frontman, giving The Prodigy a focal point for their live shows - including a notable headline slot at the Glastonbury Festival in 1997.

Festival organiser Emily Eavis called it a "huge, unforgettable moment" - paying tribute to Flint on Twitter following his death - and revealed that The Prodigy had been booked for this year's event.

Following the success of Fat of the Land, the band faltered.

Howlett disowned the single Baby's Got A Temper, which included a controversial lyric about the "date rape" drug Rohypnol, while Flint recorded a largely forgotten solo album, Device #1, in 2003.

While remaining part of the band, Flint did not feature on their 2004 album, Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned, on which vocal duties were handled by Liam and Noel Gallagher and actress Juliette Lewis, among others.

During this period, Flint said he had had depression and formed a worrying dependence on prescription drugs.

"I'd line up rows of pills and just take them and take them and I'd lose track of how many until I passed out," he told The Times in 2009.

He decided to get clean after meeting Japanese DJ Mayumi Kai, giving up drugs, cigarettes and alcohol around the time of their marriage, in 2006.

Three years later, The Prodigy regrouped and returned to their classic sound, on the album Invaders Must Die.

The first single, Omen, was a major success, and the band returned to festival stages and stadiums around the world.

Their most recent album, No Tourists, went to number one last November.

Flint was also a keen motorcyclist and had his own team - Team Traction Control - which has won four Isle Of Man TT races.

He had recently wrapped up a tour with The Prodigy in Australia and was due to join them in the US in May.

In a statement, Essex police said: "We were called to concerns for the welfare of a man at an address in Brook Hill, North End, just after 08:10 on Monday, 4 March.

"We attended and, sadly, a 49-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin have been informed.

"The death is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47442312

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next