PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/25/star-trek-animated-comedy/

Quote:
Star Trek animated comedy series ordered from Rick and Morty writer

JAMES HIBBERD
October 25, 2018 at 11:45 AM EDT

The first-ever official Star Trek comedy series has been ordered.

CBS All Access has greenlit an animated series from Emmy-winner Mike McMahan, a writer on Adult Swim’s sensation Rick and MortyThe half-hour series is titled Star Trek: Lower Decks and will tackle the Federation from a comedic perspective, focusing “on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships.”

“Mike won our hearts with his first sentence: ‘I want to do a show about the people who put the yellow cartridge in the food replicator so a banana can come out the other end,'” said executive producer Alex Kurtzman. “[McMahan’s] cat’s name is Riker. His son’s name is Sagan. The man is committed. He’s brilliantly funny and knows every inch of every Trek episode, and that’s his secret sauce: he writes with the pure, joyful heart of a true fan. As we broaden the world of Trek to fans of all ages, we’re so excited to include Mike’s extraordinary voice.”

Added McMahan: “As a life-long Trekkie, it’s a surreal and wonderful dream come true to be a part of this new era of Star Trek. While Star Trek: Lower Decks is a half-hour, animated show at its core, it’s undeniably Trek — and I promise not to add an episode at the very end that reveals the whole thing took place in a training program.”

Fans will recognize the Lower Decks title as referencing the name of one of the best episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. In 2011, McMahan started a Twitter account posting fake TGN plots, then scored a book deal to turn his tweets into Star Trek: The Next Generation: Warped: An Engaging Guide to the Never-Aired 8th Season.

The new project will bring to mind Fox’s The Orville, a dramedy from Family Guy‘s Seth MacFarlane which is clearly inspired by Trek.

And previously, there was a much-loved Star Trek: The Animated Series which expanded on The Original Series episodes and ran from 1973-74 (but was not a comedy).

The new show is the latest Trek project by the CBS All Access streaming service, which also has Star Trek: Discovery, which returns for its second season in January, and a new show with Patrick Stewart reprising his TNG character Jean-Luc Picard in the works.

Is this probably a way for CBS to try and draw back some of the Trek fans that have been watching The Orville?
No doubt.

I also seem to recall an series of indie shorts (maybe on Amazon Prime, I can't remember where or the name) done that covered the goings on of an engineering staff on a spaceship. That was for all intents and purposes a satire of the 'red shirts' on the original Star Trek.

I have CBS All Access so will be looking forward to see what this is like.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Star Trek animated comedy series ordered from Rick and M
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15961
I gotta rent and binge on Rick and Morty one of these days with the wife. It looks brilliant. That comedic Star Trek cartoon also sounds brilliant.

Profile E-mail