It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: "War and Peace" (2007)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:05 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 9532
I can't rate this adaptation, happened to catch the last part on 'raitalia' (Satellite Italy) while surfing the channels - thought it would be a change of pace from comic adaptations.

Who has managed to read the book, not I, like Dickens, Shakespeare, and most Opera I enjoy them in the film adaptations.

Quote:
Excellent TV film, 8 December 2008
10/10
Author: jamesnightshade from Taipei, Taiwan
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0495055/
Excellent all-around--the superb acting is the high point--Alexander Beyer and Hannelore Elsner particularly good, and of course Malcolm McDowell is good. The cinematography and production design are gorgeous, and the historical realism is dense and exciting (best Napoleon you'll ever see). Costumes are excellent and rich, and the direction is skillful (wonderful close-ups of the actors, the directors really gave them a chance to shine). Music is beautiful. A really outstanding, well-made piece, a great tale with a wonderful cast of villains and delightfully honorable, upstanding characters, with many exciting contests and backstabbing among them. Though admittedly the narrative has to move along at a brisk pace, and much is left out of the story, this is true of any long tale like this one brought to the screen. Much fun to watch over a few nights.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "War and Peace" (2007)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:35 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4603
I read the book... a long time ago. Back when I was into "huge" epics, like Shogun.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:48 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2562
OMG, I've seen part of that TV series. Clémence Poésy is kinda hot, but that's all good that can be said about it. Despite me being a fan of the era.

It is incredibly schmaltzy, wooden acting and the battle scenes are very cheaply done and lack immersion value into the action. It has "TV movie" written all over it. I couldn't stand to watch all of it. Their Napoleon character is especially bad, the actor not even remotely looks like Bonaparte.

I know, but big girls need love too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:55 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 9532
War and Peace (1966) 7 hour Russian film_subtitled

Quote:
A project so gigantic that it had to be funded by the Soviet Government.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4EcRSo ... F3&index=1
3 December 2002 | by TheVid (Colorado Springs) – See all my reviews
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063794/
Bondarchuk brings Tolstoy's enormous literary work to the screen with all the scope and pomposity that the Soviet film industry could muster in the sixties. It's a long, two-part movie that tries to give moviegoers as much of an experience as readers often get from the novel. It's generally successful in a clinical way. The production design and set pieces are delivered on a massive scale, with battle scenes that are basically re-enactments of history. There's enough creative casting to make most of the characters come alive, although much of the drama is wooden and stagey (just as in the book, I might add). All in all, this is probably the biggest visual spectacle ever put on film, even in the age of CGI (a fact which only makes the viewer more appreciative of the logistics involved in setting up a production as big as this). A colossal epic that gives true meaning to the term "years in the making with a cast of thousands!". Image/Rusico is presenting a definitive DVD version in the Sovscope widescreen ratio with the original 70mm six-track magoptical sound on four discs. That's around 7 hours of subtitles for those inclined to see this spectacle in it's purest form.
Seen it and it's great. The Soviet influence isn't noticeable until the end where they blame the burning of Moscow on the French, who knows maybe that's how it was in the book?

A clip from Roger Ebert's 1869 review:
Quote:
For this reason, among many others, the Russian version of "War and Peace" is a magnificently unique film. Money isn't everything, but you can't make an epic without it. And "War and Peace" is the definitive epic of all time. It is hard to imagine that circumstances will ever again combine to make a more spectacular, expensive, and -- yes -- splendid movie. Perhaps that's just as well; epics seem to be going out of favor, replaced instead by smaller, more personal films. Perhaps this greatest of the epics will be one of the last, bringing the epic form to its ultimate statement and at the same time supplying the epitaph.

Profile E-mail