It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: The Great War
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:47 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17050
Maybe you've seen this already, wouldn't be surprised.

But if you have not... the Great War channel on Youtube is doing a video for every week of WW1 showing what was going on.

Crazy!

Here's the first one :-

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Great War
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:30 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
EUBanana wrote:
Maybe you've seen this already, wouldn't be surprised.

But if you have not... the Great War channel on Youtube is doing a video for every week of WW1 showing what was going on.

Crazy!

Here's the first one :-

Ive been watching this sporadically.
It’s interesting.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16336
Does look like a good channel. The dude is almost a little TOO slick, but ah well. It isn't like he has some sort of "anti-Austro-Hungarian" agenda he is trying to further . . . right?

Is the EU the modern-day incarnation of the AuHuEmp?

Looking back at the pre-Cold War history of Europe, pretty much any of it, as a Yank I'm always honestly left with this kind of stark amazement at how simultaneously barbaric and sophisticated your Europeens are. The height of art, culture, literature, science, architecture, music, gardening, taxidermy, mustache-twirling, ridiculous dress uniform tailoring, big ass cannon foundering . . . and right along with it: inconceivable inter-ethnic enmity that is so "natural" and casual that you had to kill ~tens of millions of each other and face being occupied and oppressed by Stalin, AND get a helping hand in finances and role modeling from us Yanks to finally come up with an international relations ethos that wasn't a ticking international conflict bomb ticking. When I view it that way, the fact that the EU is a tyrannical, oligarchic, unrepresentative, parasitic entity that straddles the people just like every past aristrocratic regime isn't so surprising.

It is too bad we cannot just naturalize all you decent Euro folks into Canada and the U.S. and leave no one but the charlatans, thugs and muslims to fight it out.

Probably too bad the Napoleon went off the deep end and failed to establish a cohesive superstate. You all likely would have been a lot better off if France had managed to establish a permanent empire on the continent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:47 am 
Sergeant Major

What amuses me is that the ultimatum Austro-Hungary delivered to Serbia, regarding demanding control over the Serbian legal system, rather reminds me of the demands of the EU that the European Court of Justice would have jurisdiction over the UK...

Interesting that the guy takes a dim view of Conrad von Hotzendorf too, and seems to share my view that if any one guy was responsible for WW1, it was probably him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:45 am 
Sergeant Major

Don't recall too much about Hotzendorf, other than what he conveys; but yeah, he does sound very culpable. Honestly though, it is almost like a whole "generation" wanted to be led to slaughter, and not just the boneheaded national leaders and military commanders, but droves of the actual sheep too!

Based on the little bit I've read, I was very impressed by the strangely warped little neurotic creature called Wilhelm. I came away with the conclusion that he was quite possibly the most responsible for the reasons that: Germany had NO PRAGMATIC NEED to compete with England (or France for that matter). But because of his withered arm self-conscious Mommy-was-British issues he had some twisted need to "be loved" and admired by Mother Brittania; sort of like the whacked out murderers who kill the celebrities they most adore. Had Wilhelm not engaged in the insane dreadnought arms race, honestly I cannot see Britain having got involved, or at least their probability to do so would have been much reduced.

And then we come to Russia: again enormous quanta of responsibility. Had they not been making substantial advances in every respect the Germans would have not felt the need to take them out "now, while we still can . . ." In their case, it doesn't seem like such a petty, personal peccadillo manifest as "international relations," nor as just stupid bad leadership. I suppose it is inescapable that every nation aspires to greatness and it seems to me that is all Russia was doing. Serves them right though for riding on the backs of their down-trodden peasants for centuries and winding up dead and wiped out by the next wave of totalitarian scum wearing aristocrats/comrades clothes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Anthropoid wrote:

Probably too bad the Napoleon went off the deep end and failed to establish a cohesive superstate. You all likely would have been a lot better off if France had managed to establish a permanent empire on the continent.

No way!

Have you seen the laws that Napoleon's system left behind?! Besides, it would've just been the aforementioned aristocratic EU bullshit starting in an earlier age. Fucking nightmare.

I'll take the US-flavored Anglo derived laws over the rest every day of the week!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:08 am 
Sergeant Major

Russia is hardly responsible for German desires to maintain their hegemony through force. Nobody stomped all over Germany in 1875 to maintain their control and keep Germany down (On the contrary, Germany very nearly did it to France, yet again, in 1875. The "War in Sight Crisis"). Nobody stomped all over Germany in 1933 either for that matter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

NefariousKoel wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

No way!

Have you seen the laws that Napoleon's system left behind?! Besides, it would've just been the aforementioned aristocratic EU bullshit starting in an earlier age. Fucking nightmare.

I'll take the US-flavored Anglo derived laws over the rest every day of the week!

Heh heh, there's a good Brit. ;)

I suspect it is damn near impossible for most British to appreciate what good Napoleon accomplished, understandably. Definitely as time went on, he verged very far over into the "predominantly malicious for everyone including the French" zone. But at first, I'd say he was actually a "freedom fighter" and some of his initial reforms--at least in so far as they applied to French territories, were rather ahead of their time.

I agree that, if the Napoleon who became a conqueror had "won" it would have been terrible. But if "Young Napoleon" had not morphed into power mad Napoleon and had managed to establish a superstate . . . maybe that is inherently contradictory! :lol:

EUBanana wrote:
Russia is hardly responsible for German desires to maintain their hegemony through force. Nobody stomped all over Germany in 1875 to maintain their control and keep Germany down (On the contrary, Germany very nearly did it to France, yet again, in 1875. The "War in Sight Crisis"). Nobody stomped all over Germany in 1933 either for that matter.

I'm drawing a blank on the specifics of German-Russian affairs of the 19th century . . . all I can vaguely recall is that they (like everyone else) were allies of convenience against Napoleon from time to time . . . So in that sense you are probably right. There was not a PRECEDENT of Russian aggression against Germany(?).

However, it is hard to regard the Franco-Russian alliance of 1892 to 1917 as anything except a latent threat toward any Great Power that lay sandwiched between them, i.e., Germany and to some extent Austro-Hungary. Yes, I acknowledge that if it hadn't been for the Franco-Prussian war, the Triple Alliance, and events of the early to mid 19th century France and Russia would never have regarded an alliance as expedient. But that is always the way with these things: an alliance can be seen as a proximate determinant of a war, but the reasons for the alliance existing in the first place generally trace back to some previous war/period of hostility, etc.

This is why many of us Yanks regard you Europeens as being inherently prone to barbarism :P

The whole fabric of your continent is woven with the threads of past enmity and conflict! It is understandable that you Albioners wish to cast off from the whole mess and make yourselves free once more!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
However, it is hard to regard the Franco-Russian alliance of 1892 to 1917 as anything except a latent threat toward any Great Power that lay sandwiched between them, i.e., Germany and to some extent Austro-Hungary. Yes, I acknowledge that if it hadn't been for the Franco-Prussian war, the Triple Alliance, and events of the early to mid 19th century France and Russia would never have regarded an alliance as expedient. But that is always the way with these things: an alliance can be seen as a proximate determinant of a war, but the reasons for the alliance existing in the first place generally trace back to some previous war/period of hostility, etc.

The German Empire upset the balance of power; prior to that, there were no wars between France and Prussia in the 19th century after Napoleon was dealt with.

Not necessarily the Germans fault but Bismarck was not exactly conciliatory.

Quote:
The whole fabric of your continent is woven with the threads of past enmity and conflict! It is understandable that you Albioners wish to cast off from the whole mess and make yourselves free once more!

All comes down to bitching between Charles the Bald, Lothair, Louis the German and Pepin back in the 8th century. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Verdun

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Yep, Charles, Lothair and Louis are the ones who got it all started! :lol:

Profile E-mail