It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: No One Here Gets Out Alive - 2018
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:34 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 13926
You are not fucking dying yet Mark E. Smith edition.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... l-13976013

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: No One Here Gets Out Alive - 2018
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:16 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

US astronaut John Young, who flew to the moon twice and commanded the first ever space shuttle mission passes away aged 87...

Quote:
US astronaut John Young, who flew to the moon twice and commanded the first ever space shuttle mission, has died aged 87, Nasa said.

"Today, Nasa and the world have lost a pioneer," agency chief Robert Lightfoot said in a statement.

Young was the only person to have flown missions on the Gemini, Apollo and space shuttle programmes.

He also once famously smuggled a corned beef sandwich on to a space flight as a gift for a fellow astronaut.

Young retired in 2004 after a 42-year career. Nasa said he died on Friday following complications from pneumonia.

"John was one of that group of early space pioneers whose bravery and commitment sparked our nation's first great achievements in space," Mr Lightfoot said.

"But, not content with that, his hands-on contributions continued long after the last of his six space flights - a world record at the time of his retirement from the cockpit."

Born in San Francisco in 1930, Young gained a degree in aeronautical engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology and then served in the US Navy as a test pilot.

He was picked as a Nasa astronaut in 1962 and first went into space in 1965 with the Gemini 3 mission.

It was while orbiting the Earth that he handed the smuggled sandwich to his colleague, Gus Grissom. Nasa later rebuked him for the stunt.

In May 1969 Young was part of the Apollo 10 mission that flew to the moon as a rehearsal for the Apollo 11 landing two months later. The crew tested the lander module in lunar orbit without landing it.

Young finally walked on the moon himself in 1972 as commander of the Apollo 16 mission - the ninth of 12 people to have ever set foot on the lunar surface.

He and crewmate Charles Duke gathered rock and soil samples and drove the lunar rover more than 16 miles (26km).

In an interview with the Houston Chronicle in 2004, Young recalled: "One-sixth gravity on the surface of the moon is just delightful. It's not like being in zero gravity, you know. You can drop a pencil in zero gravity and look for it for three days. In one-sixth gravity, you just look down and there it is."

In 1981, Young commanded the inaugural flight of Nasa's first space shuttle, Columbia. Two years later he became the first person to fly six space missions when he commanded Columbia on the first Spacelab mission.

It was his last journey into space. Young had been due to command a space shuttle flight in 1986 but it was cancelled after the explosion of the shuttle Challenger earlier that year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42592057

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:55 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Fast Eddie Clarke the last surviving member of the orginal Motorhead line-up dies aged 67...

Quote:
Eddie Clarke, the last surviving member of Motorhead's classic line-up, has died at the age of 67.

The band's Facebook page announced that the guitarist died in hospital after being admitted with pneumonia.

Clarke, whose nickname was Fast Eddie, played with Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister and Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor in the heavy metal band between 1976-82.

He played on the first six Motorhead albums, later going on to form Fastway with UFO bassist Peter Way.

The social media statement also contained tributes from later band members including guitarist Phil Campbell.

He said: "Just heard the sad news that Fast Eddie Clarke has passed away. He will be remembered for his iconic riffs and was a true rock and roller, RIP Eddie."

The band's ex-drummer Mikkey Dee added: "This is terrible news, the last of the three amigos.

"I saw Eddie not too long ago and he was in great shape, so this is a complete shock. I was looking forward to seeing him in the UK this summer.

"Now Lem and Philthy can jam with Eddie again and if you listen carefully I'm sure you'll hear them, so watch out!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42650076

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:41 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9875
Quote:
The Cranberries’ Dolores O’Riordan Dead at 46

She was the lead singer since the early 1990s
https://pitchfork.com/news/the-cranberr ... ead-at-46/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:48 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11378
That sucks.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:06 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9875
Quote:

Edwin Reuben Hawkins (August 19, 1943 – January 15, 2018) was an American gospel musician, pianist, choir master, composer, and arranger. He was one of the originators of the urban contemporary gospel sound. He (as leader of the Edwin Hawkins Singers) was probably best known for his arrangement of "Oh Happy Day" (1968–69), which was included on the Songs of the Century list. The Edwin Hawkins Singers made a second foray into the charts exactly one year later, backing folk singer Melanie on "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Hawkins

Profile E-mail