It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: No One Here Gets Out Alive - 2018
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:34 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 14609
You are not fucking dying yet Mark E. Smith edition.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... l-13976013

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: No One Here Gets Out Alive - 2018
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:16 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

US astronaut John Young, who flew to the moon twice and commanded the first ever space shuttle mission passes away aged 87...

Quote:
US astronaut John Young, who flew to the moon twice and commanded the first ever space shuttle mission, has died aged 87, Nasa said.

"Today, Nasa and the world have lost a pioneer," agency chief Robert Lightfoot said in a statement.

Young was the only person to have flown missions on the Gemini, Apollo and space shuttle programmes.

He also once famously smuggled a corned beef sandwich on to a space flight as a gift for a fellow astronaut.

Young retired in 2004 after a 42-year career. Nasa said he died on Friday following complications from pneumonia.

"John was one of that group of early space pioneers whose bravery and commitment sparked our nation's first great achievements in space," Mr Lightfoot said.

"But, not content with that, his hands-on contributions continued long after the last of his six space flights - a world record at the time of his retirement from the cockpit."

Born in San Francisco in 1930, Young gained a degree in aeronautical engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology and then served in the US Navy as a test pilot.

He was picked as a Nasa astronaut in 1962 and first went into space in 1965 with the Gemini 3 mission.

It was while orbiting the Earth that he handed the smuggled sandwich to his colleague, Gus Grissom. Nasa later rebuked him for the stunt.

In May 1969 Young was part of the Apollo 10 mission that flew to the moon as a rehearsal for the Apollo 11 landing two months later. The crew tested the lander module in lunar orbit without landing it.

Young finally walked on the moon himself in 1972 as commander of the Apollo 16 mission - the ninth of 12 people to have ever set foot on the lunar surface.

He and crewmate Charles Duke gathered rock and soil samples and drove the lunar rover more than 16 miles (26km).

In an interview with the Houston Chronicle in 2004, Young recalled: "One-sixth gravity on the surface of the moon is just delightful. It's not like being in zero gravity, you know. You can drop a pencil in zero gravity and look for it for three days. In one-sixth gravity, you just look down and there it is."

In 1981, Young commanded the inaugural flight of Nasa's first space shuttle, Columbia. Two years later he became the first person to fly six space missions when he commanded Columbia on the first Spacelab mission.

It was his last journey into space. Young had been due to command a space shuttle flight in 1986 but it was cancelled after the explosion of the shuttle Challenger earlier that year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42592057

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:55 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Fast Eddie Clarke the last surviving member of the orginal Motorhead line-up dies aged 67...

Quote:
Eddie Clarke, the last surviving member of Motorhead's classic line-up, has died at the age of 67.

The band's Facebook page announced that the guitarist died in hospital after being admitted with pneumonia.

Clarke, whose nickname was Fast Eddie, played with Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister and Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor in the heavy metal band between 1976-82.

He played on the first six Motorhead albums, later going on to form Fastway with UFO bassist Peter Way.

The social media statement also contained tributes from later band members including guitarist Phil Campbell.

He said: "Just heard the sad news that Fast Eddie Clarke has passed away. He will be remembered for his iconic riffs and was a true rock and roller, RIP Eddie."

The band's ex-drummer Mikkey Dee added: "This is terrible news, the last of the three amigos.

"I saw Eddie not too long ago and he was in great shape, so this is a complete shock. I was looking forward to seeing him in the UK this summer.

"Now Lem and Philthy can jam with Eddie again and if you listen carefully I'm sure you'll hear them, so watch out!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42650076

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:41 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 10667
Quote:
The Cranberries’ Dolores O’Riordan Dead at 46

She was the lead singer since the early 1990s
https://pitchfork.com/news/the-cranberr ... ead-at-46/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11789
That sucks.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:06 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 10667
Quote:

Edwin Reuben Hawkins (August 19, 1943 – January 15, 2018) was an American gospel musician, pianist, choir master, composer, and arranger. He was one of the originators of the urban contemporary gospel sound. He (as leader of the Edwin Hawkins Singers) was probably best known for his arrangement of "Oh Happy Day" (1968–69), which was included on the Songs of the Century list. The Edwin Hawkins Singers made a second foray into the charts exactly one year later, backing folk singer Melanie on "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Hawkins

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Sci-fi and Fantasy author Ursula K Le Guin dies aged 88...

Quote:
Award-winning US science fiction and fantasy author Ursula K Le Guin has died, aged 88, her family said.

The best-selling writer passed away on Monday at her home in Portland, Oregon, after a period of ill health, said her son, Theo Downes-Le Guin.

Le Guin's books melded dragons and wizards with spaceships to tackle earth-bound problems of race, gender and class.

Translated into dozens of languages, her books have sold millions of copies.

She was best known for the Earthsea series, written for young adults, and The Left Hand of Darkness, set on a planet where everyone is ambisexual.

In a career spanning more than half a century, she won a number of Nebula and Hugo science fiction and fantasy awards, as well as the Newbery Medal, the top honour for US children's literature.

The US Library of Congress in 2000 designated her a Living Legend for her contribution to America's cultural heritage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42798654

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

FOR FUCKING FUCK SAKES I SAID YOU WEREN'T DYING YET...

Quote:
The Fall singer Mark E Smith has died aged 60, the band's manager has said.

Pam Van Damned said the frontman died at home on Wednesday morning and a more detailed statement would follow "in the next few days".

"In the meantime, Pam and Mark's family request privacy at this sad time," the statement said.

Paying tribute, Smith's former bandmate Marc Riley said the singer "taught me a lot about life and he taught me a lot about music".

Riley, now a radio DJ, was on air on BBC 6 Music when the news broke. The pair had a tumultuous relationship - as was the case with Smith and many of the 60-odd musicians who passed through The Fall's ranks.

"Aged 16 he really did teach me so much," Riley told listeners.

"The Fall were my favourite band when I joined and they were still my favourite band when I got kicked out."

Born into a working-class family in Broughton, Salford, Smith grew up in Prestwich, and worked first in a meat factory and then as a shipping clerk on the Manchester docks.

In 1976, inspired by a Sex Pistols gig, he quit the docks for The Fall.

Simon Wolstencroft, who was the band's drummer for 11 years, told the BBC Smith was a "funny guy" and "very intelligent".

Smith's ex-wife and former band member Brix Smith Start thanked well-wishers for their messages and said she was just "taking the news in".

Singers Lisa Stansfield and Billy Bragg paid tribute to Smith saying a "cultural icon" had died.

BBC 6 Music's Lauren Laverne said Smith was "untouchably cool" and Charlatans singer Tim Burgess said he was "a true uncompromising musical maverick".

BBC Radio 2 presenter Jeremy Vine tweeted: "Mark E Smith - one of the greatest rock stars ever produced by this country.

"The last time I saw The Fall, in 2017, he felt unwell on stage and sang all the songs from inside his dressing room."

Shaun Of The Dead director Edgar Wright said: "Not merely a legend of indie music, but someone who, for me, was a gateway into that very genre."

Mark E Smith, the snarling singer and single-minded leader of Manchester post-punk group The Fall, was a rock hero whose drinking and fighting - as well as his ragged but rare musical artistry - became the stuff of legend.

Over the past 40 years, great bands have come and gone. Musical trends have waxed and waned.

But The Fall - basically Mark E Smith and whoever he hadn't fallen out with at the time - remained belligerently immoveable as the unfashionable but unshrinking mob in the shadows of the music scene.

In that time, he hired and fired more than 60 bandmates and released 30 albums of music that normally featured frayed, repetitive guitars and Smith's caustic stream of semi-consciousness.

His pronounced sing-slur made him unlike any other frontman, and he inspired devotion among fans who were drawn to his singular presence and rambling poetry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42811968

I will come up with a fitting tribute tomorrow. I am too gutted to make one now. :(

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

An article on some of Smith's best insults...

Quote:
For over 40 years, Mark E. Smith was one of the most entertaining personalities in rock, both on and off the stage, mainly for saying exactly what was on his mind at any given time. The Fall frontman, who died today at 60, had a reputation as a magnificently cranky and quotable bastard that preceded him, making him something of a modern day Oscar Wilde crossed with a profane soccer hooligan in the midst of a blackout.

Smith’s cantankerous demeanor often struck fear in former bandmates and opening bands, as well as journalists who hoped to find Smith in a good mood when they were tasked with interviewing him. That said, most writers relished the fact that Smith always gave a great quote, and few things brought out that colorful side of him than being presented with the opportunity to spew bile in the direction of uninspired musicians and bands he deemed pretenders to the Fall’s throne.

If musicians haven’t been able to earn the iconic and influential songwriter’s elusive admiration over the years, then they should take comfort in the fact that an insult from Smith was an honor in and of itself. Getting owned by post-punk’s roastmaster is an exclusively club, and one that just shuttered for good.

On Kate Bush:

“Who decided it was time to start liking her again?” Smith told the Manchester Evening News in 2014. “I never even liked her the first time round. It’s like all these radio DJs have been raiding their mam’s and dad’s record collections and decided that Kate Bush is suddenly cool again. But I’m not having it.”

On Telly Savalas’s beloved detective character Kojack:

“He’s a twat.”

On young bands The Fall typically shares festival bills with:

A bunch of “ass lickers.”

On Mumford & Sons:

“We were playing a festival in Dublin the other week. There was this other group, like, warming up in the next sort of chalet, and they were terrible,” Smith told the Aussie magazine Brag in 2010. “I said, ‘Shut them cunts up!’ And they were still warming up, so I threw a bottle at them. The bands said, ‘That’s the Sons of Mumford’ or something. ‘They’re number five in charts!'”

On Morrissey (probably):

According to A.V. Club writer Jason Heller, the 1984 Fall song “C.R.E.E.P.” is rumored to be about the fellow Manchurian and then-Smiths crooner. Let’s take a look at a verse and judge for ourselves. From Genius:

He reads books; of the list book club
And after two months—his stance a familiar hunch
It’s that same slouch—you had the last time he came around

His oppression abounds, his type is doing the rounds
He is a scum-egg; a horrid trendy wretch

Well, Morrissey wrote a song about visiting John Keats, Oscar Wilde, John Yeats’s graves, so he’s probably read some books.

On Suede:

Upon hearing news that Smith passed away, Suede bassist Mat Osman tweeted a story about playing a few shows opening for the Fall early in the band’s Britpop band’s career. Osman said he and his bandmates were huge fans, but nervous to be touring with the post-punk legends because Smith could be “could be rough on support bands,” but the cantankerous frontman turned out to be friendly and accommodating throughout the tour.

The M. Night Shyamalan twist came shortly after the band finished the tour and were listening to an interview with Smith on the ride home.

Especially when Skinner asked, “Do you like any of the new bands who are calling you an influence.”
Mark said “Like who?”
Skinner asked “Well, like Suede.”

There was a perfectly timed beat.

“Never heard of them.”

— Mat Osman (@matosman) January 24, 2018

On Thurston Moore:

In a 2010 New York Times review, Ben Ratliff wrote that Smith “once suggested that Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth should have his rock license revoked.”

On Prince:

When asked by a Guardian journalist in 2017 if he was a Prince fan, Smith responded: “No. They’re weird aren’t they, Prince fans?”

On the state of music in 2017:

“The standard of music these days is fucking terrible. Being poorly you have to watch shit like Jools Holland,” Smith told the Guardian in what the site calls Smith’s final interview. “A lot of it sounds like when I was 15 and I’d go round to a long-haired guy’s flat to score a joint and they’d always put on some fucking lousy Elton John LP. That sounds like Ed Sheeran to me, a duff singer songwriter from the 70’s you find in charity shops.”

On Philip K. Dick movie adaptations:

“I think the original Blade Runner is the most obscene film ever made, I fucking hated it. The Man in the High Castle is one of my favourite books; how they fucked that TV show up I don’t know,” Smith told the Guardian. “The only good Philip K Dick film is Total Recall, it’s faithful to the book. Arnie gets it. I was physically sick watching A Scanner Darkly, it was like an episode of Cheers painted over except they all smoke dope and imagine women with no clothes on.

On people from Manchester:

“I don’t like Northern people, I don’t like Manchurians,” Smith told Noisey UK. “There’s something about Manchester musicians that’s particularly fucking irritating. They have this sort of God-given right, which Londoners used to have I suppose. They think they’re superior, but they’re not. Manchester’s only got Freddie and the Dreamers.”

On Franz Ferdinand citing The Fall as an influence:

“If I could afford a lawyer, I just might pull an injunction on them mentioning our name. Haha! I mean, if you’re new to The Fall… a lot of these groups… I don’t know what it is,” Smith told Brooklyn Vegan in 2006. “I think a lot of these group use it to sound a bit hip. When I was a teenager, people used to say “oh well this group sounds a lot like this group”, and then when you go and see them they sound like a pack of shit. They sound like the Talking Heads to me, and I’m not knocking them, it’s just misleading.”

On Pavement:

Smith was known to be the hardest on the bands that looked up to him the most. Pavement made no secret of the influence the Fall had on their music and Smith made no secret of that fact that he was unimpressed by the ’90s indie rockers, explicitly calling them “rip-offs.”

“It’s just The Fall in 1985, isn’t it?” Smith famously said of Stephen Malkmus and co. “They haven’t got an original idea in their heads.”

https://www.spin.com/2018/01/mark-e-smi ... t-insults/

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

Smith once described the men he grew up around in Salford, Manchester as "Tough men with hard livers and faces like un-made beds". He would grow up to become one of those men himself. A hard drinker, brutally uncompromising and possessing an acid wit he ran his band like a factory owner hiring and firing members at will. The Fall lineup went through 66 band members with a third of them not even lasting a year. MES once said "If it's me and your granny on bongos its a Fall gig". The Fall released 32 studio albums and 32 live albums.

MES had a deep distrust of journalists and was known for being a rude cunt. He would get into physical altercations with band members with fights even breaking out live on stage. Once the entire band quit on him after he poured a can of beer over their coach drivers head while the guy was driving at 80 mph.

But there was another side to the man, people have spoken of his kindness and generosity, ex-band members have said how he was always there when they needed him. A favorite MES story of mine goes like this - "Mark E. Smith is walking down a street. He sees a little girl crying. He asks her what’s wrong. She says she’s lost her teddy bear. ‘Don’t worry. He’s gone touring with a rock band.’ Every now and then Mark sends a postcard from 'Mark E. Bear'. He kept this up until she was 28".

He was a man who went his own way, never giving a fuck, he kept up at it long after many of his peers had quit and gone to get day jobs. While the proles were out buying the piece of shit that is Europe's "Final Countdown" MES was writing songs about the conspiracy theories around the death of Pope John Paul I...

RIP to this nations saving grace. You living leg-end.

What a waste...

Profile E-mail