It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: Bright (Netflix, 2017)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15052
Feature film length Netflix movie, strong language, tons of violence.

I give it five headbangs out of five. Definitely worth the time and cost if you are into fantasy or sf movies. And if you ever played the Shadowrun RPG (the whole movie plays out like a Shadowrun scenario) you will watch it a second time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5519340/

Los Angeles policemen Ward (Will Smith, a human) and Jakoby (Joel Edgerton, an orc) fight gang bangers, corrupt cops, orc community activists, and a darklord cult of elves led by an elf ninja-assassin-mage (Noomi Rapace) , to rescue a young elf (Lucy Fry), and a magic wand.

Definitely NOT your average Buddy Cop Movie.

Your typical politically correct weak kneed milksop movie critic -- the sort of people who ONLY like chick flicks, sensitive new age guy dramas, films about queerness, and Spike Lee movies -- will hate it. That is despite the fact that the film squeezes in character sympathy and ethnic-relations commentary in that which is largely an Action Flick.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

Post subject: Re: Bright (Netflix, 2017)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:04 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 12978
Sounds like a must see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:15 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
It's a good flick. Especially since it isn't the usual cut & paste crap we see so often in media these days.

Some of the cop movie banter was old and cliched, but not quite all of it. The story and setting was good, though.

Maybe we'll start seeing more in the "urban fantasy" genre, and other such mashing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:30 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 18898
mdiehl wrote:
Your typical politically correct weak kneed milksop movie critic -- the sort of people who ONLY like chick flicks, sensitive new age guy dramas, films about queerness, and Spike Lee movies -- will hate it. That is despite the fact that the film squeezes in character sympathy and ethnic-relations commentary in that which is largely an Action Flick.

They did. It's interesting to note what critics like/don't like and what real people like/don't like...

Attachment:
1514307703919.jpg
1514307703919.jpg [ 159.49 KiB | Viewed 900 times ]

I haven't watched it yet but I saw the trailer and got sold at the line "Fairy lives don't matter today."

I saw some Anon on 4chan's /tv/ board sum it up as "It's like we have got 90's Will Smith back." If they like it then it must be good, /tv/ usually hates everything. ;)

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:06 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 12978
There was a tv series Alien Nation http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/S ... lienNation , two cops, one human, the other alien.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:57 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Mac wrote:
mdiehl wrote:

They did. It's interesting to note what critics like/don't like and what real people like/don't like...

I recall a study found that 90+% of the people working in big media, which included peripheral toads such as career critics, contribute to the Democratic party.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:52 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16050
I liked it. I wouldn't rate it A+++ or anything but it's a very good, solid movie.

Will Smith carries it, his dialogue is good though so the writers were backing him up.

Profile E-mail