maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars - Blah Blah Blahhh
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:28 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Mac wrote:
At this point Disney could stick the Star Wars logo on a turd and sell it. They should rebrand it Soy Wars.

Attachment:
DJ4rhe7VAAE4oZV.jpg

:lol:

Porgs gave me anthrax.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:30 pm 
Hair in the soap

Mac wrote:
There was plenty of diversity in movie and tv shows back in the day. SJW revisionists just don't want people to remember that so they can push their "Everything wrong in the World is because of stupid whte males" agenda.

Of couse that agenda has led to things like the BBC thinking its fine to cast a black actor as a Norman in a docudrama about 1066.

Blieeeeeeeeaahhhhhk!

Toxic Masculinity!!

MUST PUNISH YOUR WRONGTHINK.

(i.e. They will invent whatever it takes to erase the past, to make way for their new regime. 1984 is not a manual.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:39 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
If you don't like TLJ go watch it again! Give Disney more shekels! Buy more Porg's!

Ok then.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:27 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17300
This thread is like reading someone who "knows all about sex" after having heard what it's like now praising that no one should practice it - "it hurts, it is icky and disgusting!"

Also, having read through the entire plot of a movie before seeing it is like having an itinerary for sex.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:44 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

If I just blindly watched movies I would have ended up watching Ghostbusters 2016 and we saw how that turned out. I don't see a problem in finding out what you are getting into before you spend your money.

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:02 am 

Mac wrote:
If I just blindly watched movies I would have ended up watching Ghostbusters 2016 and we saw how that turned out. I don't see a problem in finding out what you are getting into before you spend your money.

I saw the initial poster for it and I just knew.

As for the biggest movie release of the year, I want to maintain a purity of experience. The experience comes from not knowing what to expect, from being genuinely thrilled and hanging by the edge of your seat. From being genuinely surprised, amazed and immersed in suspension of disbelief.

In a good case it can be an amazing experience, not just a confirmation to what you've read and an analysis of the actor work.

But then different people go to movies for different reasons. For me the 25€ including the refreshments and all is insubstantial amount. For crying out loud I collect swords for a hobby. Watching movies is free in comparison. Also, I whack other people with steel for fun so I will not swallow any accusations of soy-ism.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:25 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

Kameolontti wrote:
But then different people go to movies for different reasons. For me the 25€ including the refreshments and all is insubstantial amount. For crying out loud I collect swords for a hobby. Watching movies is free in comparison. Also, I whack other people with steel for fun so I will not swallow any accusations of soy-ism.

I wasn't trying to imply that you are a soy boy. ;)

I don't usually go so deep into a movies plot before I watch it, but it is fucking Star Wars, a franchise I have been a fan of for 40 years. When I saw the disparity between the critic and audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic etc I wanted to know why. And I didn't like what I saw. I am not saying its a bad movie, by all accounts it is an enjoyable watch. I just think its a bad Star Wars movie and I am not happy with the decisions they made with it.

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:07 am 

Mac wrote:
Kameolontti wrote:

I wasn't trying to imply that you are a soy boy. ;)

I don't usually go so deep into a movies plot before I watch it, but it is fucking Star Wars, a franchise I have been a fan of for 40 years. When I saw the disparity between the critic and audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic etc I wanted to know why. And I didn't like what I saw. I am not saying its a bad movie, by all accounts it is an enjoyable watch. I just think its a bad Star Wars movie and I am not happy with the decisions they made with it.

I have been considering this myself - it seems like all the recent games and movies sink really easily on Metacritic user average.

I started reading through some user reviews. I found a shit ton of this:

"This is an awesome game, I love it but I fucking hate X feature, it is annoying. 0/10"

Yea. The bitching-generation growing up and discovering Metacritic. GTA V or Skyrim doesn't allow you to milk the cows and set a dairy business? 0/10, "fuck this game".
In a way they're rendering the user average score rather meaningless, just like the Cartoon-generation did with IMDB with the "oh my god, I read this stuff as a kid - 10/10!"

My take?
- Everything makes sense in-universe
- The plot thickens, makes Ep7 make more sense
- Great character development
- Some real thrillers and suspension
- Fun
- No 70-minute "dull lull"

I'd talk more about the characters but that would be major spoiler material. Suffice to say that they were awesome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:46 pm 
Hair in the soap

Mac wrote:
I am not saying its a bad movie, by all accounts it is an enjoyable watch. I just think its a bad Star Wars movie and I am not happy with the decisions they made with it.

I'm afraid I will have the same view.

I've had at least one spoiler hinted at, and it was exactly what I didn't want to happen (and stated so, somewhere, before the movie was released).

I'm sure it's a stunning visual and aural feast, but..

Having loved the original series as a kid, I feel as if Disney & co have been slowly wiping away the first trilogy. Yet they copy the same plots and twist them into their own new vision. Does that vision sound familiar from many other mediums?

I may go watch it this week anyway. It's the only way I'll have a fully formed view of whether my future Disney Wars attendance will still be in consideration.

Last edited by NefariousKoel on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:53 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Kameolontti wrote:
- No 70-minute "dull lull"

Sorry mate but I can't see how you can justify that. One of the universal gripes I have seen has been about how Finn's side quest to the Monte Carlo planet bogged the movie down.

Rian Johnson - "The audience doesn't really want to know something interesting like Snoke's backstory and how he became the leader of the First Order, lets make 35% of the movie about how some fat asian chick falls in love with a black guy in the space of 12 hours."

Ok then.

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next